Author Topic: Dow drops 300 points as stocks sell-off intensifies  (Read 1822 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Dow drops 300 points as stocks sell-off intensifies
« on: January 30, 2018, 03:12:06 pm »
Skipping the political spin from both sides, just as the rapid increase wasn't necessarily a good thing, this rapid drop isn't necessarily a bad thing. Both were related in part to the value of the Dollar, which has been on the rise finally..
https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/usd/8412-the-us-dollar-is-making-a-come-back

"We've had a unilateral move higher [in stocks] to start things off and people are realizing this is not sustainable," one strategist said.
The Dow and S&P 500 posted their worst session of the year on Monday.
Long-dated Treasury yields climbed further on Tuesday, with the U.S. 10-year Treasury yield trading near levels not seen since 2014, amid fears of higher inflation....

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/30/us-stock-futures-dow-data-earnings-and-politics-on-the-agenda.html

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 03:12:44 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline thackney

Re: Dow drops 300 points as stocks sell-off intensifies
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 03:17:25 pm »
Hope I can get back to the office in time to buy back what I sold last week.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 03:18:14 pm »
—CNBC's Gina Francolla and Chris Hayes contributed to this report.

Curious what a Commie Pinko talking head at PMSLSD has to do with an alleged straight business news piece?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 03:19:06 pm »

No access to a computer or phone where you are posting from now?

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 03:33:47 pm »

Frank Cannon's BS detector just went off!
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 03:35:32 pm »
I will say this: my gene editing picks have done very well for me.

Even with today's down action, I'm looking at total gains of...

NTLA - 30%
EDIT - 122%
CRSP - 117%
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 03:38:03 pm »
Frank Cannon's BS detector just went off!

It's stuck on full ...just like the gas gauge on his Lincoln Mark V
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 05:32:51 pm »

I wanted to search around some before I bought again.  General Dynamics didn't drop that much, looking for a better buy, wanted the computer for research.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 04:53:34 pm »
I just sold off my Dr Pepper when it announced its purchase by Keurig.

A solid 23% gain on that announcement. Will buy back once the euphoria settles back down.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 05:17:51 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 06:23:15 pm »
I just sold off my Dr Pepper when it announced its purchase by Keurig.

A solid 23% gain on that announcement. Will buy back once the euphoria settles back down.

Always fun trying to guess where the bottom is on a stock and then trying to buy.  Buy low and sell high is harder than many would understand.  Buying in when most are jumping out and then selling when most think it is a great buy.

My problem is often my own greed, a limit order too low to ever get in.  Then when I do get in, realizing I jumped too soon, not the bottom yet...

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 09:17:04 pm »
Always fun trying to guess where the bottom is on a stock and then trying to buy.  Buy low and sell high is harder than many would understand.  Buying in when most are jumping out and then selling when most think it is a great buy.

My problem is often my own greed, a limit order too low to ever get in.  Then when I do get in, realizing I jumped too soon, not the bottom yet...
I have found in retirement it is advantageous not to try to time correctly, but to undertake action.

First, one will make gains even though they may not be as much as one could.

Secondly, any losses(tough in current climate) are useful to offset the gains on page one of the 1040 at year end.

Companies like Enron taught millions this credo.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 09:17:45 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 09:41:41 pm »
I have found in retirement it is advantageous not to try to time correctly, but to undertake action.

First, one will make gains even though they may not be as much as one could.

Secondly, any losses(tough in current climate) are useful to offset the gains on page one of the 1040 at year end.

Companies like Enron taught millions this credo.

Yes, I'm learning to accept that, and trying to learn to be patient.  I'm good at not operating at a panic, no one transaction is going to make or break me.

I'm also learning to keep my own limits.  If I set a limit order to buy if it drops another $0.50, don't keep second guessing it or chasing it if it doesn't go down that far.

And once it rises enough, at or near the target, set a trailing stop loss at 1% and don't look back after it sells.  It may not be the top dollar, but I made my profit, now look for the next one.

I haven't traded stocks for a lot of years.  I used to always go for growth cap funds and just let it ride forever.  And most of my retirement is still in that stuff.  But I'm trying, more out of curiosity, with a piece of it on individual stocks.  Last couple years I've risen a little bit more than the Dow or S&P500 so I'm doing okay.

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 01:35:16 am »
Yes, I'm learning to accept that, and trying to learn to be patient.  I'm good at not operating at a panic, no one transaction is going to make or break me.

I'm also learning to keep my own limits.  If I set a limit order to buy if it drops another $0.50, don't keep second guessing it or chasing it if it doesn't go down that far.

And once it rises enough, at or near the target, set a trailing stop loss at 1% and don't look back after it sells.  It may not be the top dollar, but I made my profit, now look for the next one.

I haven't traded stocks for a lot of years.  I used to always go for growth cap funds and just let it ride forever.  And most of my retirement is still in that stuff.  But I'm trying, more out of curiosity, with a piece of it on individual stocks.  Last couple years I've risen a little bit more than the Dow or S&P500 so I'm doing okay.
I buy lots of individual stocks but keep growth stocks in check with value and dividend stocks predominating.  I Know that has missed the outstanding growth in Dow in the past year, but, being retired, dividends being paid is more important than ups and downs of stock price.

And I never use brokers or online purchasing agents like etrade. 

The less people between me and the company lessens the opportunity for others to skim off my holdings.

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 01:06:20 pm »
online purchasing agents like etrade. 

All I do is through Fidelity online.  I can set up my limits over the weekend and not have to follow it too close.  I still try to check in when I have time, but that is often out of my control.

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 10:43:38 pm »
All I do is through Fidelity online.  I can set up my limits over the weekend and not have to follow it too close.  I still try to check in when I have time, but that is often out of my control.
With the 666 point drop in the Dow today, may be time to make that jump back in.

I am kinda wary though with the number 666.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 04:09:53 am »
With the 666 point drop in the Dow today, may be time to make that jump back in.

I certainly hope not.  I'm hoping this is the run up to Black Monday 2.0.

I want to make money investing in companies that provide value, not gambling that central banks will do "Whatever it takes"[TM] to sustain this bubble another day/week/month/year/decade.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 10:23:07 pm »
I certainly hope not.  I'm hoping this is the run up to Black Monday 2.0.

I want to make money investing in companies that provide value, not gambling that central banks will do "Whatever it takes"[TM] to sustain this bubble another day/week/month/year/decade.
Am not attempting to time a market.  I posted to someone who was just about willing to jump back in, and the drop should have helped him make that decision.

I am certainly not hoping for a Black Monday as I wish our economy and stock market the thrive and just have small tweaks from time to time, not something ruinous for anybody at your benefit.