Author Topic: Why the ‘Cult of Trump’ Has Taken Hold Why the ‘Cult of Trump’ Has Taken Hold ..By Jonah Goldberg  (Read 539 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Why the ‘Cult of Trump’ Has Taken Hold
Trump’s need for praise, the tribalism of his defenders, and the rise of the imperial presidency all play a role.
By Jonah Goldberg — February 7, 2018

‘Rarely has a president changed his party as fast and profoundly as Donald J. Trump. Love him or hate him, you can no longer argue his ability to bend an entire party to his will,” writes Axios’ Jonathan Swan in a piece titled “The cult of Trump.”

A source “close to GOP leadership” tells Swan: “We’re all MAGAs now.”

I’m not quite sure it’s MAGA hats for as far as the eye can see, but Swan is right about the broader point. There has been a sea change on the right with Trump at the helm. And not just for HMS Grand Old Party.

To anyone who hasn’t lived and breathed in conservative circles, this change is both shocking and hard to comprehend. I agree it’s shocking, but it’s not so hard to comprehend.

Three distinct factors go a long way to explain it.

more
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/456155/print
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Before anyone gets too excited, Goldberg is even-handed with this, and does make several good points, such as:  "Yes, there is a cult of Trump. But that’s because we have a cult of the presidency in this country. It infects not just our understanding of the office, but of the person holding it. When Obama acted like a king — by his own definition — liberals cheered, because their loyalty was to the man, not the office."

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Before anyone gets too excited, Goldberg is even-handed with this, and does make several good points, such as:  "Yes, there is a cult of Trump. But that’s because we have a cult of the presidency in this country. It infects not just our understanding of the office, but of the person holding it. When Obama acted like a king — by his own definition — liberals cheered, because their loyalty was to the man, not the office."

And Amen.

As I have said, this people want a king/monarchy even when they insist that they don't, they just see Trump as the only one who can save the country.

Same difference.

Hell, it's been a laugh riot reading all the justifications for Trump to have the biggest military parade in mankind's history, complete with showing off our ICBMs. 

I guess it is okay when we mimic the Soviets when OUR GUY is on the throne.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline roamer_1

from the OP:

First, never before in modern American history have we had a president so transparently demanding not just loyalty but praise from his subordinates and political allies. He considers criticism of his behavior a greater offense than voting against his agenda — and so do his most ardent supporters. This creates a powerful cultural incentive to define norms down, or just defenestrate them entirely.

Yeah... Screw that. Exactly the behavior that gets my neck up.
Rubbing it in my face will not make me come along, for fear of it happening again.
No, what that will do is make me want to kick your ass.

No difference.

One is the tribal belief that the other party is an existential enemy that will do anything. And so we must be just as ruthless.

Exactly wrong. Worry about your own house first, or you'll wind up justifying anything,
Precisely why I am no longer a Republican (*spit*). I will never, ever again pull the lever for the 'big rhinestone R'.
I WILL pull the lever for that which I actually believe, and nothing else. NEVER_AGAIN.

Yes, there is a cult of Trump. But that’s because we have a cult of the presidency in this country. It infects not just our understanding of the office, but of the person holding it.

YUP. And I sure as hell ain't in it. Nor will I be.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:12:50 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline skeeter

There're two ways to save America.

First is reverse decades old social trends & immediately restore the values and attitudes in the hearts of a winning majority of voters that brought the country to greatness in the first place;

Second is learn to effectively win in the political world that exists today.

Thats it.

I dearly wish the former were possible.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The article's final paragraph:

Yes, there is a cult of Trump. But that’s because we have a cult of the presidency in this country. It infects not just our understanding of the office, but of the person holding it. When Obama acted like a king — by his own definition — liberals cheered, because their loyalty was to the man, not the office. It’s getting worse with Trump, but this dynamic has been getting worse for decades. And I suspect it won’t improve much when he’s gone.

Once again, I refer one and all to these two books, too:

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

Well there is a 1st.  I've been "womensplained"
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Well there is a 1st.  I've been "womensplained"

And, it didn't hurt a bit, did it?

Offline Frank Cannon

Because it is a lot more entertaining and fruitful than the cult of dead ender DC/NYC bubble hack Jonah Goldberg.

If turning Jonah into an irrelevant crank is the only thing Trump accomplishes in 8 years, I will be happy with that.

Offline anubias

Because it is a lot more entertaining and fruitful than the cult of dead ender DC/NYC bubble hack Jonah Goldberg.

If turning Jonah into an irrelevant crank is the only thing Trump accomplishes in 8 years, I will be happy with that.

#metoo

:thumbsup:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
And, it didn't hurt a bit, did it?

Lets not make a habit out it.  It's a mans world!   :smokin:
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Lets not make a habit out it.  It's a mans world!   :smokin:

I'll be sure to remember that.