Author Topic: Atlanta Fed upgrades U.S. first-quarter GDP growth view to above 5 percent  (Read 601 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Atlanta Fed upgrades U.S. first-quarter GDP growth view to above 5 percent

February 1, 2018 / 9:52 AM / Reuters staff

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The U.S. economy is on track to grow at a 5.4 percent annualized rate in the first quarter following the latest data on manufacturing and construction spending, the Atlanta Federal Reserve’s GDPNow forecast model showed on Thursday

snip

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-economy-atlantafed/atlanta-fed-upgrades-u-s-first-quarter-gdp-growth-view-to-above-5-percent-idUSKBN1FL644
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Atlanta Fed upgrades U.S. first-quarter GDP growth view to above 5 percent
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 07:09:00 pm »
Just imagine what would happen if we REALLY took all the chains off our economy!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline anubias

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 09:41:52 pm »
The commiecrats are going to hate this, all the while claiming it is due to O’s Keynesian economic policies.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 10:27:02 pm »
Interest rates are going to rise as a result of this.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:39:30 pm »
A note of caution:   The Atlanta Fed's tracker has shown to have reliability issues in the past. In particular, the model's sensitivity to the ISM manufacturing index has led the gauge astray multiple times, causing growth to be overstated. And note that the ISM numbers were the principle impetus for the raise in growth projections.

Since 2015, ISM boosts have caused the Atlanta Fed to overstate growth by 0.8 percentage point on average, including 1.9 percentage points in the fourth-quarter tracking on Nov. 1, according to CNBC calculations.

I will concede this, even if they overstate it by 1 percentage point, or even 1.5 percentage points, That would still be way above 3% growth!