Author Topic: A Fort Bend engineer's warning, 25 years old, comes true during Harvey  (Read 1100 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by James Drew 1/19/2018

Twenty-five years ago, Fort Bend County's assistant engineer emerged from a meeting with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. He had new information, and he was worried.

Charles Glen Crocker, then 38, had learned that the footprint for Barker Reservoir was bigger than the land owned by the government, placing future homeowners in the Cinco Ranch and Kelliwood subdivisions within what engineers called "flood pools." The reservoir, dry much of the time, could fill during a major rainstorm and spread into the homes of unsuspecting residents.

His resulting letter, written on July 6, 1992, was a warning to county officials: "...recent rainfall events and weather conditions have shown that many areas considered relatively safe from rising waters have been flooded."

More: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/A-Fort-Bend-engineer-s-warning-25-years-old-12511632.php

Offline Suppressed

Re: A Fort Bend engineer's warning, 25 years old, comes true during Harvey
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 04:09:00 am »
I feel your pain, Mr. Crocker.  It's like people want Houston to flood, Denver to run out of water, etc.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 04:20:57 am »
Fake news. The engineer was 38 and not 25 as the title says.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 06:45:38 am »
Fake news. The engineer was 38 and not 25 as the title says.
  22222frying pan
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn