Author Topic: Billionaire Patrick Soon-Shiong reaches deal to buy L.A. Times, San Diego Union-Tribune  (Read 754 times)

Offline endicom

Los Angeles Times
Meg James
Feb. 7, 2018

Biotech billionaire Patrick Soon-Shiong has agreed to purchase the Los Angeles Times from its parent company Tronc, restoring local ownership and perhaps ending a turbulent period for the storied 136-year-old institution.

Chicago-based Tronc on Wednesday will announce the sale of The Times and the San Diego Union-Tribune to Soon-Shiong's investment firm Nant Capital for nearly $500 million in cash, according to a source familiar with the deal. In addition to the purchase price, the deal includes the assumption of $90 million in pension liabilities.

The sale comes after a particularly stormy period for the newspaper, which has seen three editors in six months, its publisher placed on unpaid leave amid a sexual harassment investigation, and a historic vote to unionize the newsroom.

More... http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-los-angeles-times-sold-20180207-story.html

Offline endicom

Soon-Shiong supports Democrats, including Hillary in the presidential race.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Anyone see anything Wong here.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Oceander

Another left-wing mouthpiece.

Offline Frank Cannon

Soon-Shiong supports Democrats, including Hillary in the presidential race.

Oh no! Does this mean the LA Times is going to go Left now in their reporting?