Author Topic: Here’s what happens now that the federal government shut down  (Read 648 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
News
Here’s what happens now that the federal government shut down

By Post Staff Report

January 19, 2018 | 3:00pm

The federal government won’t be entirely shut now that Congress hasn’t passed a new spending bill by the midnight Friday deadline.

Here’s a rundown:

Post office
The US Postal Service is an independent agency of the federal government. Post offices will not be affected. Mail will continue to be delivered.

Social Security
Checks will still be in the mail. But new applications will not be processed until the shutdown ends.

National parks
Unlike the last shutdown, some plan to remain open. Those with safety or staffing issues will close.

Museums and monuments
You will have to cancel that visit to the Statue of Liberty, Lincoln Memorial and other well-known sites. The Smithsonian and the National Zoo plan to stay open for the weekend, but shut starting Monday.

Travel
Airports will stay open. During the last shutdown, more than 14,000 air traffic controllers were ordered to keep working without pay. In a worst-case scenario, delays might be encountered depending on which employees are deemed “non-essential.”

Passports
If you need one, hurry up. Passport services will end within a short time depending on when funding runs out.

Immigration services
Most employees of the Department of Homeland Security are considered essential and will remain on the job. Immigration services are mostly self-funded, so those offices will continue operating.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/19/heres-what-happens-if-the-federal-government-shuts-down/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Here’s what happens now that the federal government shut down
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 06:42:20 pm »
It means my little brother, a government worker, is going to tease me again, because he gets to stay home while I have to go to work.  He rubs it in every time it shuts down.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 06:42:56 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 09:43:06 pm »
The last shut down and budget cuts set a pogrom in motion at my job.  I worked at the US Federal Court at that time.  When the Clerk of Court showed up at your desk it was not a good sign.  Many people were told to clean out their desks and not to come back the next day.  That happened to several of my friends.  They placed me with a horrific boss who made my life miserable so I could retire early.  My whole pension suffered because of it.  To make matters worse I lost my home to Superstorm Sandy and was saddled with an large SBA loan to offset what our homeowners and flood insurance did not cover.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 10:08:01 pm »
The last time I was in a mass layoff the way they did it was unique and sort of cruel.

One Friday they sent out a very plain normal email to the entire company that said there would be a company meeting in the auditorium at 2:00pm. This was routine.

However the catch was, they did not send it to the entire company although it looked that way. The email was only sent to the people they were going to fire. The way it worked was, as the auditorium was filling HR was monitoring who showed up. Once they had everyone they wanted, they shut and locked the main doors.

They opened an emergency exit and said, you guys are all fired. Thank you for your years of service. As you walked out to the parking lot, security would ask your name. They handed you a box with all the stuff that was in your desk taped and labeled.

And that was it. Buh bye,..
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 04:36:22 am »
The last time I was in a mass layoff the way they did it was unique and sort of cruel.

One Friday they sent out a very plain normal email to the entire company that said there would be a company meeting in the auditorium at 2:00pm. This was routine.

However the catch was, they did not send it to the entire company although it looked that way. The email was only sent to the people they were going to fire. The way it worked was, as the auditorium was filling HR was monitoring who showed up. Once they had everyone they wanted, they shut and locked the main doors.

They opened an emergency exit and said, you guys are all fired. Thank you for your years of service. As you walked out to the parking lot, security would ask your name. They handed you a box with all the stuff that was in your desk taped and labeled.

And that was it. Buh bye,..

Both stories are beyond horrible and I am so sorry they happened.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 04:56:51 am »
Both stories are beyond horrible and I am so sorry they happened.
@Emjay

Well it is kind of funny in a way, just on weirdness alone. The company had 40,000 employees. This was during the .com bust in 2003. They had a quota to layoff 3000 employees every quarter. So, it's understandable. They needed a way to get rid of large numbers of employees at a time. You cannot do one-on-one with 3000 people.

Beside that, every time I have been 'let go' I always found a much better job. It was uncanny. But I am highly skilled in many areas. I'm an engineer with an MBA. So, if they don't need me anymore, it doesn't bother me. I just moved on to somewhere else. I never stayed unemployed for long, unless I wanted to.

I'm sure that a layoff hits some people hard. But I never really minded. In fact it was exciting in a way, to see what else is out there and which is the new place/job I would be doing now. I'm laid back that way.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 05:42:22 pm »
@Emjay

Well it is kind of funny in a way, just on weirdness alone. The company had 40,000 employees. This was during the .com bust in 2003. They had a quota to layoff 3000 employees every quarter. So, it's understandable. They needed a way to get rid of large numbers of employees at a time. You cannot do one-on-one with 3000 people.

Beside that, every time I have been 'let go' I always found a much better job. It was uncanny. But I am highly skilled in many areas. I'm an engineer with an MBA. So, if they don't need me anymore, it doesn't bother me. I just moved on to somewhere else. I never stayed unemployed for long, unless I wanted to.

I'm sure that a layoff hits some people hard. But I never really minded. In fact it was exciting in a way, to see what else is out there and which is the new place/job I would be doing now. I'm laid back that way.

Thanks so much for the 'rest of the story.'  You have a wonderful attitude and a wealth of talents.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 06:50:08 pm »
Speaking of what happens when the government shuts down ... one thing is that the Statue of Liberty will be closed.

Governor Cuomo ... perhaps horrified that tourism would be affected ... has promised to keep the Statue of Liberty open using state funds.

Did anybody know that New York had funds??? Who knew?

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 11:29:20 pm »
To make a long story short ... nothing catastrophic will happen. The country still functions and life goes on. The rest are minor inconveniences we can bear with.