Author Topic: The Pentagon reportedly fears if it gives Trump military options for North Korea, he'll use them  (Read 624 times)

Offline Suppressed

The Pentagon reportedly fears if it gives Trump military options for North Korea, he'll use them
6:37 a.m. ET
http://theweek.com/speedreads/752706/pentagon-reportedly-fears-gives-trump-military-options-north-korea-hell-use

National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster and others in the White House are growing frustrated at what they see as the Pentagon's reluctance to provide President Trump with plans to attack North Korea, The New York Times reports, citing officials. McMaster reportedly argues that for Trump's threats of "fire and fury" to be credible, he has to have military options, from a "bloody nose" strike to attempting to take out Pyongyang's entire nuclear arsenal. The Pentagon, the Times says, fears "giving the president too many options ... could increase the odds that he will act."

Tensions have bubbled up with the news that Trump dropped his nomination of Victor Cha to be ambassador to South Korea because, Cha says, he pushed hard against a military strike against North Korea. But they've been simmering for months, the Times reports:

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
Eh, with all the corruption in the FBI, I'm skeptical towards the pentagon too
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Offline Victoria33

@Suppressed
@CatherineofAragon

Before he was elected, I said his teen-age to adult behavior causing chaos every day, would lead him to start a war so he could be the "best ever winner" of a war.  I still think that.

Offline endicom

I'm skeptical of this story.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
@Suppressed
@CatherineofAragon

Before he was elected, I said his teen-age to adult behavior causing chaos every day, would lead him to start a war so he could be the "best ever winner" of a war.  I still think that.

Next time you have a thought.  Let it go.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline anubias

Next time you have a thought.  Let it go.

It’s mind-boggling.  The man has managed to fight off and survive all the attacks coming for him from every direction and there are some that still think he’s crazy, stupid, and has the emotional stability of a teenager.  With the stress he has handled, the man has to have nerves of steel.

Oceander

It’s mind-boggling.  The man has managed to fight off and survive all the attacks coming for him from every direction and there are some that still think he’s crazy, stupid, and has the emotional stability of a teenager.  With the stress he has handled, the man has to have nerves of steel.

That’s ridiculous.  The one has nothing to do with the other.  Just because someone is capable of tending off attacks doesn’t make him any more or less a psychopath.

Offline WingNot

That’s ridiculous.  The one has nothing to do with the other.  Just because someone is capable of tending off attacks doesn’t make him any more or less a psychopath.

Nice to see you refer to the POTUS as a psychopath.  Nice job.

Oceander

Nice to see you refer to the POTUS as a psychopath.  Nice job.

I said more or less. That you simply assumed I was stating a fact says a lot about you and your prejudices. 

Offline WingNot

I said more or less. That you simply assumed I was stating a fact says a lot about you and your prejudices.

Oh Bullshit.  More or less we know how you roll with your feelings of the  POTUS.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

You should be.

You think for once second after the Arab Spring, Benghazi, the Global Warming focus and the sexual experimentation petri Dish Obama turned everything into there that it isn't as wholly corrupted and filled with 'deep staters' as the other Alphabets?

Presidents come and go.  Political officers and analysts and Alphabet agents remain long after.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Oceander

Oh Bullshit.  More or less we know how you roll with your feelings of the  POTUS.

Yeah, I think he’s a bit of an azshole, a bit of an idiot, and a loose cannon who revels in creating problems and messes - like reality TV - but I don’t think he’s a psychopath and wouldn’t give him that much credit.  Psychopaths tend to have more self-control than he does. 

I think that on balance he’ll end up being a mediocre president like Bush II. 

Offline WingNot

Yeah, I think he’s a bit of an azshole, a bit of an idiot, and a loose cannon who revels in creating problems and messes - like reality TV - but I don’t think he’s a psychopath and wouldn’t give him that much credit.  Psychopaths tend to have more self-control than he does. 

I think that on balance he’ll end up being a mediocre president like Bush II.

On balance? I don't give a rats ass about a popularity contest and poll ratings.   

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Aren't there Olympic games scheduled in South Korea this year?
(I don't follow the Olympics, couldn't care less, really)

I'll speculate that any action Mr. Trump wants to take will have to wait until those games have concluded -- perhaps involving a last-ditch effort to get the Chinese "on board".

Having said that, if we were to take some kind of limited action against the Norks -- and pull it off -- this would guarantee a second term for Mr. Trump, and notch America's position in the world upwards a few steps. And push China down a bit.

Offline anubias

He wasn’t accused of being a psychopath.  He was accused of having the emotional stability of a teenager.

Offline anubias

You accuse him of being “More or less of a psychopath” and now you claim Wingnut is prejudiced for calling you out on it?  Like I said, mind-boggling.

**nononono*