Author Topic: Texas City Funds Program That Pays Homeless to Pick Up Trash  (Read 969 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Texas City Funds Program That Pays Homeless to Pick Up Trash
« on: January 22, 2018, 06:03:37 pm »
The city of Fort Worth is paying homeless people to pick up trash as part of a unique program to clean up the city and turn lives around.

Frank Crist, 53, earns $10 an hour to pick up litter in the area southeast of downtown where many homeless people live. He also gets paid vacation and benefits.

"It just makes you feel better keeping it cleaned up," he said. "It means a lot. I mean, with my record and stuff, I really had no other place that would hire me."...

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/national-international/Fort-Worth-Pays-Homeless-People-to-Pick-Up-Trash-470183833.html?_osource=taboola-recirc

This might actually work.  And, it's not a government plan.

Offline roamer_1

Re: Texas City Funds Program That Pays Homeless to Pick Up Trash
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 06:09:23 pm »

Up here it's a punishment reserved almost exclusively for 'non-violent' troublesome yoots, and for drunks, falling under the aegis of 'Community Service'. I would be loathe to give that up... So many of my friends (and I myself) have donned that hunter orange vest and all the embarrassment that went with it. Without it, what is left is 30 days in the can.

Offline Suppressed

Re: Texas City Funds Program That Pays Homeless to Pick Up Trash
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 04:49:49 am »

Benjamin Franklin thought so...and his was government:
https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/f/franklin/benjamin/autobiography/chapter13.html
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn