Author Topic: Sibanye gold miners in South Africa stuck underground, not in danger  (Read 363 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Sibanye gold miners in South Africa stuck underground, not in danger
Reuters Staff

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - Sibanye-Stillwater said on Thursday that over 1,000 miners were stuck underground at its Beatrix gold mine in South Africa after a storm knocked out power, but they were not in danger.

Spokesman James Wellsted said the miners were safe and receiving food and water. Power was being restored to the mine but there was not yet enough to bring the miners to the surface.

The National Union of Mineworkers said 65 mineworkers had been rescued but more than 1,000 remained underground.

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sibanye-gold-miners/sibanye-gold-miners-in-south-africa-stuck-underground-not-in-danger-idUSKBN1FL581

The good news, is that even with the loss of power, per this report, they are not in danger but many miners are down there.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 04:09:25 pm by TomSea »

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Sibanye gold miners in South Africa stuck underground, not in danger
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 04:14:36 pm »
I saw this movie before. It wasn't bad....

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 04:37:38 pm »
I was a mile down in a Canadian mine during a cave-in alarm.  We all moved to the emergency shelter (basically, a tube drilled into the rock, with metal pipe emplaced for reinforcement and benches on either side to sit, with supplies). We had to shelter-in-place for a while, and it was an odd feeling when the vault door was locked shut with us in there.  Fortunately, it was just a drill that lasted an hour.

Because the mine is noisy and no alarms could be heard, and lights wouldn't be seen in all the tunnels and with flashing lights on equipment, the way the alarm is given is via odor.  They pump a stink through the ventilation system.

So these miners will have some time to twiddle their thumbs...I hope they're all safe in the end, though.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 05:50:51 pm »
All 955 miners trapped in S. Africa rescued
Latest update : 02/02/2018
http://m.france24.com/en/20180202-all-955-miners-trapped-africa-rescued?ref=tw_i
© AFP / by Beatrice Debut with Susan Njanji in Johannesburg | One South African union says the mine must remain shut until a full investigation is conducted

THEUNISSEN (AFRIQUE DU SUD) (AFP) -
All 955 gold miners who were trapped underground for more than a day in South Africa following a power cut resurfaced unharmed on Friday, and were greeted by overjoyed relatives waiting at the site.

"Everybody's out," mine spokesman James Wellsted told AFP, adding that there were no deaths or serious injuries reported.

There were "cases of dehydration and high blood pressure but nothing serious", he said.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 06:09:58 pm »
Good news!