Author Topic: McConnell takes hard line after failed shutdown vote  (Read 902 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell takes hard line after failed shutdown vote
« on: January 20, 2018, 01:57:52 pm »
By Jordain Carney - 01/20/18 12:33 AM EST

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) ripped Democrats for forcing a "completely avoidable" shutdown seconds after the gavel fell on a 50-49 vote failing to advance legislation to avoid a shutdown.

McConnell spoke after the Senate missed a deadline for passing legislation to prevent a shutdown and about two hours after the vote began.

"What we have just witnessed on the floor was a cynical decision by Senate Democrats to shove aside millions of Americans for the sake of irresponsible, political games," he said from the Senate floor.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/369884-mcconnell-take-hard-line-after-failed-shutdown-vote
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Re: McConnell takes hard line after failed shutdown vote
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 02:30:28 pm »
By Jordain Carney - 01/20/18 12:33 AM EST

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) ripped Democrats for forcing a "completely avoidable" shutdown seconds after the gavel fell on a 50-49 vote failing to advance legislation to avoid a shutdown.

McConnell spoke after the Senate missed a deadline for passing legislation to prevent a shutdown and about two hours after the vote began.

"What we have just witnessed on the floor was a cynical decision by Senate Democrats to shove aside millions of Americans for the sake of irresponsible, political games," he said from the Senate floor.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/369884-mcconnell-take-hard-line-after-failed-shutdown-vote

It took the Turtle THIS LONG to call the Rats on what they've been doing 24/7 since they lost the election.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 04:11:17 pm »
It took the Turtle THIS LONG to call the Rats on what they've been doing 24/7 since they lost the election.

Right now, knock wood, I'm pleased with the consistency of messaging coming from Republicans individually and as a whole.

I do hope this holds together.

This could be team building 102.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 04:48:20 pm »
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 04:52:02 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 04:54:50 pm »
According to the roll count vote McConnell voted NO!!

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/20/politics/senate-vote-government-shutdown/index.html

He did that so he could call it up again.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 04:56:47 pm »
He did that so he could call it up again.

..hmm...ok... I'm not understanding ... I'll sit back and wait to see what happens.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 04:58:50 pm »
..hmm...ok... I'm not understanding ... I'll sit back and wait to see what happens.

It is a procedural thing and I'm not about to type out an explanation here.  Just know that McConnell did the right thing for once!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 06:12:17 pm »
His fellow KY Senator, Tackle Me Elmo, voted against it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 06:14:12 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 06:25:15 pm »
It is a procedural thing and I'm not about to type out an explanation here.  Just know that McConnell did the right thing for once!

I notice that Flake, who is not doing it as a procedural motion, also voted against it.  Of the Republicans who voted against it, he's the only one who didn't do so claiming it's fiscally irresponsible.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 06:33:44 pm »

Ok...I'll take your word for it.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 06:46:01 pm »
It's a general rule in the Senate:  If you want to make a motion to reconsider a vote on a procedural motion, which this was, then you are asking to reconsider *your* vote.  That means if you are trying to change a "No" tally (of the whole body) to a "Yes" tally, you had to have voted "No" to begin with.  If you had voted "Yes," then you would have no standing to make the motion to reconsider.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 06:46:57 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 09:00:02 pm »
The Turtle finally grew a shell? Color me skeptical.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 09:21:09 pm »
Ok...I'll take your word for it.
He is correct.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline edpc

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 09:30:48 pm »
The Turtle finally grew a shell? Color me skeptical.

Sort of, but if he and Ryan were really serious, Congress would be working on a budget instead of hopping from one CR to another.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 09:45:39 pm »
Still confounds me why on a funding bill, they need to have 60 votes just to close debate.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline edpc

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 10:20:31 pm »
Still confounds me why on a funding bill, they need to have 60 votes just to close debate.

There was a time when it was 67 to do it.   The idea goes back to a conversation (which may or may not have happened) between Washington and Jefferson.  The idea being the Senate would act as a ‘saucer,’ cooling whatever the house had poured into it, legislatively speaking.

It is a rule created by the Senate and is not Constitutional. They can change it, if they really want to.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 10:21:29 pm by edpc »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 10:39:33 pm »
The Turtle finally grew a shell?

A half shell.  But he ain't no Hero.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 11:34:42 pm »

There was a time when it was 67 to do it.   The idea goes back to a conversation (which may or may not have happened) between Washington and Jefferson.  The idea being the Senate would act as a ‘saucer,’ cooling whatever the house had poured into it, legislatively speaking.

It is a rule created by the Senate and is not Constitutional. They can change it, if they really want to.

Obviously, the cooling effect dissipated with the 17th Amendment.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 11:36:18 pm »

Well back then they generally acted more statesmanlike not political goons.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 12:15:13 am »
It's a general rule in the Senate:  If you want to make a motion to reconsider a vote on a procedural motion, which this was, then you are asking to reconsider *your* vote.  That means if you are trying to change a "No" tally (of the whole body) to a "Yes" tally, you had to have voted "No" to begin with.  If you had voted "Yes," then you would have no standing to make the motion to reconsider.

I get it.  Convoluted but I get it.  Thanx for the explanation.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 12:16:00 am »
A half shell.  But he ain't no Hero.

Nope.  He'll have to do a LOT more ... a heck of a lot more.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 03:39:24 am »
Title:
"McConnell takes hard line after failed shutdown vote..."

Want to take a REALLY hard line, Mitch?
Then... vote to end the filibuster, and then you'll have the votes to pass the continuing resolution...