Author Topic: NVIDIA Tells Retailers To Sell To Gamers, Not Cryptominers As GPU Shortage Causes Extreme Price Goug  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Suppressed

NVIDIA Tells Retailers To Sell To Gamers, Not Cryptominers As GPU Shortage Causes Extreme Price Gouging
by Rob Williams — Saturday, January 20, 2018
https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-tells-retailers-to-sell-to-gamers-not-cryptominers

There are many examples today of how PC gaming is flourishing better than ever. You only have to look towards the eSports market to understand how alive and well the ecosystem is. Games like PUBG are being played by the millions, and naturally, that's making many more want to explore the PC gaming world and the components of a killer gaming rig that are the tools of the trade.

Typical crypto-mining rig - one guess as to why GPU prices are so high right now...

This should be a time when every hard-core PC gamer should be gloating and grinning from ear-to-ear. PC gaming was never dead; it's actually picking up steam in a big way and so is the DIY PC build market. However, there is one thing that's throwing as a wrench in many a PC builder's gears currently and that's pricing. There's no way around it and it's downright painful right now. Cryptocurrency mining isn't the only reason for the currently high cost of a new gaming PC, but it's the one dynamic acting as a true roadblock to people building a new gaming PC themselves. It's also serious motivation to consider a pre-built system, even if you can build one yourself.

Memory prices are getting more wallet-punishing right now as well, but not to the extent of GPUs. A GeForce GTX 1080 from NVIDIA carries an MSRP of $499, and there have been many occasions in the past where cards at that price could be found on etailers like Amazon and Newegg. Today, those same cards can cost over $1,000. Meanwhile, GeForce GTX 1080 Tis now can only be found for roughly $1,250.

[...]

Here's a bit more proof of how crypto-mining is hurting PC gaming...

GTX 1080 Six Pack Newegg
NewEgg's Six-Pack Of GTX 1080s For Only $6700?

That's not one, not two (for SLI), but six GeForce GTX 1080 cards priced at $6,700. That's a $3,700 premium over buying the cards at what NVIDIA markets them for an MSRP. We're actually in a strange period where Tech reviewers essentially have no reason to even review GPUs currently and subsequently recommend any, due to complete lack of value proposition at these prices. [...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Shelves now look like this:

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Oceander

That’s just insane. 

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
That’s just insane.

Whats insane is its a losing enterprise.   When prices were sane it would take you 18 -24 months to make enough to pay for the price of the hardware.  Ive seen people putting these into their work datacenter and let their company pay the electric cost.

It makes no sense.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
And all that for a cryptocurrency.
The Republic is lost.