Author Topic: Shock poll: Americans want massive cuts to legal immigration  (Read 672 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Shock poll: Americans want massive cuts to legal immigration
« on: January 23, 2018, 04:57:51 am »
Shock poll: Americans want massive cuts to legal immigration

Cutting chain migration even more popular than legalizing Dreamers

By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Time  |   Monday, January 22, 2018

A government shutdown is in the rearview mirror, but the outlines of a looming immigration deal remain murky with the sides still far apart — though the latest polling suggests President Trump’s bargaining position may be strong.

A Harvard-Harris poll taken in the run-up to the shutdown found Americans strongly support granting citizenship rights to illegal immigrant Dreamers. But they also back Mr. Trump’s three demands for a border wall, limits to the chain of family migration and an end to the Diversity Visa Lottery.

snip

The public may see the issue differently, according to the Harvard-Harris poll of American adults, taken Jan. 17-19.

The survey asked respondents what level of overall legal immigration they would like to see.

A stunning 35 percent said the level should be fewer than 250,000 a year, while another 19 percent said it should be 250,000 to 500,000. Combined, they make up a majority looking for a cut of at least 50 percent over current annual levels. Another 18 percent said they want to see 500,000 to 1 million.

Just 19 percent of respondents said they want an increase over 1 million.

Mr. Trump hasn’t said recently what legal immigration number he wants to see, but he has been vocal on changing the way the U.S. picks immigrants. He said skills and ability to assimilate in the U.S. should be weighted over extended family ties.

The poll says voters agree by a 79 percent to 21 percent margin.

That is even bigger than the 77 percent to 23 percent margin that supports legalization for Dreamers.

More than 60 percent of voters said current border security is inadequate, and 54 percent said they support “building a combination of physical and electronic barriers across the U.S.-Mexico border.”

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/22/shock-poll-us-wants-massive-cuts-legal-immigration/
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

Re: Shock poll: Americans want massive cuts to legal immigration
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 04:59:12 am »
Ammunition to tell Durbin and graham they are full of you know what, re. what our citizens want.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 05:02:59 am »
Shock? The sitting President ran and won on the issue. I don't find it the least bit shocking that people are not touchy feely about illegals like the Rats and MSM would like you to believe.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 05:34:15 am »
Shock? The sitting President ran and won on the issue. I don't find it the least bit shocking that people are not touchy feely about illegals like the Rats and MSM would like you to believe.

Good that we agree on this. That is why I posted it. 

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 04:59:13 pm »
bump

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 06:32:56 pm »

888high58888

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 06:40:58 pm »
The GOP has video and statements from several key democrats to match the claim that dems care more about foreigners, than US citizens and our military.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 06:56:30 pm »
Ammunition to tell Durbin and graham they are full of you know what, re. what our citizens want.

Little Dicky is from East St Louis, the shithole of Illinois if there ever was one .  I just don't understand his interest in illegals.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 12:53:33 am »
This American wants ZERO immigration for, say, 50 years.

We're all "full up".

We don't need any more.

We should be sending some back.

NO AMNESTY!

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 01:27:03 am »
Mr. Trump hasn’t said recently what legal immigration number he wants to see, but he has been vocal on changing the way the U.S. picks immigrants. He said skills and ability to assimilate in the U.S. should be weighted over extended family ties.

The poll says voters agree by a 79 percent to 21 percent margin.

That is even bigger than the 77 percent to 23 percent margin that supports legalization for Dreamers.

More than 60 percent of voters said current border security is inadequate, and 54 percent said they support “building a combination of physical and electronic barriers across the U.S.-Mexico border.”

Okay, there's two bills right there.  Screw this "comprehensive" crap.  The people overwhelmingly want changes to how we determine who comes here.  Now, I'm no Karl Rove, but my political gut instinct says that if you control all three houses and you give the people what they really want, they just might appreciate it.

I say two bills because funding the "wall" probably (currently) requires 60 votes.  Make the votes separate so that ending chain migration can pass with a simple majority.  But let's at least put the "wall" up for a vote and get our "representatives" on record.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 02:08:02 am »
Very few citizens would wish otherwise. Simple logic is demonstrated in that poll.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline DB

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 02:44:57 am »
We peons have repeatedly told our overlords we don't want the illegal invaders destroying our communities but they do otherwise after they get our vote.

It is too late for California. It's done.