Author Topic: Amazon Chooses 20 Finalists for Second Major Headquarters  (Read 1248 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

Amazon Chooses 20 Finalists for Second Major Headquarters
« on: January 18, 2018, 05:10:21 pm »
SOURCE: NEW YORK TIMES

URL: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/18/technology/amazon-finalists-headquarters.html

By NICK WINGFIELD

SEATTLE — Amazon said on Thursday that it had whittled the list of possible homes for its second headquarters to 20, including centers of technology like Boston and some surprise locations like Columbus, Ohio.

The full list of finalists leans toward locations in the Midwest and South and on the East Coast, and away from the tech-saturated hubs of the West Coast. It includes:

Atlanta

Austin, Tex.

Boston

Chicago

Columbus, Ohio

Dallas

Denver

Indianapolis

Los Angeles

Miami

Montgomery County, Md.

Nashville

Newark

New York

Northern Virginia

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Raleigh, N.C.

Toronto

Washington, D.C.

Many of the finalists, including Dallas, Denver, Raleigh and Washington, were considered shoo-ins from the moment Amazon announced the search, largely because of the attributes that the company said it was seeking for its second home.

(EXCERPT ONLY) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Amazon Chooses 20 Finalists for Second Major Headquarters
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 05:19:15 pm »
Philthy seems like the epicenter of the most population.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 05:32:12 pm »
In other words, the usual suspects that already have most of the big businesses and sky-high real estate anyway.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 05:34:45 pm »
The one thing that amused me most about the first round of bidding were the economically depressed towns like Buffalo that were desperately making bids to Amazon to give them a shot in the arm. It was never going to happen. Amazon doesn't give a crap about outside the big cities, nor does anyone else with money, because they want to keep it.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 05:36:34 pm »
Ole Bezo's should tho a Few High Tax blue states a bone and build it North Of the Mason-Dixon Line.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 05:46:06 pm »
The one thing that amused me most about the first round of bidding were the economically depressed towns like Buffalo that were desperately making bids to Amazon to give them a shot in the arm. It was never going to happen. Amazon doesn't give a crap about outside the big cities, nor does anyone else with money, because they want to keep it.

Why would you move the headquarters of something to a dead city like Buffalo that doesn't have any population centers for a hundred miles around it? It's absurd. The whole point of Amazon is to sell shit to people.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 05:47:43 pm »
Why would you move the headquarters of something to a dead city like Buffalo that doesn't have any population centers for a hundred miles around it? It's absurd. The whole point of Amazon is to sell shit to people.

Not to mention deal with the Union leeches.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 05:50:26 pm »
Not to mention deal with the Union leeches.

Yup. NY is one of the worst states to do business in. That is why everyone is leaving the place in droves.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 06:53:01 pm »
Well, they're an Internet company. Theoretically, they can sell crap anywhere, no matter where they're located. Nothing requires all these companies to be based in Silicon Valley, or New York City, or these other major metro areas.

But expecting an existing multibillion-dollar company to just waltz into town and be an economic savior is foolishness. There's a reason they didn't start in those areas in the first place (multiple reasons in most cases) and trying to bribe them isn't going to change that.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 09:12:16 pm »

This isn't a distro center, it's corporate offices.  That said, I'm sure they want a place with plenty of things to amuse executives, like theatres (the not movie kind) and high-priced hookers.  And good pizza.  Probably NYC or Chitcago burbs.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 09:16:12 pm »

If you want to attract the best people, you have to be in a place where they'll want to work.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 09:18:21 pm »
This isn't a distro center, it's corporate offices.  That said, I'm sure they want a place with plenty of things to amuse executives, like theatres (the not movie kind) and high-priced hookers.  And good pizza.  Probably NYC or Chitcago burbs.

I know what it is. It doesn't mean that they are going to put their east coasts operations where nothing is happening.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 09:23:16 pm »
I know what it is. It doesn't mean that they are going to put their east coasts operations where nothing is happening.

I think we agree it ain't going in Buffalo or Omaha.  Some of these cities don't have a prayer because of that, so I think they're dangling the possibility for a reason other than this acquisition.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 09:51:47 pm »
If they are looking for artsy fartsy stuff, culture, fine food, big league and small league pro sports, plus access to a shit load of Mosques (for their diversity hires), and top notch Hookers, Dallas has everything the could ever need.   It's a regular cornucopia of redneck renaissance.