Author Topic: President Trump is Right – US Markets Up Nearly 50% (44%) Since 2016 Election!  (Read 1355 times)

rangerrebew

President Trump is Right – US Markets Up Nearly 50% (44%) Since 2016 Election!
January 26, 2018 by Jim Hoft

Guest post by Joe Hoft

President Trump gave a speech today at Devos to world government, academic and business leaders at the World Economic Forum. He stated in his speech that the US stock markets are up due to his policies and programs where the markets would be down by the opposite amount had Hillary won!

President Trump is right. He stated that US markets are up by nearly 50% since his election.  (The Dow is up 44% since the 2016 election as of yesterday.)  He also stated that the markets have hit 84 all time highs since the election.  He actually understated the correct amount.  As of yesterday, with the Dow reaching another all time high, the Dow reached its 98th all time high since the election.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/01/president-trump-is-right-us-markets-up-nearly-50-44-since-election/

Offline Applewood

Not necessarily.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

The stock market is not a reliable proxy for the health and welfare of main street. 

Offline Applewood

Care to expand?

The stock market was going up before Trump took office.   It's overdue for a major fall.  Will that be attributable to Trump, too?

And as @Oceander said, the market is really not a good indicator of overall economic health.  We can have  a robust stock market, but a 50% unemployment rate. 

As for the other economic indicators, those figures come from the government, which has been fudging most of the numbers for years -- particularly during the Obama administration.  Their methods of calculating such factors as unemployment did not change once Trump took office, so most likely, the numbers they are producing now are just as phony as the ones they produced during Obama's administration.

That all said, there are a few good signs of improvement.  But they just might be attributable to some temporary euphoria over the fact that the heavy hand of the Obama administration is gone, and not necessarily because of Trump or anything he might have done.  It's just too early to set off the fireworks.

Offline roamer_1

The stock market is not a reliable proxy for the health and welfare of main street.

That's right. When groceries start getting cheaper and inventories 'in stock' at local counters start going up, that is main street coming back. National markets mean nothing till that happens.

Offline Frank Cannon

That's right. When groceries start getting cheaper and inventories 'in stock' at local counters start going up, that is main street coming back. National markets mean nothing till that happens.

Inventories don't mean shit anymore. Companies and stores have things so fined tuned to have exactly what they need because inventories are overhead and overhead costs money.

Offline roamer_1

Inventories don't mean shit anymore. Companies and stores have things so fined tuned to have exactly what they need because inventories are overhead and overhead costs money.

Not quite true. True that JIT has wrecked on demand inventories, but when you can't get #1-#3 turn-over items without ordering, that is absurdity. Example: Around here square-body Chevy pickups are still easily a quarter of the pickups on the road... When the local O'Rielly's and NAPA don't have spark plugs oil filters and air filters in stock... Guaranteed high volume sale items with pretty short turnover time... Something is really wrong. They're keeping it very close to the bone.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 11:14:44 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Frank Cannon

Not quite true. True that JIT has wrecked on demand inventories, but when you can't get #1-#3 turn-over items without ordering, that is absurdity. Example: Around here square-body Chevy pickups are still easily a quarter of the pickups on the road... When the local O'Rielly's and NAPA don't have spark plugs oil filters and air filters in stock... Guaranteed high volume sale items with pretty short turnover time... Something is really wrong. They're keeping it very close to the bone.

I just did the plugs on my 90 Suburban and I had a host of choices for plugs wires and cap from Auto Zone, Advance and Napa in stock. If I wanted something stupid like platinum plugs for it, they can get them in a day. It could be that your problem is location. Also there may be a lot of square bodies on the road in your area, as are in mine, but what is the call for parts for them. A lot of guy never change plug so there may not be enough of a call to waste valuable inventory space on them when they are moving a lot of Hyundai Accent plugs.

Offline roamer_1

It could be that your problem is location.

You're making my point. Main Street is local or regional at best.

Also there may be a lot of square bodies on the road in your area, as are in mine, but what is the call for parts for them. A lot of guy never change plug so there may not be enough of a call to waste valuable inventory space on them when they are moving a lot of Hyundai Accent plugs.

Nope. Because Chevy square bodies come from before the stupidity of today, where every year and model brings a new part number for nearly everything, Square body parts span twenty years and are more likely turnover than any of the Hyundai Accent (or I would argue, nearly any) spark plugs they stock... I  might even argue more turnover than 90's through current pickups. There is ubiquity even yet in in that, which the 'designer parts' model of today  cannot provide.

Offline Frank Cannon

You're making my point. Main Street is local or regional at best.

You're an outlier. Wherever you live is not indicative of prosperity going on through the country right now.

BTW, I live in the sticks and my Autozone had a front caliper in stock for my '03 Disco II when it seized in the fall. I'm the only moron in 3 counties that has one of those shitboxes. Your auto parts store not having a spark plug for an small block Chevy with HEI is absurd on all fronts. 

Offline roamer_1

You're an outlier. Wherever you live is not indicative of prosperity going on through the country right now.

Maybe. But I talk a lot with my cousins in KS and CO, and my brother in Nashville, and all report the same - in spirit, not according to this particular example...

BTW, I live in the sticks and my Autozone had a front caliper in stock for my '03 Disco II when it seized in the fall. I'm the only moron in 3 counties that has one of those shitboxes.

Heh. Had to look that one up. What ever possessed you to buy a Land Rover? I can almost do you worse, as I am picking up an old style  International Scout. Except that it's been lifted and is 100% Chevified.

Your auto parts store not having a spark plug for an small block Chevy with HEI is absurd on all fronts.

Exactly right. But there it is.