Author Topic: Rand Paul's Plan to Eliminate Government Shutdowns: Automatic 1 Percent Budget Cuts  (Read 352 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Because nothing in Washington is more terrifying than the prospect of a minuscule spending reduction
By Eric Boehm

http://reason.com/blog/2018/02/06/rand-pauls-plan-to-eliminate-government/print

Government shutdowns are all the rage in Washington right now. We just had one a few weeks ago. Now, the president is already calling for another.

But while the prospect of shutting down the federal government might sound appealing, the reality of a government shutdown is expensive, wasteful, and therefore counterproductive to fiscal responsibility. The continuous threat of a government shutdown if Congress doesn't enact a budget (or at least a three-week-long continuing resolution) doesn't seem to be creating incentives for better fiscal stewardship. If anything, it's doing the opposite. Restarting the government on Jan. 23 after a three-day shutdown required Congress to authorize an additional reason.com/blog/2018/02/06/rand-pauls-plan-to-eliminate-government/print" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">http://reason.com/blog/2018/02/06/rand-pauls-plan-to-eliminate-government/print

Government shutdowns are all the rage in Washington right now. We just had one a few weeks ago. Now, the president is already calling for another.

But while the prospect of shutting down the federal government might sound appealing, the reality of a government shutdown is expensive, wasteful, and therefore counterproductive to fiscal responsibility. The continuous threat of a government shutdown if Congress doesn't enact a budget (or at least a three-week-long continuing resolution) doesn't seem to be creating incentives for better fiscal stewardship. If anything, it's doing the opposite. Restarting the government on Jan. 23 after a three-day shutdown required Congress to authorize an additional $31 billion in borrowing.

Rather than continuing to careen from near-shutdown to actual shutdown and back again, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) wants to force Congress to pass a budget by imposing a penalty that's sure to give most of Washington nightmares: a 1 percent budget cut.

Under the terms of Paul's Government Shutdown Prevention Act, which he introduced last month, Congress would agree to ongoing continuing resolutions that would kick-in if a budget was not passed on time. The catch is that the automatic CR would come with an automatic, across-the-board cut of 1 percent for all government agencies. After 90 days, if there is no budget deal, funding would be reduced by another 1 percent.

"Around here, spending 1 percent less ought to be a enough of a punishment to get people to do their jobs and do appropriations on time," Paul said Tuesday during Government Shutdown Prevention Act, which he introduced last month, Congress would agree to ongoing continuing resolutions that would kick-in if a budget was not passed on time. The catch is that the automatic CR would come with an automatic, across-the-board cut of 1 percent for all government agencies. After 90 days, if there is no budget deal, funding would be reduced by another 1 percent.

"Around here, spending 1 percent less ought to be a enough of a punishment to get people to do their jobs and do appropriations on time," Paul said Tuesday during a hearing on his bill. "We know both sides don't want spending to go down. They're all for more spending" . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline anubias

Offline LMAO

Not even worth doing
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline anubias

Not even worth doing

Good zing on them though.