Author Topic: Question of the Day: What Do Gun Control Advocates Mean by “Common Sense”?  (Read 11874 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
The places in the US with the highest rates of gun violence, have the most restrictive gun laws.  Is that efficacious? Is that reasonable?

I don't know - it depends on the law.   Some are efficacious and reasonable, others not.   Places with higher rates of gun violence tend to be urban areas - I don't think the kinds of gun laws really affect the statistics.   Other factors have more weight.   New York City has, for example,  less than half the gun violence per capita that Chicago does, yet each are considered to have copious gun regulations.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
There's nothing unfair about a sales tax to retail sales of ammunition, many states have sales taxes.

A specific targeted tax on ammunition (as with tobacco), however, has only one practical purpose - to discourage its purchase. And that is the definition of infringement.

I think you'd get further with that argument if the special tax were applied to the gun itself.    Ammo?  Have you seen a case where the 2nd Amendment was seen as prohibiting the infringement of a right to buy bullets?   

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Cars that are used for their intended purpose must be licensed or insured.   So should a gun.  (If you want to render a firearm inoperable and mount it on a wall, then, yes I agree, you shouldn't need to register or insure it.)   But guns and cars are both (i) useful and (ii) dangerous.   It is not an infringement of the right to own a car or a gun to require it be registered and insured when it is to be used for its intended purpose.

But a truck you use solely on private land does not need to be insured or registered because it won't be operated in public. If you put it on a trailer and tow it on the roads, you don't need to license or insure it IOW you can carry it publicly with paying money. They only time you need to pay for it is when you operate it on the roads.

I'm OK with making people pay money to shoot their gun in the street.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
I don't know - it depends on the law.   Some are efficacious and reasonable, others not.   Places with higher rates of gun violence tend to be urban areas - I don't think the kinds of gun laws really affect the statistics.   Other factors have more weight.   New York City has, for example,  less than half the gun violence per capita that Chicago does, yet each are considered to have copious gun regulations.

@Jazzhead
Seems it would be more reasonable to ban cities if thats where the crime is.

I saw some stats not too long ago, that 99% of murders take place in less than 5% of the counties. 

You still refuse to address the question I posed to you
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

And what I'm talking about is the regulation of open or concealed carry in the public square.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I think you'd get further with that argument if the special tax were applied to the gun itself.

The states that are the most egregious violators of the 2nd amendment have also placed specific sales taxes per gun in addition to the normal sales tax on the purchase.

Ammo?  Have you seen a case where the 2nd Amendment was seen as prohibiting the infringement of a right to buy bullets?   

A gun without ammo is just a crappy club or a poor man's hammer.  The gun is useless without the bullets.

But then you knew that.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
And what I'm talking about is the regulation of open or concealed carry in the public square.

You're talking about infringement and the 2nd Amendment says that's not allowed...not even by the 10th Amendment.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline driftdiver

Cars that are used for their intended purpose must be licensed or insured.   So should a gun.  (If you want to render a firearm inoperable and mount it on a wall, then, yes I agree, you shouldn't need to register or insure it.)   But guns and cars are both (i) useful and (ii) dangerous.   It is not an infringement of the right to own a car or a gun to require it be registered and insured when it is to be used for its intended purpose.

@Jazzhead
Do  you argue that printing presses, pens and pencils should also be  registered.

Maybe we should also register all black people, ya know just to prove they arent a slave any more.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
But what it should mean is something more specific - gun regulation that is efficacious;  that will actually achieve a measurable result in reducing the cost or frequency of gun violence in exchange for the restriction of Second Amendment rights.

Which makes you a domestic enemy of the Constitution and our liberties.

Good job once again outing yourself as a police-Statist who hates our liberties with as much passion as Communists do.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline driftdiver

@Jazzhead
So how is restricting a right to ones home not an infringement?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
But a truck you use solely on private land does not need to be insured or registered because it won't be operated in public. If you put it on a trailer and tow it on the roads, you don't need to license or insure it IOW you can carry it publicly with paying money. They only time you need to pay for it is when you operate it on the roads.

I have no problem with the insurance part...as long as it's voluntary.

I chose to insure my weapons as part of my renters insurance with USAA.

I chose to insure myself and my wife against a gun grabbing DA or a family member of the POS that breaks into my house or tries to rob me and I'm forced to shoot them.

But if I chose to stop paying the extra money for said insurance...that should be my right as well....it shouldn't be something that is required as part of your right to own a gun.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee

To follow your car analogy, you would have to be operating the gun in the public square which means shooting it. You can transport a car without licensing or insuring.

Besides guns are not inherently dangerous. People are almost never killed by guns. They are killed by bullets. A car that never leaves your garage does not need to be licensed or insured because it's not going anywhere. I know because I have one of these. So you would only need license and insure guns that are loaded at all times and being carried in public. That's why I had to get a Conceal Carry permit.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline driftdiver

I chose to insure my weapons as part of my renters insurance with USAA.

I chose to insure myself and my wife against a gun grabbing DA or a family member of the POS that breaks into my house or tries to rob me and I'm forced to shoot them.

But if I chose to stop paying the extra money for said insurance...that should be my right as well....it shouldn't be something that is required as part of your right to own a gun.

Lets add a 10 day waiting period to buy a car.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@Jazzhead
Do  you argue that printing presses, pens and pencils should also be  registered.

Maybe we should also register all black people, ya know just to prove they arent a slave any more.

All Jazzy needs to do is watch a couple episodes of LivePD on any Friday or Saturday night to see just how many people in this country don't have a DL or insurance on their vehicles.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee

So you support the Right to Choose.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline driftdiver

To follow your car analogy, you would have to be operating the gun in the public square which means shooting it. You can transport a car without licensing or insuring.

Besides guns are not inherently dangerous. People are almost never killed by guns. They are killed by bullets. A car that never leaves your garage does not need to be licensed or insured because it's not going anywhere. I know because I have one of these. So you would only need license and insure guns that are loaded at all times and being carried in public. That's why I had to get a Conceal Carry permit.

@Restored

That line of reasoning will lead to the permit being a license to own a firearm.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Lets add a 10 day waiting period to buy a car.

May as well since it's going to be operated...in the public square.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
So you support the Right to Choose.

Where guns are concerned...most definitely.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead

Now you're just being stupid.  Carry on, folks, I'm getting back to work.    *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Axeslinger

@txradioguy @driftdiver @INVAR
Why are y’all bothering to argue with TBRs resident exceedingly confused or lying l*****d (because it’s either confused thinking it’s a conservative or lying to us about what it is)?  The only thing @Jazzhead understands is this:

Screw you!  If you want to INFRINGE on my God given right to self defense and resistance to tyranny, which is what you espouse in so much flowery language, then come and take themselves you ******* ****.  And please save me the trouble of putting your silly ass on ignore: Don’t bother replying with more of your ludicrous BS.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:41:58 pm by Mod2 »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@txradioguy @driftdiver @Restored
Why are y’all bothering to argue with TBRs resident exceedingly confused or lying libtard (because it’s either confused thinking it’s a conservative or lying to us about what it is)?  The only thing @Jazzhead understands is this:

Screw you!  If you want to INFRINGE on my God given right to self defense and resistance to tyranny, which is what you espouse in so much flowery language, then come and take themselves you gutless puke.  And please save me the trouble of putting your silly ass on ignore: Don’t bother replying with more of your ludicrous BS.

Well...when you put it that way...  :laugh:

Offline driftdiver

@txradioguy @driftdiver @INVAR
Why are y’all bothering to argue with TBRs resident exceedingly confused or lying libtard (because it’s either confused thinking it’s a conservative or lying to us about what it is)?  The only thing @Jazzhead understands is this:

Screw you!  If you want to INFRINGE on my God given right to self defense and resistance to tyranny, which is what you espouse in so much flowery language, then come and take themselves you gutless puke.  And please save me the trouble of putting your silly ass on ignore: Don’t bother replying with more of your ludicrous BS.

@Axeslinger
Cause I love pointing out his hypocrisy.   Not to mention nobody has yet mentioned that other name that is so common and Im trying to keep it going.  knock on wood

Offline driftdiver

Well...when you put it that way...  :laugh:

Oh BTW or my upcoming birthday I get to buy a new

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Entering Chicago with their gun laws is dangerous like destruction derby.

And entering unrestricted areas for gun owners is like a road system of well mannered law abiding drivers.

Clue: Bad people ignore gun laws and good people don't need tham.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
And please save me the trouble of putting your silly ass on ignore: Don’t bother replying with more of your ludicrous BS.

Please don't deprive me of one of the greatest pleasures I derive from TBR:  Watching @Jazzhead lecture us on what "conservative" means....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: