Author Topic: The middle booster of SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy rocket failed to land on its drone ship [crash landing]  (Read 7129 times)

Oceander

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I guess we'll find out how good the car wax is.  After thousands of meteor showers, the comet dust still beads!
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
All while singing "Space Oddity" by David Bowie.

Or maybe the more obscure Planet P Project - Why Me?   
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

With Tesla the jury is still out, let see if they can solve the battery problem.

Bullshit. The jury has been in on Tesla for years and it is a fail. Every country that stops the EV subsidies ends up sending Tesla sales to zero. They burn through cash in unbelievable amounts a quarter. They have massive production problems. They have quality control problems.

Tesla Will Face A Cash Crunch Without A Capital Raise In The Next 90 Days

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4120184-tesla-will-face-cash-crunch-without-capital-raise-next-90-days

The ongoing deterioration of gross margins is alarming. Tesla is now claiming 18% gross margins as opposed to a corporate goal of 30%-plus gross margins.
However, even the 18% gross margin number is not credible. The reality is that, by offering high and unsustainable resale value guarantees, the company is claiming high gross margins. But such tactics go only so far. The company has to give back these gross margins when the older cars come back to Tesla for resale. Tesla includes these costs in the service business. Note that the losses in service business have increased greatly over time. In Q3, the service business gross margin was negative 20%. Adjusting for the service business, Tesla gross margin dips below 15%.
We have repeatedly pointed to the heavy discounting that Tesla uses to move to the right on the demand curve and the impact of that shift is evident. Note that in spite of a 18% jump in units from about 22K in Q2 to 26K in Q3, revenues have hardly budged. In other words, the company needed to collapse the ASPs by nearly 18% to maintain the growth narrative.
While some of the ASP decline was due to change in mix toward the lower end 75 kWh mode, discounting during the quarter to drive sales has truly been spectacular.
The company claims the discounting was a “one-time” thing in Q3 but, ironically, later in the call, discussed how the gross margins are going to be lower in Q4. Looks like Tesla’s one-time discounting, which started in Q3 of 2016, will repeat for at least one more quarter.

https://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2017/11/2/9110881-15096710371571167_origin.png

And after seeing how fraudulent other Tesla numbers are, this is probably a pumped up result based on classic Elon Non-GAAP numbers.

Offline anubias

Many American families have worked all or most of their careers, riding government contracts for "defense" and "national security," knowing full well the extent of corruption, inefficiency, etc.

Yes, indeed. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:23:16 pm by anubias »

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline edpc

The next launch will play B-52s and put a Plymouth Satellite in orbit around Planet Claire.

Offline WingNot

The next launch will play B-52s and put a Plymouth Satellite in orbit around Planet Claire.

That is a Beep beep you bleep bleep.

Offline bolobaby

A sentient, massive entity which threatens Earth in 2271, en route to find its Creator Saint Elon.... Sounds like a nice movie plot for a sequile.

@Wingnut

You may not be aware of this, but this is how the first Transformers were born.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline WingNot

@Wingnut

You may not be aware of this, but this is how the first Transformers were born.

Someone better tell Gene Roddenberry then cause Artimus Prime or whatever his name is is a Star Trek member..

Offline edpc

Offline WingNot

¿Que’?

The picture was of a Plymouth Road Runner.   Beep Beep!   

BassWrangler

I was surprised to find out that there are no thrusters on this payload. Can't figure out why SpaceX ever thought that they would never have to do any course corrections?

Because that wasn’t the point of the mission. This mission was all about proving that their heavy launch vehicle works.

Offline WingNot

Because that wasn’t the point of the mission. This mission was all about proving that their heavy launch vehicle works.

Well Hells Bells.  I'm removing the brakes on my car then.  Brakes are for quitters. I want to be like Musk. 

BassWrangler

Well Hells Bells.  I'm removing the brakes on my car then.  Brakes are for quitters. I want to be like Musk.

I once drove a Mustang with that configuration (belonged to a friend).

Offline edpc

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:29:56 pm by edpc »

Offline WingNot

I just followed the article description.   :shrug:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/12-second-street-legal-1968-plymouth-satellite/

â€œThe Satellite has only 51,000 original miles, and although someone put a Road Runner hood on it at some point, all the body panels are original."

Oh, a poseur car.  I hate poseur cars.

Offline Frank Cannon

“The Satellite has only 51,000 original miles, and although someone put a Road Runner hood on it at some point, all the body panels are original."

Oh, a poseur car.  I hate poseur cars.

They call that a "Recreation" in the hobby. It adds 20% over what the value of a Plane Jane loser car would normally be at.

Offline WingNot

They call that a "Recreation" in the hobby. It adds 20% over what the value of a Plane Jane loser car would normally be at.

Yep. Find granny's grocery getter and fake a BA Muscle car.

Offline DB

Musk just wants to brag that his Tesla cars are out of this world and that he's got more miles on a Tesla than any other car in history...

Offline edpc

Musk just wants to brag that his Tesla cars are out of this world and that he's got more miles on a Tesla than any other car in history...

Just like other Tesla models, it too will one day burst into flames.