Author Topic: Alaska Becomes Latest State To Request Limits On US Offshore Drilling  (Read 1266 times)

Offline thackney

Alaska Becomes Latest State To Request Limits On US Offshore Drilling
https://www.rigzone.com/news/wire/alaska_becomes_latest_state_to_request_limits_on_us_offshore_drilling-30-jan-2018-153331-article/
January 30, 2018

...While Walker supports offshore oil development, he said the Interior Department should focus on the most prospective areas off Alaska – the Beaufort and Chukchi seas in the Arctic and Cook Inlet in southern Alaska – and drop all others from the leasing plan.

In asking for proposed lease sales to be dropped, Walker, an independent, joins governors of several other coastal states after Zinke's unexpected move to exempt Florida from the department's plans soon after the initial announcement.

"Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke is a partner with Alaska in many resource development projects, but a key threat in the effort to achieve a vibrant offshore program in Alaska is creating the false impression that there is an imminent attempt to foster development along our entire coast,” Walker said in a statement.

Proposed lease sales for other offshore regions in Alaska, in areas spanning the Bering Sea and Gulf of Alaska, should be removed from the plan, Walker said. The Interior Department should also maintain long-established buffers for Native Inupiat whalers and a traditional 25-mile no-leasing buffer along the Chukchi coast, the statement said.

Walker's comments echo those of the all-Republican Alaska Congressional delegation, which in a letter to Zinke on Friday asked the department to keep the Chukchi, Beaufort and Cook Inlet sales in the plan but cut the 11 proposed sales in the Bering Sea and Gulf of Alaska....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Alaska Becomes Latest State To Request Limits On US Offshore Drilling
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 03:16:41 pm »
I wonder if this has something to do with Alaska not getting the 90% of royalties they currently get on other federal lands?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 03:18:22 pm »
I wonder if this has something to do with Alaska not getting the 90% of royalties they currently get on other federal lands?

Bingo.

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 03:21:14 pm »

Alaska has a history of protesting anything that might mess with Bering Sea and other fisheries.

When I was living up there, a dam for gold mining tailings was a constantly protested for fear it might fail and pollute nearby fishing areas.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 03:29:04 pm »
I see nothing wrong with states having input in what happens offshore.   Its good to see the Feds backing off.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 07:13:48 pm »
I see nothing wrong with states having input in what happens offshore.   Its good to see the Feds backing off.

That's what federalism is all about. Sovereign states exercising their powers under the constitution.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 09:20:08 pm »
That's what federalism is all about. Sovereign states exercising their powers under the constitution.
Amen.

As long as they do not do overly at the detriment of the others, which can happen in federal waters.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington