Author Topic: Trump Administration Bars Haitians From U.S. Visas For Low-Skilled Work  (Read 2876 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Haitians will no longer be eligible for U.S. visas given to low-skilled workers, the Trump administration said on Wednesday, bringing an end to a small-scale effort to employ Haitians in the United States after a catastrophic 2010 earthquake.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced the change less than a week after President Donald Trump reportedly questioned in an Oval Office meeting why the United States would want to take in immigrants from Haiti and African nations, referring to them as "shithole" countries. Trump has denied using that word.

DHS said in a regulatory filing that it was removing Haiti from lists of more than 80 countries whose citizens can be granted H-2A and H-2B visas, given to seasonal workers in agriculture and other industries.

It cited what it said were "high levels of fraud and abuse" by Haitians with the visas, and a "high rate of overstaying the terms" of their visas.

A DHS report published last year stated that Haitians on a variety of non-immigrant visas, including H-2As and H-2Bs, had a roughly 40 percent visa overstay rate in the 2016 fiscal year.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-administration-bars-haitians-u-visas-low-skilled-003323875.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Re: Trump Administration Bars Haitians From U.S. Visas For Low-Skilled Work
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 10:35:36 am »
Good. We have more than enough unskilled workers right here who are Citizens, and would love to take any job they can get, without further screwing them by importing outsiders.

Jobs Americans won't do? Horses**t.

Who the hell wants a career at McDonalds?

Answer: Someone who wants to stand on their own 2 feet and for the moment it's the best they can get.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 01:28:28 pm »
Good. We have more than enough unskilled workers right here who are Citizens, and would love to take any job they can get, without further screwing them by importing outsiders.

Answer: Someone who wants to stand on their own 2 feet and for the moment it's the best they can get.

Amen!

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 01:34:12 pm »

:bigsilly:

Horseshit.  There are plenty of goodfornothing citizens who would turn their nose up at those jobs.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 01:39:35 pm »

Horseshit.  There are plenty of goodfornothing citizens who would turn their nose up at those jobs.

Agreed.  And increasingly,  the long-term solution will be automation.   My local McDonalds just installed computerized ordering.  I went up to the cash register to order my meal,  and was directed to the kiosk.   In my local supermarket last evening,  only two of the ten manned stations were open;  most of the customers were using self-service checkout.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 01:41:40 pm »
In my experience, Haitians work hard and aren't susceptible to radicalization like, say, Somalis are.   How does a 40% overstay rate compare with unskilled laborers from other countries? 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 01:44:35 pm »

C'mon, @Oceander...they're 'Muricins.  Just because they're too lazy for these jobs to date doesn't mean that once these goodfornothin Haitians get out of the way, they won't be just jumping with responsibility!

Now, that being said, I do think that cutting this immigration can be a good component to a broader plan that includes requiring work for benefits and not having benefits more attractive than a job.

But it's kinda shady to me to block immigration by country, rather than by individual.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 01:46:08 pm »
Agreed.  And increasingly,  the long-term solution will be automation.   My local McDonalds just installed computerized ordering.  I went up to the cash register to order my meal,  and was directed to the kiosk.   In my local supermarket last evening,  only two of the ten manned stations were open;  most of the customers were using self-service checkout.   

We will soon be the auto-robot nation ... putting millions out of work ...what a wonderful answer to the illegal immigration and unemployment dilemma!  Bravo!   blij26
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:46:31 pm by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 01:57:14 pm »
Wanna bet this prohibition will end up in court and the Trump administration loses?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 03:29:06 pm »
Wanna bet this prohibition will end up in court and the Trump administration loses?

My bet is you are correct.  Trump has also asked the Supremes to rule on DACA and my bet is that Trump will lose on that one as well.  So .... they way I see it ... the amnesty issue is coming to a head and I think we all need to brace ourselves for the impact.  The liberal left will be in control for a very long time and I'm not so sure at that point whether or not having a conservative SCOTUS will even matter.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 03:31:40 pm »

At the wages they're offering, sure.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 03:33:52 pm »
We will soon be the auto-robot nation ... putting millions out of work ...what a wonderful answer to the illegal immigration and unemployment dilemma!  Bravo!   blij26

"Enjoy your Extra *BIG ASS FRIES*!"

! No longer available

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 03:40:29 pm »
At the wages they're offering, sure.

You're sounding like Bernie Sanders.   What a business offers in wages is based on the value of the service provided and the willingness of labor in the marketplace to work for the wage offered.   Businesses can't pay more,  and domestic workers won't take the job at what the business can afford to pay.   That's what encourages businesses to hire immigrants.

There's nothing evil here, just the realities of the marketplace.  Immigrants get these jobs because businesses want them.     

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 03:44:29 pm »
You're sounding like Bernie Sanders.   What a business offers in wages is based on the value of the service provided and the willingness of labor in the marketplace to work for the wage offered.   Businesses can't pay more,  and domestic workers won't take the job at what the business can afford to pay.   That's what encourages businesses to hire immigrants.

There's nothing evil here, just the realities of the marketplace.  Immigrants get these jobs because businesses want them.   

Allowing an unnatural increase in the labor supply depresses wages, and creates more welfare.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 03:48:50 pm »

Get rid of welfare and unemployment insurance, that will change real quick.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 03:52:42 pm »
But it's kinda shady to me to block immigration by country, rather than by individual.

The only reason Haitians are singled out is because they were singled out for 'temporary' preferential treatment originally. Last week it was 'temporary' Guatamalan refugees.

If it is intended that these refugees stay permanently then congress/the administration should have the guts to say so.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 04:26:48 pm »
Allowing an unnatural increase in the labor supply depresses wages, and creates more welfare.

Immigration does not produce an "unnatural" increase in the labor supply;  almost all nations understand the role it plays in keeping an economy humming, and permit it to one degree or another.  Especially in a country like ours where the birthrate is low and an abnormally high percentage of the domestic low-skilled labor supply is incarcerated or otherwise unable/unwilling to work,  immigration is essential for economic growth.    Banning immigration entirely would be "unnatural".   Besides, immigrants by definition have the drive and ambition to be good workers. 

Immigrants are necessary in our economy because the domestic labor force is, well, pretty doggone piss-poor.   
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 04:28:55 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 04:29:41 pm »
Immigration does not produce an "unnatural" increase in the labor supply;  almost all nations understand the role it plays in keeping an economy humming, and permit it to one degree or another.

Illegal immigration does and I'm fairly sure that was the point.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 04:33:40 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 04:31:09 pm »

Immigrants are necessary in our economy because the domestic labor force is, well, pretty doggone piss-poor.   

Thanks to Welfare.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 04:33:55 pm »
Immigration does not produce an "unnatural" increase in the labor supply;  almost all nations understand the role it plays in keeping an economy humming, and permit it to one degree or another.  Especially in a country like ours where the birthrate is low and an abnormally high percentage of the domestic low-skilled labor supply is incarcerated or otherwise unable/unwilling to work,  immigration is essential for economic growth.    Banning immigration entirely would be "unnatural".   Besides, immigrants by definition have the drive and ambition to be good workers. 

These are the words of someone far removed from the issue.

This line of crap sold in 1988 but outside the US chamber of commerce & WSJ no one believes it today.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 04:36:45 pm »

So you think we should let everyone come in who wants to come here?  Without being vetted?    And of course NOBODY here suggests that we shouldn't allow in any immigrants.    That's the canard the Left always plays out, that to be against illegal immigration is to be against all immigration.  Stop playing that game!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 05:31:24 pm »
So you think we should let everyone come in who wants to come here?  Without being vetted?    And of course NOBODY here suggests that we shouldn't allow in any immigrants.    That's the canard the Left always plays out, that to be against illegal immigration is to be against all immigration.  Stop playing that game!

You're the one spouting canards.   Of course those who we allow to come here should be vetted.   You're playing the game of assuming I'm an "open borders" liberal.   I'm not - but neither am I one of the alt-right nativists who indeed want to end legal immigration.   Several folks on this site just the other day championed a legal immigration freeze of five years.

I agree with the President that immigration policy should focus on skills that the economy needs,  not extended-family unification.   I also think we need to revive the sound idea of a guest worker program, that will allow folks to come here legally,  do what the economy needs done, and then return home without importing their families here.   And of course there needs to be better enforcement regarding those who come here legally and overstay their visas.   That's increasingly the real problem,  not folks coming over the border from Mexico.   

All of this means we need to arrive at a comprehensive solution - and that's not a dirty word.   That's because to get the reforms that are needed,  political compromise will be necessary, and the Dems want the situation with the 11 million long-term illegals addressed by means other than deportation. 

Otherwise, the status quo will remain, for years and years, just as it's been for years and years.   I'd rather solve the problem than bitch and complain and virtue-signal.   Let's cut a deal for a comprehensive solution, just as the President has advocated.     

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 05:37:45 pm »
These are the words of someone far removed from the issue.

This line of crap sold in 1988 but outside the US chamber of commerce & WSJ no one believes it today.

Well, believe it.   The U.S. workforce participation rate is abysmal.  Millions of young men are currently or formerly incarcerated, and essentially unemployable except in unskilled occupations.   Rural areas are beset by opioid addiction, and lazy asses unwilling to go where the jobs are.

Immigrants go where the jobs are.   Many immigrants have the education and skills that too many native-born lack.  Why do you so blithely dismiss the concerns of the C of C and the Wall Street Journal?   Sure, they're pro-business, but aren't you as a conservative?   Employers create jobs for folks willing to work.   And employers want immigrants because they're willing to work.     

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 05:40:08 pm »

The only McD's I went to put Kiosks in.

From that point on they not only wasted the $ on the those ugly monoliths, but they Also needed 1 person, when there's any business at all, to Help frustrated PO'd customers Use the Kiosks.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline musiclady

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.