Author Topic: US Government Shuts Down; Dems, GOP Blame Each Other  (Read 2401 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
US Government Shuts Down; Dems, GOP Blame Each Other
« on: January 20, 2018, 05:22:56 am »
WASHINGTON (AP) — The federal government shut down at the stroke of midnight Friday, halting all but the most essential operations and marring the one-year anniversary of President Donald Trump's inauguration in a striking display of Washington dysfunction.

Last-minute negotiations crumbled as Senate Democrats blocked a four-week stopgap extension in a late-night vote, causing the fourth government shutdown in a quarter century. The slide toward closure lacked for high drama: The Senate vote was all but predetermined, and since the shutdown began at the start of a weekend, many of the immediate effects will be muted for most Americans.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/divided-congress-appears-racing-towards-shutdown-060853645--finance.html

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline RoosGirl

Re: US Government Shuts Down; Dems, GOP Blame Each Other
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 05:45:03 am »
 @@@girlfight

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 05:51:03 am »
Good.

Keep it shut down.

The peoples whom made government their god need to learn that they can get by in life swimmingly without the Federal Beast.

It is only good for indebting our children and grandchildren to the sums of tens if not hundreds of trillions of dollars and making corruption an entrenched immovable institution upon anything it touches.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 06:58:48 am »
The GOP controls all three branches of government yet they cannot manage even the simplest task for which they were elected....e.g.running the government.

They, and apparently their supporters, are stuck on the blame game.... it is always someone else's fault, they are perpetual victims of the mean old Dims, the media, and the conspiracy theory of the month....

And Strump, a leader...fake news.. :shrug:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 09:44:09 am »
I really don't care what they do at this point.  I understand that my "entitlement" -- Social Security -- will be unaffected, but even if it is, I have planned for life without SS, so it really doesn't matter if I get my monthly "allowance" or not.  What does bug me, though, is that even though we the people are employing this bunch of screw-ups, they are still going to get paid, so they can thumb their noses at us.  I'd like to see any of this sorry bunch making a mess of things in the private sector and still expect a paycheck.  A private employer would bounce them out on their ears.  These guys have no incentive to do a good job, or even just do their job, for that matter. 

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 10:08:26 am »

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

Offline ConservativeGranny

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 02:48:12 pm »
I really don't care what they do at this point.  I understand that my "entitlement" -- Social Security -- will be unaffected, but even if it is, I have planned for life without SS, so it really doesn't matter if I get my monthly "allowance" or not.  What does bug me, though, is that even though we the people are employing this bunch of screw-ups, they are still going to get paid, so they can thumb their noses at us.  I'd like to see any of this sorry bunch making a mess of things in the private sector and still expect a paycheck.  A private employer would bounce them out on their ears.  These guys have no incentive to do a good job, or even just do their job, for that matter.

@Applewood Good point. If the government is shut down they shouldn't be getting a paycheck. That might motivate them a bit. On the other hand we get a bit of respite from them for at least a little while. The constant shutdown threats are getting old already.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 02:53:57 pm »
The GOP controls all three branches of government yet they cannot manage even the simplest task for which they were elected....e.g.running the government.

They, and apparently their supporters, are stuck on the blame game.... it is always someone else's fault, they are perpetual victims of the mean old Dims, the media, and the conspiracy theory of the month....

You need 60 votes in the Senate to pass legislation, the GOP only has 51 votes. So the GOP
could not pass a spending bill without the help of 10+ Democrats. And unless the GOP caves
on amnesty for illegals not many Dems are going to vote to pass a spending bill.

In short the Dems care more about illegals then they do about US citizens.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 02:56:03 pm »
#Schumershutdown
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 03:07:18 pm »

Trump's Third Law - For every statement, there is an equal and opposite statement.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 04:02:24 pm »
Good.

Keep it shut down.

The peoples whom made government their god need to learn that they can get by in life swimmingly without the Federal Beast.

It is only good for indebting our children and grandchildren to the sums of tens if not hundreds of trillions of dollars and making corruption an entrenched immovable institution upon anything it touches.

If this insane fiscal irresponsibilty is not quashed, permanently, we are going to run out of Fed Reserve Monetary Policy Adjusting Funny Money.

And wake up to another run on the banks and wholesale dumping of dollars in the stampede to beat the coming Currency Devaluation.

Good Morning Mr and Mrs America. All those IOUs in the bank and 401ks and stocks you worked 40 years to buy, are as of today, worth HALF of what they were when you bought them.

Got you again, Suckers.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 04:14:35 pm »
AFN for only the second time in 75 years is off the air...sad.

An update to something I said yesterday...I was only half right about soldiers still getting paid.

Our end of month paychecks will reflect being paid up to midnight last night and nothing from today forward.

The banks with a large military customer base are promising to deposit the full pay amount. And not penalize soldiers if loan payments are late or they are unable to make them at all. 

So after 1 Feb if they don't fix this a lot of us are gonna have to start digging into savings. 

On a good note retirees will still get their paychecks because the money for that isn't dependent on the passage of a budget or a CR.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 04:18:21 pm »
AFN for only the second time in 75 years is off the air...sad.

An update to something I said yesterday...I was only half right about soldiers still getting paid.

Our end of month paychecks will reflect being paid up to midnight last night and nothing from today forward.

The banks with a large military customer base are promising to deposit the full pay amount. And not penalize soldiers if loan payments are late or they are unable to make them at all. 

So after 1 Feb if they don't fix this a lot of us are gonna have to start digging into savings. 

On a good note retirees will still get their paychecks because the money for that isn't dependent on the passage of a budget or a CR.

If that happens, I suggest you call your elected representatives and demand they fork over some of their paychecks to keep you afloat.  Why should you suffer while they continue to draw their salaries and benefits?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 04:20:10 pm by Applewood »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 04:56:10 pm »
You need 60 votes in the Senate to pass legislation, the GOP only has 51 votes. So the GOP
could not pass a spending bill without the help of 10+ Democrats. And unless the GOP caves
on amnesty for illegals not many Dems are going to vote to pass a spending bill.

In short the Dems care more about illegals then they do about US citizens.

And of course McConnell is more concerned about 'playing fair' with Democrats instead of using the Nuclear Option as Reid did to get a CR or budget through.

51 votes with the Nuclear Option opens it all back up - but McConnell won't act because he's afraid.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline edpc

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 05:08:18 pm »
And of course McConnell is more concerned about 'playing fair' with Democrats instead of using the Nuclear Option as Reid did to get a CR or budget through.

51 votes with the Nuclear Option opens it all back up - but McConnell won't act because he's afraid.

To be fair, both parties have been reticent to go this route, because majority power has shifted so much in the recent years.  The most insidious part is the Dems know anything they ram through with 51 results in their ouster.  Republicans know the true conservative elements will pressure them to pass real reforms.  It’s a mutual protection racket.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 05:28:46 pm »

To be fair, both parties have been reticent to go this route, because majority power has shifted so much in the recent years.

November 21, 2013 - Harry Reid and the Democrats went that route.

The most insidious part is the Dems know anything they ram through with 51 results in their ouster.  Republicans know the true conservative elements will pressure them to pass real reforms.  It’s a mutual protection racket.

No doubt.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 05:45:10 pm »
Its funny how Yahoo couches its headline. They had no problem squarely blaming republicans back when the democrats held the legislature.

Suddenly its a finger pointing matter.

Offline edpc

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 05:48:56 pm »
November 21, 2013 - Harry Reid and the Democrats went that route.

Of course.  Both parties have exercised it on issues, such as the confirmation of Gorsuch, as the most recent example.  In the previous post, however, I was referring to a straight 51 on all measures, all the time, as SOP.  I should have made that more clear.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 06:04:45 pm »
If that happens, I suggest you call your elected representatives and demand they fork over some of their paychecks to keep you afloat.  Why should you suffer while they continue to draw their salaries and benefits?

If that happens, you won't even be able to get a Robo Response from your Selected Repress-Entative due to the Volume of Calls choking the system shut.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 06:41:04 pm »
If that happens, you won't even be able to get a Robo Response from your Selected Repress-Entative due to the Volume of Calls choking the system shut.

Then you get a bunch of military people and veterans, camp out at their offices, the Capitol and/or their homes and don't leave till the swines talk to you. 

Really, there are times I think the only way we will be able to get them to listen is by armed revolt.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 10:59:34 pm by Applewood »

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2018, 10:22:52 pm »
Then you get a bunch of military people and veterans, camp out at their offices, the Capito and/or their homesl and don't leave till the swines talk to you. 

Really, there are times I think the only way we will be able to get them to listen is by armed revolt.

Its probably illegal, (hazardous substances through the mail) and I'd get arrested if I did it but every time I clean the cat box, I find myself thinking I'd Love to mail them my Cat's opinion too.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2018, 11:00:01 pm »
Its probably illegal, (hazardous substances through the mail) and I'd get arrested if I did it but every time I clean the cat box, I find myself thinking I'd Love to mail them my Cat's opinion too.

:silly:

Offline mrclose

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2018, 11:11:03 pm »

You really need to get some kind of a life outside of trying to create 'funny names' for Your President!

Jimmy Carter had 3 different shutdowns and at least during one of them .. all three branches were Democrat owned!

As for the blame game ... It isn't just Your President Trump blaming the Dems:

NYT, AP, Bloomberg, And Legacy Media Blame Dems For Gov’t shutdown

Many of the country’s top media outfits blamed the Democratic Party for allowing the government to shutdown instead of bridging a budget impasse with Republicans in the Senate.

“U.S. Shutdown Starts as Senate Democrats Block GOP Funding Plan” a Bloomberg headline blared early Saturday morning, referring to the Senate’s inability to agree on a variety of budgetary issues. The New York Times and AP chimed in with similar headlines.

Republican and Democratic leaders have not stopped talking through their differences. Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney, for instance, said late Friday night that the conflict has a “really good chance” of being resolved before the weekend concludes.

Both parties took substantial risks during the negotiations. Republicans refused to bend to the Democrat’s demands to negotiate, while the minority party largely unified to use the shutdown deadline to exact protections from the GOP for hundreds of thousands of young illegal immigrants.

Media outlets, meanwhile, painted the issue in harsh tones for the Democrats — one NYT headline declared: “Senate Democrat Block Bill to Keep Government Open Past Midnight, Shutdown Looms,” while the AP simply noted that, “Senate Democrats derail bill to avert shutdown.”

Republicans tried to sweeten the deal, offering Democrats a long-term extension of the Children’s Health Insurance Program, or CHIP, as well as the delay of some unpopular health-care taxes. Republican Party leaders believed the public would blame their colleagues on the other side of the political aisle if the sweetener was rejected.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/01/20/media-blames-dems-for-shutdown/
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 05:15:20 am »
You really need to get some kind of a life outside of trying to create 'funny names' for Your President!

Jimmy Carter had 3 different shutdowns and at least during one of them .. all three branches were Democrat owned!

As for the blame game ... It isn't just Your President Trump blaming the Dems:

NYT, AP, Bloomberg, And Legacy Media Blame Dems For Gov’t shutdown

http://dailycaller.com/2018/01/20/media-blames-dems-for-shutdown/

Hey pal Trump is not my president... :silly:

I'm proud to say I did not vote for the idiot, but I must say he has turned out to be more of a fool than even I thought he was capable of.... :tongue2: