Author Topic: The Price Of Green Madness: Why Is California The Poverty Capital Of America?  (Read 644 times)

rangerrebew

The Price Of Green Madness: Why Is California The Poverty Capital Of America?

Date: 15/01/18
    Kerry Jackson, Los Angeles Times

That’s according to the Census Bureau’s Supplemental Poverty Measure, which factors in the cost of housing, food, utilities and clothing, and which includes noncash government assistance as a form of income.

Given robust job growth and the prosperity generated by several industries, it’s worth asking why California has fallen behind, especially when the state’s per-capita GDP increased approximately twice as much as the U.S. average over the five years ending in 2016 (12.5%, compared with 6.27%).

http://www.thegwpf.com/the-price-of-green-madness-why-is-california-the-poverty-capital-of-america/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Mrs. Liberty showed me a video this morning.  It was from a body-cam made by a bicyclist, riding through a tent city in Orange County.  Amazing how many homeless there were in the video, and behind the tents along the street there were $500K-$600K condos.

It's the lack of new construction.  Housing is so expensive most workers can't afford it, so even with a job they end up living in tents.  If they can barely afford a condo, they have somebody else living in tents in their front yard.

The only working class people who can afford a house are people that had purchased them years ago.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 06:25:07 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Mrs. Liberty showed me a video this morning.  It was from a body-cam made by a bicyclist, riding through a tent city in Orange County.  Amazing how many homeless there were in the video, and behind the tents along the street there were $500K-$600K condos.

It's the lack of new construction.  Housing is so expensive most workers can't afford it, so even with a job they end up living in tents.  If they can barely afford a condo, they have somebody else living in tents in their front yard.

The only working class people who can afford a house are people that had purchased them years ago.

Drugs, alcohol and mental illness play major roles. Increasingly the left/civil libertarians have "mainstreamed" such people.

Area cops will inform you it is "not illegal to be homeless." Their hands are tied by fear of losing their livelihood if sued, judges who care far more about homeless drug addicts with histories of misdemeanors, than ordinary citizens.

Finally SoCal has become "substance treatment & recovery" under Obamacare. Several millionaire entrepreneurs have set up businesses, to reap huge rewards, for providing services.

The thing is however, even Obamacare recovery is not unlimited. When it runs out, may prefer to remain in tent city on the Santa Ana River, in 70 F weather year round, a bike ride away from beaches.

The voters approved legal marijuana, misdemeanor citations for thefts up to around $1,000, early release from jail, etc.

Finally many of them are not from California. They are taking advantage of laxness in what is now one-party rule.

Ironically not too far back, voters passed "three strikes you are out" meaning 25 years prison sentences, but later legislatures reversed that type of thing.

Essentially it is a libertarian's paradise. The law enforcement favors personal freedom of these losers, at the cost of law abiding self supporting families.

There are new $700,000 homes, equivalent rentals, being built and sold blocks from them.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

The thing is however, even Obamacare recovery is not unlimited. When it runs out, may prefer to remain in tent city on the Santa Ana River, in 70 F weather year round, a bike ride away from beaches.

Mrs. Liberty is from OC, and she told me that road in the vid was along the Santa Ana River.  These are exactly the very people of which you speak.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Mrs. Liberty is from OC, and she told me that road in the vid was along the Santa Ana River.  These are exactly the very people of which you speak.
I know. I live nearby. The media have covered this situation.

It used to be the case, people went into "treatment" for substance addiction, when they "hit bottom." And the resources were Spartan, unless you were Betty Ford.

Obamacare provides reimbursements which are so high, that everybody gets "Betty Ford" treatment. Corporations own sober living housing, separate day-treatment, vans for transporting them around.

Addicts/alcoholics are "head hunted" nationwide. "How would you like to spend the summer by the beach, get sober, eat nice meals, belong to a gym?" If the answer is yes, they are enrolled for Obamacare, and put on planes tomorrow.

A typical day in "treatment," includes "one-n-one," "group," "testing," health care, visits to the beach, good food, rides to area 12-step meetings in Mercedes Benz vans. They live in "group homes," of six "patients," and one house manager.

Your federal government is funding this. Republicans haven't made a sound about curbing such abuses of the taxpayers money. Why not?

The media are making a big deal over the "opioid crisis," so what politician would even dare "de-fund" such vital public interest activities.

If you have ever had business dealings with government rules, you know there are ways to make a bunch of money, the defense-aerospace industries, and now "health care" serve as examples.

Back in the day, Betty Ford cost $1,000 per day. Today these privately owned entities bill insurance companies in the multiples of this.

Once finished with such programs, the addict/alcoholic may return home to Omaha, or he may stay here. Where would you wish to be? (Projected high in OC is about 75 F. No rain.) Life is good.

Many get drunk or high. Relapse. So the clock starts on another billing/reimbursement clock. More taxpayer money down the wazoo.

The same younger people who have been educated to believe boys and girls can switch if they want, also think addicts/alcoholics are disabled. They pity them, feel sorry for them. They make zero moral assignments.

The addicts/alcoholics are petty thieves. They dredged 1,000 bicycles from the SA River by their encampment. But they merely blocked access to that section of the river path, a county quasi park.

I can go on and on. In St. George and Prescott a 3 br. 2 ba. home in a subdivision costs $250-300 thousand. An identical home in Orange County costs $500-900 thousand. And contrary to uninformed claims, they are building new infill housing blocks from places these "homeless" congregate.

You cannot discriminate against the disabled, under ADA. Treatment companies will pay double the going rent market, for housing. Neighbors are up in arms, but have repeatedly lost in court. Wealthy cities like Newport Beach wasted $ millions, trying to curb "sober-living" facilities,  to no avail.

So by all means, sit back outside California. On one hand say "somebody should do something about the opioid crisis," then watch the "something" in action, NIMBY "not in my backyard."

I have seen thousands of alcoholics and addicts enter 12 step recovery. It is not possible to separate the ones who will "get it," the first time, from those who will drink and use drugs for decades, then die.

Too bad they cannot live in big reservations, distant from our busy suburban lives. Free to forage for food, instead of rob homes, cars etc.

The ones living on the river generally aren't "in treatment," but they have been and decided it wasn't for them. 

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Hey, my SIL and BIL still live there, so we are very sympathetic to your situation.  Costa Mesa.  We just haven't been cruising around the backwaters very much lately when we visit, we live in Phoenix.  I'd say I'm glad about the construction, but it doesn't sound like a "good kind."
I will NOT comply.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

But city officials in Orange County are doing fine.  Check out for example the salary schedule of an Orange County city like Irvine where a police sergeant makes $281,000 in salary and benefits per year.

https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/irvine/?page=2&s=-gross
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington