Author Topic: US funding cuts for UN Palestine refugee agency put vital education, health programmes at risk  (Read 653 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
 Cry me a river UN!

17 January 2018 – The decision by the United States to withhold more than half its annual funding commitment to the United Nations relief agency providing aid for Palestine refugees threatens “one of the most successful and innovative human development endeavours in the Middle-East,” the head of the body said Wednesday, warning that the rights and dignity of an entire community are at stake.

In a statement Wednesday, Pierre Krähenbühl, the Commissioner-General of UNRWA, said that US government announced a contribution of $60 million for the UN agency, down from $350 million total contribution by the country in 2017.

The reduction has endangered the agency’s programmes across the region, he added.

“At stake is the access of 525,000 boys and girls in 700 UNRWA schools, and their future. At stake is the dignity and human security of millions of Palestine refugees [and] access of refugees to primary health care, including pre-natal care and other life-saving services,” added Mr. Krähenbühl in the statement.

He further noted that the reduced contribution “also impacts regional security at a time when the Middle East faces multiple risks and threats, notably that of further radicalization.”

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=58437#.Wl_VQTdMFPY
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline DB

That's because mortars, tunnels and strap on bombs come first... No future in "education" there anyway... It's a death cult...

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The "education programs" we were previously funding are probably used to instruct Palestinian kids that Jews are the enemy and to be driven into the sea.

Too bad.
Cut 'em off!

Offline Joe Wooten

What's even more important is that there will be no money to pay huge salaries to useless UN bureaucrats. That's why they are screaming so loud.

Offline Just_Victor

That's because mortars, tunnels and strap on bombs come first... No future in "education" there anyway... It's a death cult...

Their kids need to be taught how to blow themselves up for Allah.  That's "education," right?
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.