Author Topic: $260 billion ‘cryptocalypse’ as cryptos plunge 30 per cent amid fresh China, South Korea fears  (Read 1613 times)

Online DB

Frank Chung
JANUARY 17, 2018 3:04PM

THE cryptocurrency market has lost $US206 billion overnight in what traders are describing as a “cryptocalypse”, with bitcoin heading back towards its $US10,000 milestone first reached last November.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/money/investing/260-billion-cryptocalypse-as-cryptos-plunge-30-per-cent-amid-fresh-china-south-korea-fears/news-story/3775fe60f78da3c9bd53cedf3ef0f23b
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:01:54 am by DB »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Gold:  Has some actual usage value, but is mostly of value because people/nations are willing to accept that it has value.  When it comes down to it, for whatever reason, the central banks put their faith in gold (aka, a shiny rock).

Silver:  Like gold, but for the little people.

Fiat (e.g. the US dollar):  Has value because government(s) say it does.  Governments have the most guns.

Crypto:  No real value.  Backed by absolutely nothing.  Some people think it will replace other "money", as it is not controlled by bankers and governments -- people will trust it as money because other people trust it as money.  Some people just want to buy some now and sell to the bigger fool.

I'd love to see a system independent of the banksters and politistitutes.  I don't understand why the movers and the shakers have decided that a shiny rock with marginal useful value should represent true wealth.  But at the end of the day/decade, where should I store my wealth?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Suppressed

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-17/did-bitcoin-just-burst-how-it-compares-to-history-s-big-bubbles

It continues to slide...

There has been such a demand for processor cards to "mine" bitcoins, the prices for computer graphics cards have been through the roof. I'll be happy if that demand subsides.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online DB

There has been such a demand for processor cards to "mine" bitcoins, the prices for computer graphics cards have been through the roof. I'll be happy if that demand subsides.

Interesting. So they're using the high speed graphic processors to hack the private key by trying a large number of combinations until they hit it...

Oceander

Interesting. So they're using the high speed graphic processors to hack the private key by trying a large number of combinations until they hit it...

They’re not hacking, they’re processing bitcoin transactions. 

Online DB

They’re not hacking, they’re processing bitcoin transactions.

Generating new key sets?

It shouldn't take mountains of processing power to process a transaction.

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
Generating new key sets?

It shouldn't take mountains of processing power to process a transaction.

The "Proof of Work" concept combined with encryption requires work...here is a good crypto information resource from a BTC programmer:

https://lopp.net/bitcoin.html

Online DB

The "Proof of Work" concept combined with encryption requires work...here is a good crypto information resource from a BTC programmer:

https://lopp.net/bitcoin.html

I'll check it out. Thank you.