Author Topic: Trump's DC hotel racks up hundreds of 'shithole' reviews on Yelp  (Read 944 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump's DC hotel racks up hundreds of 'shithole' reviews on Yelp
by Mandy Mayfield | Jan 17, 2018, 3:04 PM

The Trump International Hotel in Washington D.C., garnered hundreds of reviews over the weekend that called the property a "shithole" after the president reportedly used the term while talking about immigration from specific nations last week.

The flood of reviews comes days after it was reported that Trump used the term "shithole" to describe Haiti, El Salvador, and African countries while discussing immigration with Republican lawmakers.

"Under no circumstances should you ever stay at this hotel. It is a total shithole. Bigly. Believe me. Not fake news. The biggest shithole ever," one Yelp user wrote on the page.

Yelp added an alert at the top of Trump hotel pages that reads, "This business is being monitored by Yelp's support team for content related to media reports."

"We've placed an active clean up alert on Trump hotel listings," Yelp told the Washington Examiner.

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trumps-dc-hotel-racks-up-hundreds-of-shithole-reviews-on-yelp/article/2646217
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Re: Trump's DC hotel racks up hundreds of 'shithole' reviews on Yelp
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 12:25:45 am »
Mr. M and I will be staying there in March (not on our dime, needless to say), and will share a full, unbiased and accurate assessment of the property exclusively at TBR, after which I'll post it on TripAdvisor.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 12:33:27 am »
Trip Advisor is usually rather good at smoking out phony reviews.  Yelp is not. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 12:34:17 am »
This is a totally unfounded and unfair attack on King Trump.  It is in no way funny or enjoyable to read about and Mandy Mayfield should be ashamed to even be writing about this. 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 12:37:14 am »
Mr. M and I will be staying there in March (not on our dime, needless to say), and will share a full, unbiased and accurate assessment of the property exclusively at TBR, after which I'll post it on TripAdvisor.

I'll look forward to your unbiased review.   Seems from some of the reviews I read, people either love it or hate it.  But you have to beware of phony reviews and take reviews from nitpickers with a grain of salt.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 12:39:33 am »
Luxury Travel Group Gives Trump’s DC Hotel A Brutal Review

Before the Trump International Hotel opened, Donald Trump liked to brag that the business he and his family built inside the Old Post Office would be “one of the great hotels of the world.”

But according to a year-end list of new luxury hotels from a travel group that specializes in high-end accommodations, it’s one of the world’s worst. The Trump hotel rated as the world’s third-lousiest new hotel, according to the membership-only United Kingdom operation LTI-Luxury Travel Intelligence.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2016/12/20/travel-group-dc-trump-hotel-one-worlds-worst-new-luxury-hotels/

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 12:42:11 am »
Trip Advisor is usually rather good at smoking out phony reviews.  Yelp is not.

Yelp is a Fake Review site.  Any Jackwagon with a hard on for a business can leave a review. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 12:43:10 am by Wingnut »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 12:45:15 am »
Hello, Yelpers....

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 12:48:54 am »
I'll look forward to your unbiased review.   Seems from some of the reviews I read, people either love it or hate it.  But you have to beware of phony reviews and take reviews from nitpickers with a grain of salt.
Yelp is a bunch of BS, so I don't care what's written there. I did see some photos of the hotel rooms and thought they were gaudy, but then figured perhaps Ivana was the "designer."  :shrug: Doesn't matter to me, as long as the room is clean and the bed is halfway decent.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 12:51:57 am »
Yelp is a bunch of BS, so I don't care what's written there. I did see some photos of the hotel rooms and thought they were gaudy, but then figured perhaps Ivana was the "designer."  :shrug: Doesn't matter to me, as long as the room is clean and the bed is halfway decent.

It's somewhat different when you're paying for it yourself versus someone else paying for the stay.  But, everyone has a different idea of what "luxury" is.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 12:57:24 am »
It's somewhat different when you're paying for it yourself versus someone else paying for the stay.  But, everyone has a different idea of what "luxury" is.
We go to Boston every year for the marathon, and our only option is high-priced hotels. Thankfully, we've never had a bad experience at a luxury hotel, whether or not we were paying for it. Just hoping that luck doesn't change in March in D.C.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 01:06:09 am »

That’s true.  There was a Detroit couple that used to have a site where they stayed in the worst places they could find on purpose and write reviews.  Some of them were very funny.  Unfortunately, it’s gone.

Strangely enough their site was called murdermotels.  Perhaps it finally happened.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:35:51 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 01:09:00 am »
I don't take much stock in Yelp reviews or any of similar review sites. I recall looking up reviews for the apartment complex I lived in just out of curiosity as I was looking to move and saw some pretty horrible reviews for some I was considering moving to. 

Some of the bad reviews for the complex I was living in were ridiculous and completely untrue such as some that said the apartments were infested by rats and roaches, the dumpsters were never emptied, that cars were always being broken into, that maintenance never came, that muggings and gang warfare and knifings in the parking lot happened all the time and break ins of apartments happened on a daily basis. It wasn't a perfect complex but I never experienced in the 6 years I lived there anything like the bad reviews.

I don't know what motivates people to write these sort of reviews except for being disgruntled over an eviction for not paying rent?

I do sometimes check reviews on Amazon but only by those who are certified purchasers and even then I typically ignore the very worst and the very best reviews and look to the ones in the middle.

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 01:13:55 am »
We go to Boston every year for the marathon, and our only option is high-priced hotels. Thankfully, we've never had a bad experience at a luxury hotel, whether or not we were paying for it. Just hoping that luck doesn't change in March in D.C.

@mountaineer

Let me know I can make some recommendations if you're downtown. 
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online DB

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 01:20:45 am »
I don't take much stock in Yelp reviews or any of similar review sites. I recall looking up reviews for the apartment complex I lived in just out of curiosity as I was looking to move and saw some pretty horrible reviews for some I was considering moving to. 

Some of the bad reviews for the complex I was living in were ridiculous and completely untrue such as some that said the apartments were infested by rats and roaches, the dumpsters were never emptied, that cars were always being broken into, that maintenance never came, that muggings and gang warfare and knifings in the parking lot happened all the time and break ins of apartments happened on a daily basis. It wasn't a perfect complex but I never experienced in the 6 years I lived there anything like the bad reviews.

I don't know what motivates people to write these sort of reviews except for being disgruntled over an eviction for not paying rent?

I do sometimes check reviews on Amazon but only by those who are certified purchasers and even then I typically ignore the very worst and the very best reviews and look to the ones in the middle.

Yelp uses it as extortion on businesses. Pay up or they'll promote garbage reviews to burn your business regardless of the truth of it.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 02:37:43 am »
@mountaineer

Let me know I can make some recommendations if you're downtown.
Thanks,  @driftdiver  We always stay within walking distance of where Mr.M catches the bus to Hopkinton.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 03:18:17 am »
@mountaineer
I hope you enjoy it!    I loved the old building and was worried what the new hotel development might do to it, but it doesn't look too bad, from the photos I've seen.  Be sure to take a Ranger tour of the clock tower!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn