Author Topic: Question of the Day: What Do Gun Control Advocates Mean by “Common Sense”?  (Read 11866 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Oh BTW or my upcoming birthday I get to buy a new

Very nice.  I was looking at the new Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle last night.  I'm gonna have to start playing the lottery to get that one though.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Entering Chicago with their gun laws is dangerous like destruction derby.

And entering unrestricted areas for gun owners is like a road system of well mannered law abiding drivers.

Clue: Bad people ignore gun laws and good people don't need tham.

That's probably one of the best descriptions I've ever read.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
@txradioguy @driftdiver @Restored
Why are y’all bothering to argue with TBRs resident exceedingly confused or lying libtard (because it’s either confused thinking it’s a conservative or lying to us about what it is)? 

Let us go with lying Libtard, because whether it's guns, abortion, homosexuality, taxation, income distribution, race, Islam, Christianity and just about every other issue garnering Conservative thought - Jazzy takes the absolutist position of your typical Leftist/Communist/Liberal and uses their talking points as base-level for his argumentation of the need to impose his political worldview of tyranny.  The abject liar portion is justified because he continues to lie about what and whom he is ideologically - when his every view can be clearly seen to be that of a raving Leftist.

I would have more respect for him if he just came out and admitted he was a Leftist/Communist, but he won't - because deceit is what he engages in, rather than arguing honestly.  And of course it does not matter what kind of reasoning one attempts to make with his positions - you are wasting your time trying to  reason with the unreasonable.

Which leads to your most salient point to make here Axe:

The only thing @Jazzhead understands is this:

Screw you!  If you want to INFRINGE on my God given right to self defense and resistance to tyranny, which is what you espouse in so much flowery language, then come and take themselves you gutless puke. 

Like all Leftists, he is a coward that prefers to empower the government and the courts with the carte blanche power to INFRINGE on every liberty and right he thinks needs to be infringed, regulated and licensed, while imposing our acceptance of tyranny down our throats by force.

So like all Leftists the ONLY thing people like him will understand, is the abilities and willpower that will be employed to resist what he wants to do in manners that frighten him and keep him awake at night.  Which is why Leftists like him argue that we need 'reasonable' gun restrictions - which ultimately means ONLY the government and it's agents are permitted to have guns, while we little people may not.

Please don't deprive me of one of the greatest pleasures I derive from TBR:  Watching @Jazzhead lecture us on what "conservative" means....

Yes!  Isn't it delicious?  I truly marvel at the depths and efforts of deceit he attempts in order to conceal what his own stated positions and lectures clearly reveal he is.

For this reason, he is a national treasure to the board - even when he demonstrates he is an enemy to everything a Conservative stands for.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Very nice.  I was looking at the new Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle last night.  I'm gonna have to start playing the lottery to get that one though.

I'm going black bear hunting this fall in Canada.  This rifle in 45-70 seems appropriate.   I have a 308 and 30-06 but I've wanted the Henry so that's my excuse.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:14:18 pm by driftdiver »
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I'm going black bear hunting this fall in Canada.  This rifle in 45-70 seems appropriate.   I have a 308 and 30-06 but I've wanted the Henry so that's my excuse.

Well where bears are concerned that's as goon an excuse as any I can think of. :)

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
@Restored

That line of reasoning will lead to the permit being a license to own a firearm.

You don't need a license to own a car.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline skeeter

I think you'd get further with that argument if the special tax were applied to the gun itself.    Ammo?  Have you seen a case where the 2nd Amendment was seen as prohibiting the infringement of a right to buy bullets?   

That would be the best case of violating the spirit of the amendment I could think of. And I believe the SCOTUS would agree.

Offline driftdiver

@Restored
I know.  I'm just saying we're pushing for concealed carry permits but we shouldnt need a permit to carry.  We should be able to carry regardless.

If people aren't safe to have a gun then perhaps they shouldnt be on the street.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

You need one to operate one.

And the moment you regulate a Right to require a license - it ceases to be a Right, and becomes a Privilege at the Grant of Government that can and will be rescinded at any time, for any reason of government's choosing.

And the gun-control nut jobs understand that truth to perfection, which is why anyone who says "Constitutional Rights can be reasonably regulated and restricted" are actually saying that Constitutional Rights are not rights at all, but Grants from government.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
All Constitutional rights are subject to reasonable regulation so long as the right itself is not infringed.   For example, time, place and manner restrictions can be imposed on the right of free speech.  And so, too, it is with guns.   If anything, the gun right is more susceptible to regulation than other enumerated rights because of the Second Amendment's predicate clause.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
That's probably one of the best descriptions I've ever read.

The 3rd line is a good summary. My earliest memories, include men passing guns around, together with very stern safety warnings to kids gather in the group.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
All Constitutional rights are subject to reasonable regulation so long as the right itself is not infringed.

Only tyrants, tyranny-advocates and those who advocate that Rights they are afraid of and hate become nothing more than Privilege Grants of government, utter such nonsense.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The 3rd line is a good summary. My earliest memories, include men passing guns around, together with very stern safety warnings to kids gather in the group.

I spent summers at my grandparents farm in Southern Oklahoma when I was a kid...my dad...my uncle and my grandfather were all avid hunters.  Shotguns all over the place...couple rifles...even my grandma had a .410 to shoot snakes.  My grandpa had a couple pistols he carried in his company car when he was out on a drilling rig for long periods of time.

In short there were a LOT of guns in that farmhouse.

There were 8 of us grandkids that ran all through that house to include my cousin with Downs Syndrome...we were given one simple rule...some of these guns are loaded...some aren't...you don't know which ones are which...don't touch any of them.

There was never an incident. And all of the male cousins...except for my cousin with Downs got 20 gauge shotguns for our 8th birthday too.

Education and a stern warning about the danger of weapons...teaching people how to be responsible with the guns they own will do far more good than any piece of legislation handed down from a tyrannical government at any level.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Meanwhile in Louisville...6 people shot at a neighborhood barbershop about 20 minutes ago.  One of the victims is a child.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Only tyrants, tyranny-advocates and those who advocate that Rights they are afraid of and hate become nothing more than Privilege Grants of government, utter such nonsense.

As well as every court that has ever looked at the matter.   No Constitutional right is absolute.  And state and local governments have been regulating the gun right for two centuries now.   

If you think we're a tyranny, move to the shithole country of your choice.   

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
As well as every court that has ever looked at the matter.   No Constitutional right is absolute.  And state and local governments have been regulating the gun right for two centuries now.   

If you think we're a tyranny, move to the shithole country of your choice.

We have guns to prevent Tyrants and Tyranny-Advocates like you from actually attempting to impose what you want.

If Constitutional Rights are not absolute - then they are not 'Rights' at all - they are merely privileges given at the grant of government - which is what people like you want them to be.

As far as your courts go - they also said blacks were only 3/5ths a person.  Disregarding tyranny and resisting it, is what we do here in this country.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:41:20 pm by INVAR »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
We have guns to prevent Tyrants and Tyranny-Advocates like you from actually attempting to impose what you want.

If Constitutional Rights are not absolute - then they are not 'Rights' at all - they are merely privileges given at the grant of government - which is what people like you want them to be.

As far as your courts go - they also said blacks were only 3/5ths a person.  Disregarding tyranny and resisting it, is what we do here in this country.

In short...the second amendment protects all the other amendments.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
In short...the second amendment protects all the other amendments.

But it can be 'reasonably' infringed upon according to Jazzy.  Because you know - your inalienable Rights are not really inalienable, they are subject to "reasonable" regulation, "reasonable" infringement and "reasonable" abolition when Jazzy and his courts and government thinks they should be.

Which means they are not inalienable Rights at all, but rather government-granted privileges that people like Jazzy can decide to regulate, infringe and abolish when they deem it necessary.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Not true - the right cannot be infringed, but it can be regulated.   There's little doubt under the Constitution that guns can be required to be registered and insured, so long as that burden doesn't rise to a level that effectively denies the right.   

What was in doubt for two centuries,  and remains fragile pending the composition of the Supreme Court, is whether the gun right is an individual right, or is part and parcel of the "well regulated militia" addressed in the amendment's predicate clause.   The Heller decision, therefore, is a true landmark,  holding definitively that it is an individual right subject, as with other individual rights to reasonable regulation.   That individual right derives, of course, from the natural right of self-defense of person, home and property.  NOT the natural right to overthrow the government, as some of the whackos contend.     

Offline driftdiver

Not true - the right cannot be infringed, but it can be regulated.   There's little doubt under the Constitution that guns can be required to be registered and insured, so long as that burden doesn't rise to a level that effectively denies the right.   

What was in doubt for two centuries,  and remains fragile pending the composition of the Supreme Court, is whether the gun right is an individual right, or is part and parcel of the "well regulated militia" addressed in the amendment's predicate clause.   The Heller decision, therefore, is a true landmark,  holding definitively that it is an individual right subject, as with other individual rights to reasonable regulation.   That individual right derives, of course, from the natural right of self-defense of person, home and property.  NOT the natural right to overthrow the government, as some of the whackos contend.     

@Jazzhead
How bout this, apply the same level of 'regulated' that you lefties advocate for the 'rights' which aren't enumerated in the Constitution to the the 2nd.  Then we'll all be happy.

Online The_Reader_David

Answer:  the phrase "common sense" used as an adjective to modify the phrase "gun control" is real-world Newspeak.  It means whatever it needs to mean to optimally serve the interests of the left at any given moment, and it's meaning can shift from the time it was spoken or written to the time it is being quoted or commented on if doing so serves the interests of the left.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Not true - the right cannot be infringed, but it can be regulated.   

Same difference.

You call it 'regulated' - I call it 'infringed'.  Advocates of tyranny such as yourself have even used this 'reasonably regulated' argument to suggest that all guns citizens own must be kept at a local police station locked up, because they deem that to be 'reasonable'.

Which is no different than gun registration (reasonable) and gun confiscation (reasonable - according to your fellow advocates of tyranny).

What is 'reasonable' changes with the wind with the likes of people like you and is often decided by your own perverted and twisted ideas of what is deemed 'reasonable'.

We're not going to suffer such bullshit.

There's little doubt under the Constitution that guns can be required to be registered and insured,

Also according to you there's little doubt that abortion and homosexual marriage magically exist somewhere there in the Constitution also.   As always with Leftist tyrants like you - enumerated Rights can be 'reasonably regulated' out of existence and behaviors that are not even hinted at are magically found in the parchment as being untouchable Writs from Above.   Telling us on your own authority that there's little doubt that guns and ammunition can be 'reasonably regulated' is a humongous and exceedingly vast amount of rotting bovine excrement.

so long as that burden doesn't rise to a level that effectively denies the right. 

Who defines that - YOU?????   Regulation upon an Inalienable Right by it's very nature dissolves said Right and consigns it to no more than a government privilege. Nothing you say or argue will negate that fact.  'Reasonable regulation' means the Inalienable Right no longer exists except by license, permission, definition and grant of government that can then decide what abolition and restriction and infringement is 'reasonable'.  Which is EXACTLY what you advocate Mr. Tyranny.

What was in doubt for two centuries,  and remains fragile pending the composition of the Supreme Court, is whether the gun right is an individual right, or is part and parcel of the "well regulated militia" addressed in the amendment's predicate clause.

It was NEVER in doubt until Leftists like yourself decided our inalienable rights are just grants of government.  You could order a semi-automatic rifle from a Sears catalog back in the day.  It was NEVER in doubt or fragile until people like you began telling us that our rights can be 'reasonably regulated'.

The Constitution means jack-shit to you as it is redefined and regulated into whatever it is you tyrants deem 'acceptable'. 

Just be forwarned - what you advocates for tyranny define as acceptable regulation and restriction, people like me regard as overt tyranny deserving armed resistance with extreme prejudice.  Now if you want to go ahead and get this cold war with gun owners go hot - keep pushing the kind of stupid tyrannical pap that you do.  We went to war over much less than what you people have been pushing.

That individual right derives, of course, from the natural right of self-defense of person, home and property.  NOT the natural right to overthrow the government, as some of the whackos contend.     

The Founding Fathers and the States that ratified the Constitution after the Declaration and War of Independence from the legitimate lawful Authority of the Crown of England, disagree with you.

Vehemently in accords with their own writings.

We have inherent and inalienable right to defend our liberty against tyrants, criminals and anyone who seeks to deprive us of that liberty - ESPECIALLY agents of the state attempting to impose the tyranny you advocate under the color of "law".

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I've been skimming this thread today, because I've been terribly taxed at my workplace today.  They upgraded my work machine from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and it's been a bit of a nightmare.  I saw @INVAR's post quoting you saying this, and I had to scroll back to see that you actually said this:

"Little doubt?"  There have been cases going to SCOTUS and declaring you FOS, @Jazzhead, and you say there's "little doubt?"  You, yourself said there's been lots of doubt, so it's incredibly arrogant for you to say there's little doubt.  I am sorry, but Invar has been most charitable in describing you on this thread.

There is a whole lot of doubt, and if you keep this insurance bullshit up I will fight you and your ilk to my dying breath.  Insuring our weapons, and the registration of them that goes with it, is what totalitarians do prior to finding pretext to confiscate them.  It's happened every time it's been tried.  I stand with @INVAR.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I've been skimming this thread today, because I've been terribly taxed at my workplace today.  They upgraded my work machine from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and it's been a bit of a nightmare.  I saw @INVAR's post quoting you saying this, and I had to scroll back to see that you actually said this:

"Little doubt?"  There have been cases going to SCOTUS and declaring you FOS, @Jazzhead, and you say there's "little doubt?"  You, yourself said there's been lots of doubt, so it's incredibly arrogant for you to say there's little doubt.  I am sorry, but Invar has been most charitable in describing you on this thread.

There is a whole lot of doubt, and if you keep this insurance bullshit up I will fight you and your ilk to my dying breath.  Insuring our weapons, and the registration of them that goes with it, is what totalitarians do prior to finding pretext to confiscate them.  It's happened every time it's been tried.  I stand with @INVAR.

:amen:

Offline Axeslinger

@Cyber Liberty @driftdiver @txradioguy @INVAR

I tried to tell y’all.  JH thinks this is just so much fun...the governmental usurpation of our God given rights.  And I spose it is, right up until they force us to choose between pulling the trigger or giving those rights up.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson