Author Topic: Even the eyelashes freeze: Russia sees minus 88.6 degrees F  (Read 1455 times)

Offline goodwithagun

Even the eyelashes freeze: Russia sees minus 88.6 degrees F
« on: January 17, 2018, 03:22:41 am »
AP via Yahoo! January 16, 2018

Even thermometers can't keep up with the plunging temperatures in Russia's remote Yakutia region, which hit minus 67 degrees Celsius (minus 88.6 degrees Fahrenheit) in some areas Tuesday.

In Yakutia — a region of 1 million people about 3,300 miles (5,300 kilometers) east of Moscow — students routinely go to school even in minus 40 degrees. But school was canceled Tuesday throughout the region and police ordered parents to keep their children inside.

In the village of Oymyakon, one of the coldest inhabited places on earth, state-owned Russian television showed the mercury falling to the bottom of a thermometer that was only set up to measure down to minus 50 degrees. In 2013, Oymyakon recorded an all-time low of minus 71 degrees Celsius (minus 98 Fahrenheit).

Continued https://www.yahoo.com/news/big-freeze-russias-yakutia-sees-near-record-cold-131009936.html
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

Re: Even the eyelashes freeze: Russia sees minus 88.6 degrees F
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 03:23:30 am »
Check out all the globull warming around her eyes.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 05:37:08 am »
Oh, show me around your snow-peaked mountains way down south
Take me to your daddy's farm
Let me hear your balalaika's ringing out
Come and keep your comrade warm
I'm back in the U.S.S.R.
Hey you don't know how lucky you are boys
Back in the U.S.S.R.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 05:46:53 am »
Check out all the globull warming around her eyes.

Big deal. A broad at the club had similar lashes to that the other day....

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 02:24:48 am »
Big deal. A broad at the club had similar lashes to that the other day....

That’s what Nancy Pelosi’s will look like if she has another face lift.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 06:52:57 am »
Sorry, but the insulation should be flaking off the earbuds wires if it's that cold.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kidd

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 03:52:00 pm »
At -30F my eyeballs started to hurt from the cold.

At -88F I would have to believe that some sort of goggles have to be worn. I can't even imagine...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 10:45:18 pm »
At -30F my eyeballs started to hurt from the cold.

At -88F I would have to believe that some sort of goggles have to be worn. I can't even imagine...
Coldest static air temp I have been out in was -60, and you expose as little skin as possible. Goggles might be nice, I just took off my glasses and screwed the snorkel parka down to enough to see out one eye and moved slow because the glasses would frost over at a hint of breath moisture, and there was a lot of steam near the shale shaker. The only part of me that actually got any direct air exposure, was trying real hard to crawl back in the coveralls, if you get my drift, and what that put out froze before it hit the ground.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kidd

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 03:08:16 pm »
Coldest static air temp I have been out in was -60, and you expose as little skin as possible. Goggles might be nice, I just took off my glasses and screwed the snorkel parka down to enough to see out one eye and moved slow because the glasses would frost over at a hint of breath moisture, and there was a lot of steam near the shale shaker. The only part of me that actually got any direct air exposure, was trying real hard to crawl back in the coveralls, if you get my drift, and what that put out froze before it hit the ground.
Jeepers. Where were you that you saw -60?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 04:04:53 pm »
Jeepers. Where were you that you saw -60?
Alamo, ND, 1983 and -54 in Riverton, WY in '91 or '92. The cold was one thing in Alamo, the 40 MPH wind really added to it. (-146 wind chill, according to a military chart).

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 07:24:15 pm »
Coldest static air temp I have been out in was -60

One morning in Alpine, AK, we were walking around outside, in and out of production modules, saw the temp continue to drop from -42 down to -48.  Dead still, no wind.  The worse part they quit flying the the planes at -45.  We ended up in a ice road convoy for several hours to get to Kuparuk.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 12:53:35 am »
One morning in Alpine, AK, we were walking around outside, in and out of production modules, saw the temp continue to drop from -42 down to -48.  Dead still, no wind.  The worse part they quit flying the the planes at -45.  We ended up in a ice road convoy for several hours to get to Kuparuk.
It sounds like you know the drill. In Alamo, if it wasn't running, it didn't move, although a couple of vehicles were kept idling through the cold snap. There was a row of smudge pots up the hill under the line bringing diesel to the light plant. If the light plant had gone down, that would have been ugly. For those few days (until it got back up to more reasonable winter temps around these parts, like -35) not much moved. We had to go out every couple of hours and heat the propane tank with a 'big bertha' torch to keep vapor pressure high enough to feed the furnace in the shack. We limited trips outside to 15 minutes or so, and made no contact with any object with bare skin.

Years later, down in Riverton,  (-54F and no wind) I had a green hand pull the 40 lb. propane bottles off the shack and took them to Riverton to get filled. While there was still a little bit of liquid in the tanks, it would not vaporize. When we got to Riverton, I realized he had fully opened the valves on the propane tanks, not closed them, barely a hiss of gas, but there was still liquid in he tanks. Thankfully, it was calm there (no wind), and by then, I had switched to synthetic oil in my vehicles and kept the engine heaters plugged in, so we could make the propane run.  It took a 40lb bottle a day to keep the shack heated, and we kept the 100# bottle as a ready reserve. We swapped out personnel in the middle of that weather, and I drove back to ND and better weather, leaving WY at -54 and arriving home where the weather was a balmy -20, which might not seem like much, but those extra 30+ degrees make a huge difference.

C S Lewis

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 01:24:32 am »
One of the elements of this 'new weather' we are seeing this year, is all the animals which are freezing to death in all this. I am talking about in America and worldwide.

I have heard reports that wild game, fish, and birds, which are normally around now, are all gone, dead. And that is not even talking about all the livestock which are dying. This thing is killing off whole groups of animals of all kinds which normally exist through the winter.

Global warming my ass! This is a freaking ice age event!

I would love to punch Al Gore in his hundred-millionaire fat face. He is a liar, a charlatan, a doomsday prophet fraud.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 01:48:43 am »
One of the elements of this 'new weather' we are seeing this year, is all the animals which are freezing to death in all this. I am talking about in America and worldwide.

I have heard reports that wild game, fish, and birds, which are normally around now, are all gone, dead. And that is not even talking about all the livestock which are dying. This thing is killing off whole groups of animals of all kinds which normally exist through the winter.

Global warming my ass! This is a freaking ice age event!

I would love to punch Al Gore in his hundred-millionaire fat face. He is a liar, a charlatan, a doomsday prophet fraud.
There have historically, always been weather events which killed large numbers of livestock and/or wild animals. It is only in the past few decades we have had the technology (hay harvesting machinery, grain harvests, ability to distribute such to animals in the field) that we have been able to prevent or mitigate such massive die-offs. Oddly enough, oilfield flare pits were a place where animals would congregate near, to keep from having to generate the heat to stay alive, and to cut their caloric losses. The situation is complex, but the fodder for cattle and other livestock, the heated water tanks for livestock are often 'raided' by deer and other critters.

Many of the fish killed off (disappeared) are falling to the expansion of invasive species--many of the game fish where I grew up have been replaced by snakeheads. The death of that fishery and ecosystem started decades ago when the aquatic vegetation in that estuary was wiped out by the introduction of a chemical by the government, because the vegetation was fouling boat props in a couple of places. Within a few years of that, some entire species were wiped out which had been in the ecosystem and of commercial value for centuries.
Silver carp are another such invader, and elsewhere in warmer climates, the exotic snakes which have taken hold are having some effect. It is difficult to get a clear picture of the changes which are occurring, like the demise of the Yellowstone elk herd, because the cause is often the solution to another 'problem' (like "re-"introducing wolves which never lived there) and protections of one animal against the welfare of others lead to ecological imbalances which have deleterious effects.
If those protections or "reintroductions" have been done by people who are adding an element to the ecology that has not existed in the last 100 years, chances are the effects will be "unanticipated" or blamed on anything but the actions of those who did the research justifying the tampering in the first place. In that regard, a shift in climate is the least of nature's problems, and the actions of the humans who claim to be saving nature often end up being the most harmful.
As a rule, not messing around with nature except for managed predation (by humans) seems to be the best policy, it will rebalance on its own if people don't get in there and muck that up. Letting the deer graze at the haystack means more venison in the freezer, so there is balance--more prey for a limited predator.

C S Lewis