Author Topic: People flocking to low-tax states could swing future elections  (Read 2704 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: People flocking to low-tax states could swing future elections
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 10:11:42 pm »
Yep, a proud Texan from Cowtown!   

Keller or Southlake?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 10:16:12 pm »
It’s not just Austin proper, but each way up and down the I35 corridor and over to 281. Home prices are skyrocketing and the cities and counties are loving it for the additional property tax revenues.  Can’t find a decent house for under $300k anymore unless your a hundred miles from town.

Oh, that's right, and you should know.  There's still places.  And, Austin isn't the center of the universe. 

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 10:16:17 pm »
True, but Austin has always been that way.  I'm not saying that Libs aren't moving to TX, just that I think it's less than Conservatives that are moving to TX.

i was thinking the same, that Austin has been that way for a long time.
"Visualize Whirled Peas", etc...

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 10:18:32 pm »
And, Austin isn't the center of the universe.

Shh, don't tell'em.
Austin thinks it is...

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 10:19:51 pm »
Shh, don't tell'em.
Austin thinks it is...

I know.  I wrote that very quietly...

Offline Au_Jus

• Adorable Deplorable
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 10:20:40 pm »

Keller or Southlake?

Westover Hills. 

Not that it matters...

Offline Au_Jus

• Adorable Deplorable
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 10:24:21 pm »
I know.  I wrote that very quietly...

:beer:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2018, 10:24:33 pm »
Westover Hills. 

Not that it matters...

It doesn't.  Just that most people who say they live in Ft Worth only use that are a locator.  I myself moved from Keller several years ago.  You wrote like a Southlaker (not that that is a bad thing)  so I just wondered. :shrug:
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Au_Jus

• Adorable Deplorable
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 10:27:20 pm »
It doesn't.  Just that most people who say they live in Ft Worth only use that are a locator.  I myself moved from Keller several years ago.  You wrote like a Southlaker (not that that is a bad thing)  so I just wondered. :shrug:

NP GB!   :beer:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2018, 10:28:43 pm »
Tell it.  Saw it in Texas with the great California migration of macmansion builders descended upon texas like locusts.  The brought their california school system indoctrinated rat bastard children with them and they are infesting the place.

I had a CA transplant tell me a few years ago that CA was so much better than TX.
Her main arguement was gun control.
I was polite, and told her that I support the 2nd amendment, ma'am, and for that I was called a redneck, which is a somewhat accurate description of me.
For the most part, The folks from CA that I have met have assimilated to TX okay.
But, not all....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:29:33 pm by GrouchoTex »

BassWrangler

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2018, 02:46:40 am »
So Far after leaving TX they have yet to follow me to Florida.   But then we do have our own special kind of grapefruits over here.

Retired New York liberals.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2018, 04:25:22 am »
Retired New York liberals.

And Jersey. I read somewhere that NJ was number 2 in loosing population. I know if I didn't have family obligations I'd move. :)
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2018, 04:48:30 am »
Same thing that turned Colorado blue.   9999hair out0000

Californication. The entire West knows the term.

Offline DB

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2018, 05:57:43 am »

The truth is California was invaded by people from other places, illegal and otherwise, for at least the last three decades. Pelosi and Boxer are from the east coast for example...

Many of the "California" invaders going to other states now are not from California at all.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2018, 02:31:32 pm »
The truth is California was invaded by people from other places, illegal and otherwise, for at least the last three decades. Pelosi and Boxer are from the east coast for example...

Many of the "California" invaders going to other states now are not from California at all.

Probably not, but for whatever reason, the people we are talking about were attracted to Cali, and went there and formed an identifiable culture. 

Offline DB

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2018, 07:20:54 pm »
Probably not, but for whatever reason, the people we are talking about were attracted to Cali, and went there and formed an identifiable culture.

Locust are attracted to productive fields, destroy them and then move on.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2018, 08:12:57 pm »
A lot of the "immigrants" are bringing their sloppy thinking with them, and voting for Dems in their new states, thus polluting what they came for.  In the first half of the 2010's, more than half the Reps in formerly conservative AZ were Democrats.

@Cyber Liberty

The sad,sad truth is that is the way it has ALWAYS been. I can't think of a single exception. I grew up in a resort area that started rapidly multiplying thanks to yankees moving down to retire,and then their children following them a few years later to open businesses because it was cheaper and easier to do here. In less than a year every one of the SOB's were lobbying local politicians to increase zoning restrictions to raise property values,pass more laws governing the sizes and styles of houses people could live in,etc,etc,etc. One who local community now has a regulation that bans pickup trucks parked outside. If you have one you drive for your business or pleasure,you have to park it inside your garage and keep the door shut so it can't be seen,or face a 50 dollar a day fine.

The local volunteer fire department was taken over by these loons who didn't like the Wednesday night at 8 PM meetings the working people scheduled so they could go after work because it interfeered with their cocktail hours,so they changed them to Wednesdays at 1 PM,with drinks to follow at the golf club. Guess what? There are no longer any volunteers in the local fire departments. They are all paid members now because houses started to burn to the ground because the 60+ year old drunks couldn't handle the job. Guess what happened to the local tax rate.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2018, 08:17:29 pm »
I don't want to know that.

@Sanguine

You would rather be surprised?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2018, 08:20:26 pm »
Locust are attracted to productive fields, destroy them and then move on.

@DB

Apt observation!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2018, 08:56:22 pm »
As a California native I remain amused by the idea liberals move out of California.

It is mathematically impossible for so many as are claimed to have moved out, with so many still remaining.

Yes I have witnessed it change, and continue to change. I think it is demographics, and older conservatives leaving for other horizons. (younger minorities, replacing older whites mainly)
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online roamer_1

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2018, 09:27:40 pm »

No offense meant @DB
I've punched cows and rode the rodeo circuit with cowboys from the Sierras. Good folks - Just what you'd expect. Solid gold.
I am friends with another feller that lost the water battle, and his hacienda in the (central?) valley... He's got a place up here in the sticks... Same thing. Salt of the earth.
I even know more than a few CA granola-head hippie types homesteading off-grid... They're a bit weird, but good folks.  Usually in the vanguard teaching folks things long forgotten wrt pre-refrigeration preservation tech, and as a group, tend to excel in foraging. Great folks. Most of what we know up here about Thermal Mass Heat, and probably Solar power comes from them.
ALL of the above are good Conservative folks.

But the liberalism descending upon the West is an infection spreading primarily from the Left Coast, and there ain't no denying it, whether you want to claim them or not. 'Californication' became a word for a reason. And the word is wide-spread.

Not exactly fair, as Portland and Seattle do their part too - And Washingtonians and Oregonians don't want to claim them either... But there it is.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2018, 09:43:29 pm »
As a California native I remain amused by the idea liberals move out of California.

It is mathematically impossible for so many as are claimed to have moved out, with so many still remaining.

Yes I have witnessed it change, and continue to change. I think it is demographics, and older conservatives leaving for other horizons. (younger minorities, replacing older whites mainly)

Oh, they do. And many of them may think themselves conservative - thus apparent in the difference and disagreement(s) made evident between you and I. They hate what they live in, so they cash in their postage stamp estate in CA suburbia and move where the air is clean and the water is fresh... And with them come gated communities, McMansions, and common core... Liberal colleges, liberal school districts, local activism and friggin round-abouts. Can't leave anything alone... The way that worked fine here forever.

In my lifetime, I've seen it here.

Offline Au_Jus

• Adorable Deplorable
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2018, 10:00:37 pm »

I agree with this and believe that the facts bear it out.  Mainly the fact that the Democratic party has lost considerable ground in the collective state legislatures over the last decade or so.

Source:  http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/306736-dems-hit-new-low-in-state-legislatures

This doesn't jive with the theory that Liberals are flocking to conservative states and changing the overall voting patterns. 

Does that happen in some isolated instances, I'm sure it does.  But not to the point that the article in the OP suggests...  imo. 

I know for me the last thing I would want to do is move to CA or NY or NJ... etc.  It would take extraordinary circumstances before I would do that.  I'm sure Liberals feel the same way about moving to a solid Red state such as TX or AZ...etc.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2018, 10:13:21 pm »
@Sanguine

You would rather be surprised?

LOL, no.  I would plan on being elsewhere.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2018, 10:50:26 pm »
Oh, they do. And many of them may think themselves conservative - thus apparent in the difference and disagreement(s) made evident between you and I. They hate what they live in, so they cash in their postage stamp estate in CA suburbia and move where the air is clean and the water is fresh... And with them come gated communities, McMansions, and common core... Liberal colleges, liberal school districts, local activism and friggin round-abouts. Can't leave anything alone... The way that worked fine here forever.

In my lifetime, I've seen it here.
Keyword "apparent." I bet if we talked face to place, we'd find many more things in common.

The daily news feed here, is intended to start conflict, and it works.

My grandfather was a Montana-Wyoming cowboy. My father started as a carpenter. I lived in the intermountain states as a kid. I have never lived in a big city.

I learned conservatism starting with Eisenhower, from my family. But they were northerers-religous abolitionists. Throw in Mormons, too. (Never been Mormon even a day in my life, but historically they played a major role in westward expansion of this country.)

I have family all over the West. A few in Canada. Nobody in big cities.   

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln