Author Topic: Scott Walker warns GOP to ‘wake up’ after Dems flip deep-red Wisconsin district  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Concerned

Concerned wrote:
"I think the Republican Party really needs someone to truly lead it and lead it right now!"

They have someone.
The problem is not that he isn't leading --- it's that they're not following.

And I think leaders have a responsibility to figure out a way to motivate the troops to follow them.   One thing that often helps is to clearly communicate to the troops, the vision, values, and objectives.  Here’s an example of the lack of leadership just from yesterday:

“As negotiations continue, GOP senators say they need to see what Trump would sign before they can proceed.

"I'm looking for something that President Trump supports. And he's not yet indicated what measure he's willing to sign," McConnell told reporters Wednesday. "As soon as we figure out what he is for, then I would be convinced that we were not just spinning our wheels going to this issue on the floor but actually dealing with a bill that has a chance to become law and therefore solve the problem."

I've found that good leaders will often lay out the broad strokes or the lines in the road and then let the troops operate within them and negotiate the details.  Poor leaders fail to communicate what they want or keep moving the goal posts for their troops.  Not surprisingly, this frustrates the troops and often causes them not to want to follow that poor leader.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/17/senate-will-take-up-immigration-daca-bill-that-trump-supports-mitch-mcconnell-says.html
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Oceander

Concerned wrote:
"I think the Republican Party really needs someone to truly lead it and lead it right now!"

They have someone.
The problem is not that he isn't leading --- it's that they're not following.

:bigsilly:

Offline libertybele

:bigsilly:

Ah, but he is leading, and your positive attitude towards our POTUS and this country has been noted once again!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Oceander

Ah, but he is leading, and your positive attitude towards our POTUS and this country has been noted once again!

Leading?  Hardly.  Not in any meaningful sense of the word.  Maybe circulating the toilet, but that’s hardly the sort of leadership that’s needed.

And your fawning idolatrous worship of a very flawed human being is duly noted, once again.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
And I think leaders have a responsibility to figure out a way to motivate the troops to follow them.   One thing that often helps is to clearly communicate to the troops, the vision, values, and objectives.  Here’s an example of the lack of leadership just from yesterday:

“As negotiations continue, GOP senators say they need to see what Trump would sign before they can proceed.

"I'm looking for something that President Trump supports. And he's not yet indicated what measure he's willing to sign," McConnell told reporters Wednesday. "As soon as we figure out what he is for, then I would be convinced that we were not just spinning our wheels going to this issue on the floor but actually dealing with a bill that has a chance to become law and therefore solve the problem."

I've found that good leaders will often lay out the broad strokes or the lines in the road and then let the troops operate within them and negotiate the details.  Poor leaders fail to communicate what they want or keep moving the goal posts for their troops.  Not surprisingly, this frustrates the troops and often causes them not to want to follow that poor leader.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/17/senate-will-take-up-immigration-daca-bill-that-trump-supports-mitch-mcconnell-says.html

The problem is that they want top down rule and can't grasp that its a very different animal than leadership. It runs counter to everything federalist republicanism has ever been about.

They think Trump has some kind of overwhelming mandate and he clearly doesn't. Trump's primary wins were almost always in the 35 to 38 percent range and I don't think he broke 50 percent till after everybody else dropped out. And then in a nation where less than half of eligible voters vote, he barely squeaked out a win over the world's worst democrat candidate. Basically Trump was elected by around 20% of Americans and has decided to piss off the other 80%. (Someone is sure to come along and wrongly declare that people who didn't vote have no right to speak)

Representatives are elected to represent the people of their individual districts. They were not elected to represent the president. The fact is that Trumper challengers have done exceedingly poorly and hasn't done incumbents any favors either. The screaming moron who challenged my GOP congressman ran on "Trump gonna build a wall" "MAGA!!!!!" and "Messicans took R Jahbs". He adopted the leftist tactic of calling my congressman "Wall street Wally" and in the end he lost by a 70/30 margin.

Trump will go down in history as a one term president who with the help of his MAGA "army" handed the country over to the democrats. We had all 3 branches of the federal government as well as GOP supermajorities in more than half the states (races there are scary too). We had the best chance of real American reform in the past century and a bunch of MAGA idiots have decided to squander it.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

He may want to rethink his approach.  Usually someone approaching you with good news and Awake is going to give you the Jehovah’s Witness pitch.

Scott Walker is a deeply religious man.  He talks like an evangelical because he is one.  Like me.  I voted for him three times.  Last year, for the first time in 26 years, I did not vote republican, and for the first time in 28 years I did not vote.  I will vote for Walker again in 2018, unashamedly.

The GOPe has no interest in changing. They have held the majority in both Houses for 2 election cycles and haven't done squat except support the leftist and criticize Trump.
Trump is the GOPe. ****sheep****

There was another special election in WI this week in GOP district that the GOP won. Could it be that this isn't Rat enthusiasm as much as the GOP running another shit candidate in this race?

Since the GOP won a special election in a GOP district, all is well.   888high58888

It’s not easy to generate enthusiasm in the dead of winter when the messenger is a boring, wonky-eyed drip like Walker.  After getting elected twice and shutting down the recall bid, I was anxious to see how the guy would perform on the national stage.  He was extremely underwhelming.

Governor Walker has been elected 3 times since Nov 2010.  Perhaps you forgot about his recall election.  Governor Walker faced a recall election because he crippled the state government unions, and gave all of WI a taxcut.  He's cut state government spending dramatically...

so I overlook his droopy eyes, much like you overlook the complete embarrassment called the President. 

Governor Walker is not nearly as skilled at insulting, scapegoating, and offending as many Americans as the President.   He doesn't know how to stroke a skinhead, birther, or Milo's ego, but I could not be prouder of my Governor.  I hope to vote for Scott again, if I have not been blown up by Nov.
! No longer available

The "consistent GOP voter" who didn't vote for the GOP candidate in the '16 election? I guess you will retort with how severely conservative you are next.

I've always been disgusted with the GOP's scapegoating of hispanics, and I've always despised the isolationist wing of the party, but I once voted for the GOP as the lesser of 2 evils, because they claimed, and sometimes delivered on the issues that mattered to me.

1 taxcuts
2 abortion
3 a strong military

If the GOP can make more gains in those areas, I might vote for candidates who reflect those views, but I will never again vote for a republican who doesn't espouses those ideals, and I will not vote for a republican because it helps the team.  Those days are gone.

Offline DB

Governor Walker has been elected 3 times since Nov 2010.  Perhaps you forgot about his recall election.  Governor Walker faced a recall election because he crippled the state government unions, and gave all of WI a taxcut.  He's cut state government spending dramatically...

so I overlook his droopy eyes, much like you overlook the complete embarrassment called the President. 

Governor Walker is not nearly as skilled at insulting, scapegoating, and offending as many Americans as the President.   He doesn't know how to stroke a skinhead, birther, or Milo's ego, but I could not be prouder of my Governor.  I hope to vote for Scott again, if I have not been blown up by Nov.
! No longer available

I don't believe edpc is a Trump fan at all.

I don't believe edpc is a Trump fan at all.
My apologies.  Is he not a fan of republicans?

Offline DB

My apologies.  Is he not a fan of republicans?

I don't know what he thinks of Republicans in general.

I checked his last 50 posts.  You are correct he isn't a Trump fan. My deep apologies to @edpc.  I did not intend to slur you, as supporting Trump, intentionally or maliciously...I just didn't check the record. I hope this incident doesn't scar you.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I've always been disgusted with the GOP's scapegoating of hispanics, and I've always despised the isolationist wing of the party, but I once voted for the GOP as the lesser of 2 evils, because they claimed, and sometimes delivered on the issues that mattered to me.

1 taxcuts 2 abortion 3 a strong military

If the GOP can make more gains in those areas, I might vote for candidates who reflect those views, but I will never again vote for a republican who doesn't espouses those ideals, and I will not vote for a republican because it helps the team.  Those days are gone.

The ones doing the fighting always suspected your type is politically unreliable and useless. Thanks for confirming it. 

If you ever find yourself in need of a foxhole .... keep walking.

In the meantime---

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
The ones doing the fighting always suspected your type is politically unreliable and useless. Thanks for confirming it. 

In the meantime---

:thumbsup:

You go to war with the army you've got, not the one you wish you had.

Nothing like getting out your fox-hole to lead the charge and getting shot in the back by one of your own, 'cause he doesn't like the odds, your leadership style, or he's waiting on better weather.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

I'm aware of all that.  As I had said in the original quote, he was elected twice and shut down the recall effort.  I had expectations he'd do a lot better in the primary than be did, but he fell completely flat.  It was surprising he had a Rick Perry 2012 or Fred Thompson 2008 like showing after what he'd done for the state.  As for the Trump support, you've figured it out.  There are some negative things about him I don't buy into, like collusion, white supremacy, and insanity.  I just don't trust him, because of the various contradictions in his verifiable words over the decades. 
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Why would we look for a foxhole among a rabid bunch of you Trump fanatics who declared us traitors and enemies of the state that you hate more than you do Democrats?

Since we are enemies, by your own declarations and threats - there 'aint a chance in hell any of us would trust being on the same battlefield with you people.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline bilo

Why would we look for a foxhole among a rabid bunch of you Trump fanatics who declared us traitors and enemies of the state that you hate more than you do Democrats?

Since we are enemies, by your own declarations and threats - there 'aint a chance in hell any of us would trust being on the same battlefield with you people.

I'm with you on the behavior of the Trump supporters.

We do have to admit though that Trump has been pretty faithful to his campaign pledges. He is not all that great at the legislative side of things, but all the Pubs had to do was pass bills and so far they've failed on the 2 big things Obamacare & immigration. Trump has been rescinding the executive orders that Obama signed. Trump has been nominating strict constructionist judges. Trump has confronted issues in foreign policy that all the previous presidents punted on.

My main reason for not voting for Trump was I didn't believe he would do what he said he would do. Also, his brash campaign style and lying about other candidates turned me off. However, despite his negatives I really can't complain about what he's tried to do.

Unfortunately, I think so many swing voters are so concerned with "style points" rather than substance that no matter what they do at this point the Pubs are in big trouble and so is Trump.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
We do have to admit though that Trump has been pretty faithful to his campaign pledges.

If we did not vote for and support Trump 110% from the beginning, then we are forbidden from applauding or commenting in the affirmative, anything we like that Trump does, according to his rabid followers who have declared us enemies.

The only way that demand gets 'lifted' is if we grovel publicly, and affirm and swear that we were stupid not to see Trump's genius and that we swear fealty and loyalty to Trump forever from now on.

Because the only thing Trump's rabid fanatics live for, is to shove their fingers in our face while screaming we are 'losers' and enemies' deserving of gulags and MAGA!, MAGA!, MAGA!

Because you know, acquiescing to that particular kind of persuasive reasoning always changes the minds of those who are governed by principles and not punitive bandwagons.  /sarc.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Night Hides Not

If we did not vote for and support Trump 110% from the beginning, then we are forbidden from applauding or commenting in the affirmative, anything we like that Trump does, according to his rabid followers who have declared us enemies.

The only way that demand gets 'lifted' is if we grovel publicly, and affirm and swear that we were stupid not to see Trump's genius and that we swear fealty and loyalty to Trump forever from now on.

Because the only thing Trump's rabid fanatics live for, is to shove their fingers in our face while screaming we are 'losers' and enemies' deserving of gulags and MAGA!, MAGA!, MAGA!

Because you know, acquiescing to that particular kind of persuasive reasoning always changes the minds of those who are governed by principles and not punitive bandwagons.  /sarc.

I've never thought of bullying and shouting "MAGA" at the top of one's lungs as a particularly effective leadership style.

Best battalion commander I ever had demanded imagination and independence from his officers. Sure, I got chewed out from time to time, but it was forgotten the second I left the old man's office. I didn't mind, I was only a 1st LT at the time. He told us what his expectations were, and it was up to us to figure out how to meet/exceed those expectations.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline bilo

To heck with that, Trump supporters don't determine whether I agree with something or not. If I agree with what Trump does I'll say so and if I disagree I'll say so.

Fanatics are fools. They are blinded by their fanaticism and can't see when they have been taken advantage of. As I said before I think Trump has done pretty well except on the legislative side. I had hoped the career politicians would have been able to handle that side of things, but they've largely failed us and are going to suffer badly in the midterms because of it.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

That is excellent advice.
For everyone.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:43:29 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Fantom

I'm with you on the behavior of the Trump supporters.

We do have to admit though that Trump has been pretty faithful to his campaign pledges. He is not all that great at the legislative side of things, but all the Pubs had to do was pass bills and so far they've failed on the 2 big things Obamacare & immigration. Trump has been rescinding the executive orders that Obama signed. Trump has been nominating strict constructionist judges. Trump has confronted issues in foreign policy that all the previous presidents punted on.

My main reason for not voting for Trump was I didn't believe he would do what he said he would do. Also, his brash campaign style and lying about other candidates turned me off. However, despite his negatives I really can't complain about what he's tried to do.

Unfortunately, I think so many swing voters are so concerned with "style points" rather than substance that no matter what they do at this point the Pubs are in big trouble and so is Trump.

Damn it... quit being reasonable.  :thumbsup:

I agree with almost all... I do not think 2018 is going to be good to the far left.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Damn it... quit being reasonable.  :thumbsup:

I agree with almost all... I do not think 2018 is going to be good to the far left.

Dem Donors are not donating.

Without money they're dead in the water, suffocating in their own desperation.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com