Author Topic: Bill Gates promised to pay off this country's $76 million debt — now he's doing it  (Read 713 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Bill Gates promised to pay off this country's $76 million debt — now he's doing it
CNBC Sarah Berger 1 day ago

Billionaire philanthropists Bill and Melinda Gates will pay off $76 million of Nigeria's debt.

It's part of a promise the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation made to the African country in an effort to end polio. The payments, which will be made over the course of 20 years, are due to begin this year.

Nigeria had no new cases of polio last year

In 2014, Nigeria borrowed the money from Japan to fund its fight against the preventable disease, Quartz reports. The Gates Foundation had agreed to repay the loan if Nigeria met certain conditions, namely "achieving more than 80% vaccination coverage in at least one round each year in very high risk areas across 80% of the country's local government areas," according to an email from the foundation to Quartz.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/bill-gates-promised-to-pay-off-this-countrys-dollar76-million-debt-%E2%80%94-now-hes-doing-it/ar-AAuRIkk?OCID=ansmsnnews11

I'd think Nigeria would have more debt than $76 million. Let's not forget, sadly, mainly Muslim fundamentalist terrorist types have killed nurses giving out these vaccines.

Offline goodwithagun

If Poverty Inc is still on Netflix it’s well worth a watch. The documentary shows how gestures like this don’t work, and often make the root of the problem even worse.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:20:10 pm by goodwithagun »
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
With Nigeria's oil they shouldn't have a problem paying this.  Their Muslim problem and poor leadership keep them poor.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Of all the computer-savvy folks who might fall victim to a Nigerian scam... Mr. Gates takes the cake!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Foolish since Nigeria is very rich in natural resources including oil and minerals.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline goatprairie

Of all the computer-savvy folks who might fall victim to a Nigerian scam... Mr. Gates takes the cake!
What Nigerian scam?  Listen...to show you there's no such thing as a Nigerian scam, if you give me your bank account number, I'll give you some very valuable Nigerian diamonds from my expensive and extensive collection of valuable Nigerian  jewels. I am related to Nigerian royalty and they have to.. uh...get their jewels out of the country for some strange reason. Yeah, that's right. And you can have a lot of  rubies and emeralds too....no lie.  Hey, I'm not kidding.  :whistle: