Author Topic: Justice Dept. asks Supreme Court to rule on Trump's right to end DACA  (Read 396 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Justice Dept. asks Supreme Court to rule on Trump's right to end DACA

By JOSH GERSTEIN

01/18/2018 08:51 PM EST

The Trump administration is asking the Supreme Court to uphold President Donald Trump’s right to end the program protecting so-called Dreamers, but has decided not to seek permission for him to proceed with the wind-down on the schedule announced last year.

The Justice Department filed a petition with the justices Thursday evening urging them to resolve the legal dispute over the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA, during the current court term, in which cases are typically decided by June.

The filing argues that an order issued by a San Francisco-based federal judge last week requiring officials to resume accepting renewals from DACA participants was legally flawed.

more
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/18/trump-justice-department-supreme-court-daca-349083
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Justice Dept. asks Supreme Court to rule on Trump's right to end DACA
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 03:32:52 pm »
Bad move.  The Judge's ruling is a gift.   Take it and run with it - DACA for the 700,000 who've already applied, but not one person more.

The Dems want to expand DACA, not just enshrine it into law.   But accepting the Judge's ruling,  Trump can turn the tables on the Dems, and reject all attempts at additional amnesty unless and until he gets all of what he wants on border security and legal immigration.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 05:07:22 pm »
Pushing DACA through is the prequel and sets precedent for granting full blown amnesty to the illegals already here which then in turn would allow their families to come here via chain migrations as well.  We need to get rid of DACA AND chain migration and build the wall.  Otherwise you are looking at transforming this country as Bammy so often mentioned. Transforming the demographics of this country with an influx of millions of additional Hispanic/Latino voters would almost inevitably guarantee that another GOP president never occupies the oval office. Wake up people.  I believe though, that unfortunately, it's too late.  It doesn't appear that DACA is going to disappear.  I understand Trump and the GOP are tentatively playing hardball, but so are the DEMS.  Kicking this issue down the road isn't going to resolve anything.  The people who fall under DACA would have 2 years anyways to renew their working permits ... so this is just a push for granting amnesty.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 05:33:54 pm »
. Transforming the demographics of this country with an influx of millions of additional Hispanic/Latino voters would almost inevitably guarantee that another GOP president never occupies the oval office. Wake up people. 

So what's wrong with the country's demographics changing?   This is the same bigoted argument that was made against the Irish, and the Italians, and now, it appears, Latinos.

All those formerly and/or currently despised groups had one thing in common - they aren't Protestant Christians, but rather Catholics.   I dare say that Catholics are hardly the reason this country's going to hell.   Most have sound ethics and family values, work hard and contribute to the community.   And most can be appealed to with conservative arguments.   

The danger is that they won't listen to Republicans if we've been stigmatized as protectors of white, Anglo-Saxon Protestants and the "privileged" demographic they represent.     The Dems, of course, seek to do just that.  But it is up to us to refute, by our words and deeds, the charges of racial and religious prejudice.   

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 07:30:58 pm »
So what's wrong with the country's demographics changing?   This is the same bigoted argument that was made against the Irish, and the Italians, and now, it appears, Latinos.

All those formerly and/or currently despised groups had one thing in common - they aren't Protestant Christians, but rather Catholics.   I dare say that Catholics are hardly the reason this country's going to hell.   Most have sound ethics and family values, work hard and contribute to the community.   And most can be appealed to with conservative arguments.   

The danger is that they won't listen to Republicans if we've been stigmatized as protectors of white, Anglo-Saxon Protestants and the "privileged" demographic they represent.     The Dems, of course, seek to do just that.  But it is up to us to refute, by our words and deeds, the charges of racial and religious prejudice.   

Right on cue Jazzy jumps in with his tried and true "Bigot" line.   

Stop looking back and living in the past for your feeble arguments and look forward to the shithole looming ahead.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 07:41:08 pm »
I'd rather criticize bigotry than defend it, bub.   

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 07:50:30 pm »
I'd rather criticize bigotry than defend it, bub.

Not true, you would rather "defend" your narrow view of it at every turn.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 07:55:29 pm »
Not true, you would rather "defend" your narrow view of it at every turn.

Whatever.  I was responding to a post demanding we "wake up" to the "transformation of our demographics" by the influx of "Hispanics/Latinos".    How is this not an appeal to prejudice similar to that which has been made with respect to Irish and Italian immigrants in years past?   And why cannot conservative ideas appeal to Hispanics/Latinos?   

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 02:41:20 am »
Whatever.  I was responding to a post demanding we "wake up" to the "transformation of our demographics" by the influx of "Hispanics/Latinos".    How is this not an appeal to prejudice similar to that which has been made with respect to Irish and Italian immigrants in years past?   And why cannot conservative ideas appeal to Hispanics/Latinos?   

...never mind Jazz ... somehow you've missed the boat. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.