Author Topic: John Kelly suggests Trump wasn't 'fully informed' when he promised wall across entire border  (Read 1865 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/17/john-kelly-suggests-trump-wasnt-fully-informed-when-promised-wall-across-entire-border.html

White House chief of staff John Kelly suggested during an interview Wednesday with Fox News that then-candidate Donald Trump was not “fully informed” when he promised to build a wall along the entire border with Mexico.

Still, Kelly insisted that the president has been committed to building hundreds of miles of new wall on the border as part of a deal with Democrats on immigration.

“This president, if you've seen what he's done, he has changed the way he's looked at a number of things,” Kelly told Bret Baier on “Special Report.”
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Oceander

Not fully informed??

Yah think!?!?!

Offline Applewood

Well, I was told that the wall was just meant to be a symbol and there was no real expectation that a wall on such a grand scale would actually be built. 

Screw the wall.  Concentrate on enforcement of laws already on the books.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Well, I was told that the wall was just meant to be a symbol and there was no real expectation that a wall on such a grand scale would actually be built. 

Screw the wall.  Concentrate on enforcement of laws already on the books.

But anyone else who didn't "symbolically lie" was called a sellout to illegals, weak on the border etc. Meanwhile Trump does nothing to address the real lure of illegals because that might upset the donor class who hire illegals.

Offline driftdiver

But anyone else who didn't "symbolically lie" was called a sellout to illegals, weak on the border etc. Meanwhile Trump does nothing to address the real lure of illegals because that might upset the donor class who hire illegals.

People should actually read the article

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Hard to disagree.   What lures illegals is a booming economy,  and, yeah, Trump appears fully to blame for that.

Now it's up to all those lazy Americans to get off their asses and take those jobs.   We'll get to see just how many jobs are out there that Americans won't do.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline driftdiver

Hard to disagree.   What lures illegals is a booming economy,  and, yeah, Trump appears fully to blame for that.

Now it's up to all those lazy Americans to get off their asses and take those jobs.   We'll get to see just how many jobs are out there that Americans won't do.   

@Jazzhead
What we need is illegal lawyers who will work cheaper then those lazy American lawyers.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead
What we need is illegal lawyers who will work cheaper then those lazy American lawyers.

I'm all for it. 

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
People should actually read the article.

I did and it’s not particularly encouraging.

“This president, if you've seen what he's done, he has changed the way he's looked at a number of things,” Kelly told Bret Baier on “Special Report.”

“There's been an evolutionary process that this president has gone through... and I pointed out to all the members that were in the room that they all say things during the course of campaigns that may or may not be fully informed,” Kelly said.

“If they are married, the wife would come in,” he said. “If they had minor children, their minor children would come in. But not the parents, not the extended families. That's where he is right now.”

That’s where he is right now.  Have you noticed the movement Kelly mentioned that President has undergone has been to the left?  Remember how Obama ‘evolved’ on gay marriage?  We knew that:

A) It would be a disaster
B) It was the way he’d always felt about the issue

We’re going to find out the hard way this man is not the person he’s claimed to be for the past 2 years.

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump 

We need the Wall for the safety and security of our country. We need the Wall to help stop the massive inflow of drugs from Mexico, now rated the number one most dangerous country in the world. If there is no Wall, there is no Deal!

5:16 AM - 18 Jan 2018

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/953979393180950528?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Offline driftdiver

I did and it’s not particularly encouraging.

“There's been an evolutionary process that this president has gone through... and I pointed out to all the members that were in the room that they all say things during the course of campaigns that may or may not be fully informed,” Kelly said.

“If they are married, the wife would come in,” he said. “If they had minor children, their minor children would come in. But not the parents, not the extended families. That's where he is right now.”

That’s where he is right now.  Have you noticed the movement Kelly mentioned that President has undergone has been to the left?  Remember how Obama ‘evolved’ on gay marriage?  We knew that:

A) It would be a disaster
B) It was the way he’d always felt about the issue

We’re going to find out the hard way this man is not the person he’s claimed to be for the past 2 years.

@edpc
if there is one thing he wasn't fully informed on it would be two things 1) the amount of resistance he'd get from the GOP.   He probably expected them to grudgingly support him. and 2) how difficult it is to get anything done quickly in the Federal Govt.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Offline driftdiver

NAFTA is a bad joke.  Its all about wealth redistribution.

Offline edpc

@edpc If there is one thing he wasn't fully informed on it would be two things 1) the amount of resistance he'd get from the GOP.   He probably expected them to grudgingly support him. and 2) how difficult it is to get anything done quickly in the Federal Govt.

I’m saying this in all seriousness, not to simply be contrarian.  It seems impossible for him to be unaware of the slow government process.  He spent decades playing the game, greasing the wheels, and making donations to various candidates to move things important to him through the system.

He knew from the outset what kind of resistance he was getting.  Remember how he threatened to run as a 3rd party candidate if he wasn’t ‘treated fairly?’  Most also recall the events around the Colorado primary and the criticism he received from Ryan, McConnell, and Priebus along the journey.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
NAFTA is a bad joke.  Its all about wealth redistribution.

NAFTA has been a boon to the economies of North America.   And don't discount the value to the U.S. of a healthy Mexican economy on our border.    A year or so ago,  data showed more Mexicans returning home than coming to the U.S. to work.   

Offline edpc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UZe4vHDGKSA

We’ll bypass the fact he’s holding that kid like the family dog just got skunked and ask what concrete and rebar steel wall is see-through?  No - his idea has never changed at all.    *****rollingeyes*****

Offline driftdiver

I’m saying this in all seriousness, not to simply be contrarian.  It seems impossible for him to be unaware of the slow government process.  He spent decades playing the game, greasing the wheels, and making donations to various candidates to move things important to him through the system.

He knew from the outset what kind of resistance he was getting.  Remember how he threatened to run as a 3rd party candidate if he wasn’t ‘treated fairly?’  Most also recall the events around the Colorado primary and the criticism he received from Ryan, McConnell, and Priebus along the journey.

@edpc
True but he was playing it from the outside where he didn't have to follow the rules  he also had the Clinton machine greasing the skids for him most of the time.   Their corruption machine is vast.

Offline driftdiver

NAFTA has been a boon to the economies of North America.   And don't discount the value to the U.S. of a healthy Mexican economy on our border.    A year or so ago,  data showed more Mexicans returning home than coming to the U.S. to work.

@Jazzhead
Yes, NAFTA has been great for Canada and Mexico because they've sucked jobs and wealth out of America.

The value of a health mexican economy, surely you're joking.   They are supposedly healthy now and they are burning the country down.   Ridiculous

Offline Victoria33

@Applewood
@CatherineofAragon

He didn't mean it to be a symbol.  Before he was President, so he didn't have Air Force One yet, he went to the south Texas border (not the west Texas Laredo border).  His plane landed, and he wouldn't get off the plane, he thought it was too dangerous, someone might hurt him.  He was assured he was safe, so he got off.  He saw places then where no wall could be constructed.  So, he knew he couldn't put a wall completely along the border but he never changed his message - he needed people to think a big, swell, beautiful wall was going up along the whole border.

This was the same time Jim Robinson went to the border himself.  I think I remember they were both there at the same time.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
@Applewood
@CatherineofAragon

He didn't mean it to be a symbol.  Before he was President, so he didn't have Air Force One yet, he went to the south Texas border (not the west Texas Laredo border).  His plane landed, and he wouldn't get off the plane, he thought it was too dangerous, someone might hurt him.  He was assured he was safe, so he got off.  He saw places then where no wall could be constructed.  So, he knew he couldn't put a wall completely along the border but he never changed his message - he needed people to think a big, swell, beautiful wall was going up along the whole border.

This was the same time Jim Robinson went to the border himself.  I think I remember they were both there at the same time.

A pilgrimage to walk where "HE" walked.  :silly:

Same as the liberals who are making the pilgrimage to Zingermans in Ann Arbor to the place where Obama once was.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead
Yes, NAFTA has been great for Canada and Mexico because they've sucked jobs and wealth out of America.

The value of a health mexican economy, surely you're joking.   They are supposedly healthy now and they are burning the country down.   Ridiculous

That's because of the unique crisis they face with drug cartels,  who are killing and bribing and otherwise engaging in mayhem for the chance to make bucks off of insatiable U.S. demand for their product.   

As for American manufacturers, the ability to get parts and do some assembly in Canada and Mexico makes for an efficient arrangement that allows them to keep good jobs here.  Not all jobs, to be sure - but manufacturing has mostly fled to the far east.   A North American system of integrated manufacturing as an alternative to the Asian tigers has preserved far more jobs in the U.S. than if NAFTA didn't exist.   

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Donald Trump suggested his demand for payment for a border wall with Mexico was merely a political ploy, and told Mexico’s president his refusal to pay should not be mentioned in public.

The news opened Trump to charges of hypocrisy and letting down his support base. A border wall paid for by Mexico was Trump’s signature issue in his run for the White House, as crowds at campaign rallies joined call-and-response routines and Trump railed against undocumented Mexican migrants for what he said was their predilection for crime.

But in a phone conversation with Enrique Peña Nieto on 27 January, a week after Trump’s inauguration as president, Trump said: “From an economic issue, it is the least important thing we were talking about.”

He added: “Psychologically, it means something.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/03/donald-trump-mexico-australia-call-transcripts-border-wall

:whistle:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The USA should withdraw from NAFTA and put a 14% tariff on all manufactured goods (including manufactured -parts and subassemblies-) coming from Mexico.

Also, put a 14% surcharge on all remittances to ALL foreign nations.

Should pay for that wall pronto.

Silver Pines

@Applewood
@CatherineofAragon

@Victoria33

I remember reading about that.  I ran across the story in a small local Texas paper online, and I've never been able to find it again.

I still have no idea what Jimrob thought he was accomplishing by sitting at the border in a lawn chair.

Offline NavyCanDo

Pull up any of those 2016 threads on the topic of "The Wall" and you will find the Trump supporters defending heavily the side of the argument that a real honest to goodness wall could be built and that Trump is not wrong saying it at his campaign stops. Those of us supporting another candidate argued that it is not possible to build a wall on the entire border and it would be smarter if he would be honest and define the wall as improving what we have, which is walls and fences, and surveillance where those areas not possible or affordable to put a physical barrier.   Who was right, now?
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn