Author Topic: REPORT: New England Faces More Blackouts As Power Plants Close, Pipelines scuttled  (Read 864 times)

rangerrebew

REPORT: New England Faces More Blackouts As Power Plants Close, Pipelines scuttled
January 20, 2018

By Paul Homewood

New England is facing an energy future of “rolling blackouts and controlled outages” by 2025 as more power plants close down and pipeline capacity continues to lag behind.

The new report by the New England’s grid operator comes after the region suffered through a frigid start to the new year that pushed up prices and strained energy supplies. It could be just a taste of the region’s future.

“Taken together, the study results suggest that New England could be headed for significant levels of emergency actions, particularly during major fuel or resource outages,” ISO New England found in a new study,

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2018/01/20/report-new-england-faces-more-blackouts-as-power-plants-close-pipelines-scuttled/

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Looks like Edwin Edwards is getting his wish after all.

And the really KOOL part is that they are doing it to themselves!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 04:30:37 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Banning nuclear, natural gas, coal and wood leaves them only renewables and fuel oil.

I believe in free enterprise, so let them do that, pay us Texans for the fuel oil, but no government subsidies for the renewables schemes.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Lots of new englanders rallied against a pipeline , including many on my Facebook feed. I tried explaining that the gas will now come by road or rail which hurts the environment much worse, to no avail. And now we’ll have shortages when extreme temperatures happen.

Offline Joe Wooten

Banning nuclear, natural gas, coal and wood leaves them only renewables and fuel oil.

I believe in free enterprise, so let them do that, pay us Texans for the fuel oil, but no government subsidies for the renewables schemes.

:thumbsup:

Offline Victoria33

@rangerrebew

In the early 1990s, I owned stock in the company (can't remember the name right now)that owned the pipelines going up to the east coast that carried heating oil and natural gas and gasoline to those states.  That company was based in Houston and the pipelines started at the oil refining areas in Texas City where the products were refined from oil.

If New England dumped those pipelines, as the title suggests, then they are in trouble for power fueled by natural gas, plus a way to stay warm using heating oil and gasoline for cars.  Windmills can produce power but they cannot do it as efficiently as natural gas for power plants.

If Texas shut down what they send in those pipelines to the east, the east couldn't survive very long and if New England has shut some of them down, too bad for them.

Offline Joe Wooten

@rangerrebew

In the early 1990s, I owned stock in the company (can't remember the name right now)that owned the pipelines going up to the east coast that carried heating oil and natural gas and gasoline to those states.  That company was based in Houston and the pipelines started at the oil refining areas in Texas City where the products were refined from oil.

If New England dumped those pipelines, as the title suggests, then they are in trouble for power fueled by natural gas, plus a way to stay warm using heating oil and gasoline for cars.  Windmills can produce power but they cannot do it as efficiently as natural gas for power plants.

If Texas shut down what they send in those pipelines to the east, the east couldn't survive very long and if New England has shut some of them down, too bad for them.

Let 'em freeze in the dark bemoaning their idle windmills and solar panels........

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Let 'em freeze in the dark bemoaning their idle windmills and solar panels........

@Joe Wooten

888high58888  Good to see that someone understood my comment.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
There's been a big re-construction of the Algonquin pipeline through town here (Western CT). An existing 26" pipeline is being enlarged to 42".

And about 1/2 mile from me they just built some kind of newfangled "fuel cell" supplemental power generating station. No noise, next-to-no emissions, and it can power about 3,700 homes.

Offline RetBobbyMI

And now that Schumer has shut the govt, they'll get no Federal help.  Ha Ha
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Joe Wooten

@Joe Wooten

888high58888  888high58888

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

@Joe Wooten

I kinda prefer Eddie Chiles, one of my early heroes.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I kinda prefer Eddie Chiles, one of my early heroes.

@IsailedawayfromFR

Yeah! Eddie was a straight talker as well.

- J. R. R. Tolkien