Author Topic: Soda Tax Sticker Shock Grips Seattle  (Read 1617 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Soda Tax Sticker Shock Grips Seattle
« on: January 16, 2018, 03:25:31 pm »

Soda Tax Sticker Shock Grips Seattle
By Jeff Reynolds January 15, 2018

The sign at Costco explaining the jacked-up price of a case of Gatorade has gone viral.

KING 5 News
✔
@KING5Seattle

Don't like Seattle's sugary drink tax? Costco invites you to shop outside the city http://kng5.tv/2CASyDq
12:00 AM - Jan 6, 2018

On January 1, Seattle had several new progressive laws go into effect. Along with mandatory paid sick leave, mandates for employers to post work schedules 14 days in advance, and severe restrictions on short-term rental platforms (Airbnb, VRBO, etc.), Seattle imposed a massive new soda tax — 1.75 cents per OUNCE on sugary drinks.

more
https://pjmedia.com/trending/soda-tax-sticker-shock-grips-seattle/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Soda Tax Sticker Shock Grips Seattle
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 03:32:25 pm »
If you live in Seattle you probably applaud this tax.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 06:03:08 pm »
Hope the stores just outside the city limits stocked up with extra; they’ll have a lot of new business now. 

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 06:08:14 pm »
If you live in Seattle you probably applaud this tax.

If you live in seattle you probably are a liberal bedwetting snowflake who drinks starbucks poser juice and Raw Water.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 01:12:53 am »
Pretty soon "the sugar police" will start checking cars inbound at the city limits...

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 02:40:24 am »
I don't think I even agree with a lot of the policies out of the Northwest;

But I do know it's a cycling mecca, so if one likes biking, randoneuring,  you might like that aspect. Especially Seattle:

http://thehudsonvalleyrandonneur.blogspot.com/2017/09/seattle-in-september-my-trip-to-mecca.html

And for people selling and buying bikes, check out Seattle's craiglist some time.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/search/bik  Of course, SF is good in this department as well. Maybe cyclists are the flaky ones.  :silly:

And the cyclofiend website: http://www.cyclofiend.com/index.html

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 03:55:18 am »
Pretty soon "the sugar police" will start checking cars inbound at the city limits...
Sheriff Buford T. Justice is just the man we need.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 06:31:11 pm »
Hope the stores just outside the city limits stocked up with extra; they’ll have a lot of new business now.

There are photos online of signs telling customers the location of other store branches outside the city.

E.g.,
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 06:32:47 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 06:36:32 pm »
Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
Ronald Reagan

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 07:26:29 pm »
Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
Ronald Reagan

Basically. 

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 07:51:12 pm »
If they drive out of the city to purchase their sodas, how many will also purchase their groceries on the same trip?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 08:57:03 pm »
If they drive out of the city to purchase their sodas, how many will also purchase their groceries on the same trip?

Yep. Seattle is a perfect example where virtue signaling public health concerns is pointless. And to use government, the tax code, in such a heavy handed way is abusive of it’s citizens. Who do they think they are at the city council?

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 09:44:10 pm »

FYI everybody, you can have all the CokaCola or Gatorade you could ever drink delivered to your door. Some offer same day service. Walmart, Amazon, Target, etc...

You pay the national price instead of the 'local city counsel price'. So, there are easy ways around the sugar tax.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 10:04:33 pm »

FYI everybody, you can have all the CokaCola or Gatorade you could ever drink delivered to your door. Some offer same day service. Walmart, Amazon, Target, etc...

You pay the national price instead of the 'local city counsel price'. So, there are easy ways around the sugar tax.

Either way, you avoid the abusive Seattle taxes......

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 01:02:06 am »
Suppressed wrote above:
"There are photos online of signs telling customers the location of other store branches outside the city."

Those signs ain't gonna be around long.
Next thing you know, city officials will go to the places displaying them, and threaten that if they're not taken down the store owners will be charged with "promoting tax evasion"...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 01:54:38 am »
That shit will rot your teeth out anyway.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: