Author Topic: Long dead Zombie Satellite wakes up 13 years later  (Read 1006 times)

Offline endicom

Long dead Zombie Satellite wakes up 13 years later
« on: January 27, 2018, 02:54:34 am »
Watts Up With That
Anthony Watts
Ja. 26, 2018

LONG-DEAD SPACECRAFT WAKES UP 13 YEARS LATER

In 2005, a NASA spacecraft named “IMAGE” mysteriously went silent, abruptly ending a successful mission to study Earth’s magnetosphere. Thirteen years later, it’s back. On Jan. 20, 2018, an amateur astronomer in Canada picked up radio transmissions from IMAGE, alive after all. The satellite may have been chattering away at Earth for years unheard and unnoticed. Now NASA is working to regain contact and possibly revive a key asset for space weather research and nowcasting

Amateur astronomer Scott Tilley has a hobby: He hunts spy satellites. Using an S-band radio antenna in Roberts Creek, British Columbia, he regularly scans the skies for radio signals from classified objects orbiting Earth. Since he started 5 years ago, Tilley has bagged dozens of secret or unlisted satellites. “It’s a lot of fun,” he confesses.

More... https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/01/26/long-dead-zombie-satellite-wakes-up-13-years-later/

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: Long dead Zombie Satellite wakes up 13 years later
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 05:17:03 am »
Don't Open.  Dead Inside.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn