Author Topic: Abandoned hunting dog rescued after retrieving pheasant for surprised hunter  (Read 712 times)

Offline Suppressed

Abandoned hunting dog rescued after retrieving pheasant for surprised hunter
By Shannon Marvel, Dakota Media Group Jan 16, 2018
http://www.thepublicopinion.com/news/local_news/abandoned-hunting-dog-rescued-after-retrieving-pheasant-for-surprised-hunter/article_21c11b62-facf-11e7-aa15-4b9b3040b658.html

River, a yellow Labrador, was found by a hunter Jan. 4 near Sand Lake National Wildlife Refuge, after returning a bird to the surprised hunter. (Dakota Media Group photo by Shannon Marvel)

Several days in bitter cold weather without food, water and shelter weren’t enough to dull the hunting instinct of a yellow Labrador — a skill that might have saved her life.

The dog was found Jan. 4 by a hunter north of state Highway 10 near the Sand Lake Wildlife Refuge after it retrieved the downed bird and returned it to a nearby hunter. The surprised hunter contacted U.S. Fish and Wildlife officials.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The dog may well have been lost,but I seriously doubt he was abandoned. Hunting dogs get off on a trail sometime,and don't know when to stop following it. Sometimes it's the next day and they are miles away before they give up,and by then their masters have given up looking for them and gone home.

I live in a rural area,and it's pretty common for stray hunting dogs to show up in my yard,looking for a human to help them. Most have collars with their owners names and phone numbers,so they are no problem. Sometimes they have collars missing name tags and phone numbers,and I just call the SPCA to come get them. In fact,I had to do that for a beagle/basset hound mix that showed up lonesome and hungry in my yard not long ago. Very nice,very friendly dog,but lost.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!