Author Topic: Could Modern Humans Survive An Asteroid Impact, Like What Killed the Dinosaurs?  (Read 959 times)

rangerrebew

Could Modern Humans Survive An Asteroid Impact, Like What Killed the Dinosaurs?

January 18, 2018

by Philip Perry

We know that an enormous meteorite hit the Gulf of Mexico some 66 million of years ago, shooting dangerous gases, dust, and debris into the upper atmosphere, blotting out the sun, and killing off most of the plant life on Earth. Large herbivores followed and eventually the carnivores that preyed upon them. Note however that one recent, exhaustive study found that many of the dinosaurs were already in decline, way before the bolide or meteorite’s impact.

Had the asteroid hit just 30 seconds later (or sooner), landing more in the Atlantic or Pacific, rather than just off the coast of Mexico, we may have had more, non-avian dinosaurs running around today. Instead, the bolide smashed into the Earth with a force equivalent to ten billion nuclear bombs.

http://bigthink.com/philip-perry/could-modern-humans-survive-an-asteroid-impact-like-what-killed-the-dinosaurs

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
It depends but most likely some people would survive.   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Joe Wooten

It depends but most likely some people would survive.

Mostly ones who were on the other side of the world from the impact.......

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
The great thing about all this talk of asteroids hitting the earth and doomsday scenarios for the end of times is...it ain't gonna happen in our lifetime.  And if it does happen, the good news is the Planet will be okay.  Now the humans infesting it will be F ucked, but hey, that is just a bonus.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline kevindavis007

It depends on the Asteroid.

However, I think the human race will survive and not be wiped out.

Unlike the Dino's, humans can handle different types of Environment. Granted a huge amount of people would die and some nations would no longer exist, but the human race will live on.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Had the asteroid hit just 30 seconds later (or sooner), landing more in the Atlantic or Pacific, rather than just off the coast of Mexico, we may have had more, non-avian dinosaurs running around today. Instead, the bolide smashed into the Earth with a force equivalent to ten billion nuclear bombs.

I read once that we'd be better off if the object hit on dry land in the middle of a continent than if it landed in an ocean, because a hit at sea would cause super tsunamis all around, while a continental hit would just cause severe damage to the land mass.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline The_Reader_David

For your amusement and bemusement when considering this topic, here is a program from Imperial College, London, that runs the numbers for various types of impact (by composition and size of the asteroid/comet/metorite, velocity and angle of impact and distance from the impact):

https://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/ImpactEarth/ImpactEffects/
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline GrouchoTex

Ahh, the "Dr. Strangelove" scenario.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Once the cell phones, twitter, and facebook went down, most would be toast.

A significant number watching kitty vids on Youtube would not even know what hit them.

Best way to survive an ELE is not be there for it, but watch from somewhere else.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline montanajoe

For your amusement and bemusement when considering this topic, here is a program from Imperial College, London, that runs the numbers for various types of impact (by composition and size of the asteroid/comet/metorite, velocity and angle of impact and distance from the impact):

https://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/ImpactEarth/ImpactEffects/

Thanks, I've been looking for that program for years. My daughter is going do her 6th grade science project on mass extinctions and I've been telling here there is a cool program out there.. 888high58888

Offline Victoria33

By Sam Hughes, LiveScience Contributor
How to destroy earth by using a blunt instrument:

Pulverized by impact with blunt instrument:
You will need: a big heavy rock, something with a bit of a swing to it ... perhaps Mars.
Method: Essentially, anything can be destroyed if you hit it hard enough. ANYTHING. The concept is simple: find a really, really big asteroid or planet, accelerate it up to some dazzling speed, and smash it into Earth, preferably head-on but whatever you can manage. The result: an absolutely spectacular collision, resulting hopefully in Earth (and, most likely, our "cue ball" too) being pulverized out of existence - smashed into any number of large pieces which if the collision is hard enough should have enough energy to overcome their mutual gravity and drift away forever, never to coagulate back into a planet again.

A brief analysis of the size of the object required can be found here. Falling at the minimal impact velocity of 11 kilometers per second and assuming zero energy loss to heat and other energy forms, the cue ball would have to have roughly 60 percent of the mass of the Earth. Mars, the next planet out, "weighs" in at about 11 percent of Earth's mass, while Venus, the next planet in and also the nearest to Earth, has about 81 percent. Assuming that we would fire our cue ball into Earth at much greater than 6.8 miles/second, or 11 km/s, (I'm thinking more like 31 mi/s, or 50 km/s), either of these would make great possibilities.

Obviously a smaller rock would do the job, you just need to fire it faster. A 10,000,000,000,000-tonne asteroid at 90 percent of light speed would do just as well. See the Guide to moving Earth for useful information on maneuvering big hunks of rock across interplanetary distances.
Pretty plausible.

Earth's final resting place: a variety of roughly moon-sized chunks of rock, scattered haphazardly across the greater solar system.

Earliest feasible completion date: Ah. Yes. At a billion tons of mass driven out of the Earth's gravity well per second: 189,000,000 years.

Sources: This method arose when Joe Baldwin and I knocked our heads together by accident.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Victoria33 
"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust..."
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis