Author Topic: Best Buy to stop selling CDs starting July 1: Report  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Best Buy to stop selling CDs starting July 1: Report
« on: February 04, 2018, 02:23:10 pm »
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/feb/3/best-buy-stop-selling-cds-starting-july-1-report/

Best Buy to stop selling CDs starting July 1: Report
By Andrew Blake
Saturday, February 3, 2018

Best Buy is reportedly slated to stop selling compact discs this summer, pressing pause amid years of slumped sales at its stores and others.

Billboard reported Friday that Best Buy plans to stop carrying CDs at its retail stores effective July 1, citing undisclosed sources.

Best Buy did not immediately return a message seeking comment, and the music magazine’s report could not be independently verified.

CD sales have been on the decline in the U.S. for years, however, and lately the business has only generated Best Buy about $40 million annually, Billboard reported — a far cry for what used to be one of the nation’s biggest music retailers.

CD sales in the U.S. market dropped by 16.3 percent from 125 million copies in 2015 to 104.8 million in 2016, according to an annual end-of-year Nielsen report released in early 2017. Taking into consideration CDs, cassettes and vinyl records, physical album sales at mass-merchant retail chain stores decreased by 24.5 percent during that same span, the report said.

Nielsen’s latest annual year report, report released last month, did not account for CD sales specifically but said that total physical album sales had dropped 16.5 percent since 2016, down to 102.9 million copies in 2017. About 14.3 million of those albums were vinyl, according to the latest report.

More at URL above...

Offline LMAO

Re: Best Buy to stop selling CDs starting July 1: Report
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 02:35:00 pm »
Look what’s happened to reel to reel, 8 track, vinyl, cassette, and it now appears to be starting, cds
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 02:44:55 pm »
They still sell them?! I haven’t purchased a CD in over a decade. Now that I think about it, thanks to iHeartRadio and Amazon Prime, I haven’t purchased any music in probably five years.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 02:47:45 pm »
Took them long enough.   888high58888
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 03:07:06 pm »
I have a ton of music CD's of all kinds of music - classical, jazz, blues, soul, pop, rock... I think the last ones I purchased were in 2008 and I purchased on Amazon. The last time I moved, I got rid of all the jewel cases and put them in binder sleeves to save space. But aside from some Christmas music, I can't remember the last time I listened to any of them. I thought of transferring them all to digital on my computer and selling the CD's but they are only worth pennies.

With the increased popularity variety of streaming options, I predict DVD's will be the next to go.

Oh and ETA, when my brother bought a new car last year, it didn't have a CD player but does have an iPod and USB jack. The Nissan Sentra I bought also last year still has a CD play, along with all the digital options including Sirrus XM radio, that was supposed to be "free" for 3 months, but nearly a year later, even though I haven't paid anything, it's still on.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 03:48:08 pm »
I have a ton of music CD's of all kinds of music - classical, jazz, blues, soul, pop, rock... I think the last ones I purchased were in 2008 and I purchased on Amazon. The last time I moved, I got rid of all the jewel cases and put them in binder sleeves to save space. But aside from some Christmas music, I can't remember the last time I listened to any of them. I thought of transferring them all to digital on my computer and selling the CD's but they are only worth pennies.

With the increased popularity variety of streaming options, I predict DVD's will be the next to go.

I went digital with all my media nearly a decade ago.spent the time to rip a couple CDs a day till my massive library was reduced to a single hard drive.  About 40g. of music and about 100 movies (around 125g). The actual cds became target practice for about a year and a half.

But like you said, it's all become an anachronism.  I haven't added to either library in years, and with the singular and very seldom expressed exception of when I want to hear an entire album for nostalgic reasons, I literally never use the music. The movies still have some intrinsic value - preserving all the kid movies for my grandkids, and for the odd bit of entertainment if I happen to have electricity but the cable (internet) is out (again extremely seldom).

What is the oddity is that AM/FM radio. a technology that is at least 50 years older, is still something I use all the time.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 04:03:09 pm »
CDs are just a waste and why continue to sell something that will just take up space at a landfill?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 04:15:52 pm »
Y'all are going to be sorry when we get hit by an EMP and you can't access your digital music anymore.  I've planned ahead!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 05:19:25 pm »
Y'all are going to be sorry when we get hit by an EMP and you can't access your digital music anymore.  I've planned ahead!

Yeah. Me too!

Offline WingNot

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 05:22:21 pm »
I miss the PBR 30's.  sniff sniff.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 05:33:18 pm »
I miss the PBR 30's.  sniff sniff.

Still got em here... Or they did last I checked (mild panic!)

Offline WingNot

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 06:04:16 pm »
They haven't sold the suitcase plus six in a while down my way. 

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 06:16:13 pm »
CDs are just a waste and why continue to sell something that will just take up space at a landfill?

They make for excellent coasters.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 06:18:23 pm »
They make for excellent coasters.

The tweekers hang them from their rear view mirrors with 12 or 14 mardi gras bead strands.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 06:42:10 pm »

I had three of those CD towers to hold all my music CD. I’m a pretty good housekeeper but truthfully not so OCD that I’d take out every CD case and dust and wipe them clean on a regular basis. So when I went to move and pack them up, a good six months of dust and grime on the cases, I wasn’t about to clean them all so I ditched the cases and put the CD’s in the binder sleeves. Oh and the towers, I tried to sell them on E-bay – no takers, then I put them out by the dumpster with a sign that said “free” and no one took them.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 07:08:05 pm »
They haven't sold the suitcase plus six in a while down my way.

All you can do then is buy two suitcases.  :shrug:
The bastards.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 07:37:50 pm »
All you can do then is buy two suitcases.  :shrug:
The bastards.

We will have to soldier on. 

Online roamer_1