Author Topic: New York pushes energy storage to solve renewable power's biggest problem  (Read 1095 times)

Offline thackney

New York pushes energy storage to solve renewable power's biggest problem
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/new-york-pushes-energy-storage-to-solve-renewable-powers-biggest-problem/article/2645645
 Jan 16, 2018

...To reach the renewable power target, Cuomo wants to deploy 1,500 megawatts of energy storage by 2025.

That's a bigger target than California's first-in-the-nation 1,300-megawatt mandate, although New York’s deadline is five years later, when storage technology is expected to be cheaper.

About 800 megawatts of battery energy storage is deployed across the U.S. currently, according to Burwen.

Most importantly to advocates, Cuomo is putting money behind his energy storage goal. He committed $200 million from the NY Green Bank, which supports clean energy projects through funding mostly provided by private capital from banks.

The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority will invest an additional $60 million in pilot storage projects....

- - - - - - - - - -

It is very frustrating to me that they measure energy storage in power units, rather than energy units.  Watts isn't energy; Watthours is energy.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

From article:

While Cuomo’s vision for energy storage was met with broad support from renewable advocates, some want the governor to assure the investments won’t increase costs for power customers.

New flash to New Yorkers:  Using batteries will ONLY increase costs to power customers.  This simply increases the cost of using renewables, produces zero power generation, and is targeting renewable reliability only.

Keep spending dollars on renewables and your tax money on these schemes.  The rest of us who avoid doing so will reap the rewards.   
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

From article:

While Cuomo’s vision for energy storage was met with broad support from renewable advocates, some want the governor to assure the investments won’t increase costs for power customers.

New flash to New Yorkers:  Using batteries will ONLY increase costs to power customers.  This simply increases the cost of using renewables, produces zero power generation, and is targeting renewable reliability only.

Keep spending dollars on renewables and your tax money on these schemes.  The rest of us who avoid doing so will reap the rewards.

I don't think that is going to be true.  The already increasing addition of solar and wind have added instability to the grid that have increased cost, sometimes to the point of driving the spot market price to negative.  Battery systems have the ability to help stabilize the grid, as well as provide offpeak load to deliver onpeak power.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I don't think that is going to be true.  The already increasing addition of solar and wind have added instability to the grid that have increased cost, sometimes to the point of driving the spot market price to negative.  Battery systems have the ability to help stabilize the grid, as well as provide offpeak load to deliver onpeak power.
Ah, spending money to destabilize the energy grid, so you then can create 'savings' by spending even more money to stabilize the grid.

How is that not like a typical govt scheme to first create problems then seek money to correct them?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington