Author Topic: As Government Shutdown Looms, Ending DACA Would Cost Hundreds Of Billions Of Dollars  (Read 438 times)

Offline Suppressed

As Government Shutdown Looms, Ending DACA Would Cost Hundreds Of Billions Of Dollars
BY ALEX KOTCH ON 01/18/18 AT 2:22 PM
http://www.ibtimes.com/political-capital/government-shutdown-looms-ending-daca-would-cost-hundreds-billions-dollars-2642812

Democrats in the U.S. House and Senate appeared ready to withhold their votes on a short-term government spending bill unless Republicans agreed to reinstate the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which extends protected status to roughly 750,000 young adults whose undocumented parents brought them to the United States as children. If Congress doesn’t pass a spending bill by Friday, the government will effectively shut down, leaving only essential services such as law enforcement and air traffic control in operation.

[...]

As members of Congress consider government funding and the fate of the “Dreamers,” something seemingly left out of the discussion is the giant price tag of deporting hundreds of thousands of young adults who have spent the majority of their lives as U.S. residents. Authors of two 2017 studies estimate that the process would cost the country’s economy as much as $460 billion.

[...]

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The article points out that getting rid of the 750,000 Dreamers would lose $275 billion in taxes and economic output.  This is means it is computed that everyone of these people account for $366,000.

Ok, if we apply this same computation for all of the 323 million people in the US, we get total taxes and economic output of $118 trillion

Anybody see problems with the assumptions they have made?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Another problem with this is that there are many more "children" here who are not officially under DACA but who would be also allowed to stay.  Something on the order of 3.6 million.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
If ever there was a "news" story that was a lie ... it's this one!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
If ever there was a "news" story that was a lie ... it's this one!

I was tempted to respond to @IsailedawayfromFR question above before I rembered that I had decided hours ago to just let this one die peacefully.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien