Author Topic: Flu Deaths Growing As Number Of Cases On The Rise  (Read 638 times)

rangerrebew

Flu Deaths Growing As Number Of Cases On The Rise
« on: January 17, 2018, 05:26:45 pm »

Flu Deaths Growing As Number Of Cases On The Rise
By Stephanie Stahl
January 11, 2018 at 5:47 pm
Filed Under:Local TV

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — There’s a growing number of deaths and hospitalizations blamed on the flu, which is now spreading rapidly across the country.

The CDC says the flu is now widespread in 46 states, which includes the tri-state region.

There are four times as many flu cases now as compared with this time last year.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/01/11/flu-deaths-growing-nationwide/

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Flu Deaths Growing As Number Of Cases On The Rise
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 05:37:53 pm »
I've seen people wearing those nurse masks this year, I don't think I ever saw that before.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 05:59:09 pm »
I got the flu shot and I still got the flu. 8888crybaby
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 06:09:28 pm »
What's up, Doc?

From the article: Nationwide influenza is widespread. Of the 100 people who have died from flue so far this season, 13 are children.

From the CDC: CDC estimated that from the 1976-1977 season to the 2006-2007 flu season, flu-associated deaths ranged from a low of about 3,000 to a high of about 49,000 people.

On December 9, 2016, CDC posted estimates of seasonal flu deaths from more recent seasons in the United States. CDC estimates that from 2010-2011 to 2013-2014, influenza-associated deaths in the United States ranged from a low of 12,000 (during 2011-2012) to a high of 56,000 (during 2012-2013).

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/us_flu-related_deaths.htm

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 08:00:25 pm »

I'm sorry @Freya   Are you any better? 

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 08:05:55 pm »
@Applewood I’m fine now but I was pretty miserable for three weeks in December. Missed Christmas because I was feeling yucky
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 08:46:14 pm »
Ugh!  I mentioned in other threads a friend of mine has had it since early December.  Still not back to normal.  This flu is dangerous. 

One of the nice things about being retired and this awful weather we've been having is that I have been staying home and perhaps that has helped me avoid the infection.   But I'm going on vacation next week.  Praying I don't sit next to a sick person on the airplane.   :)

Happy to see you're better now.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 09:20:53 pm »

I work in a hospital and no one has even mentioned getting a flu shot to me. However I wear surgical gloves all the time, never touch my face anymore, and wash my hands about every 10 or 15 minutes when I take the gloves off for a few minutes. In my spare time I carry a spray bottle of an anti bacterial/antiviral and wipe handles, faucets, countertops, handrails, arms on chairs etc.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 09:23:55 pm »
Every time I'm anywhere near someone who's coughing, I take extra Airborne.

It may be a psychological, or may be real, but I haven't gotten the flu in years.  Not even a major cold.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 09:26:24 pm »
Ugh!  I mentioned in other threads a friend of mine has had it since early December.  Still not back to normal.  This flu is dangerous. 

One of the nice things about being retired and this awful weather we've been having is that I have been staying home and perhaps that has helped me avoid the infection.   But I'm going on vacation next week.  Praying I don't sit next to a sick person on the airplane.   :)

Happy to see you're better now.

I just flew to Minnesota for a late Christmas with our family, and sat right in front of a guy with a horrid cough.   I said something to my husband about how unfortunate it was that he was right behind me, but he reminded me that it was all circulated air anyway.

Glad I didn't get anything from him. It was disturbing, especially since I have a very sick son in law and a brand new baby grandson who are both vulnerable to germs.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.