Author Topic: NFL’s kneeling comes to abrupt halt: Protesters miss playoffs  (Read 1652 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

NFL’s kneeling comes to abrupt halt: Protesters miss playoffs
Washington Times, Jan 15, 2018, Valerie Richardson

NBC plans to televise any players who refuse to stand for “The Star-Spangled Banner” at the Super Bowl, but there may be nothing to show.

It appears that NFL players are no longer taking a knee during the national anthem, namely because none of the teams with still-active protesters has qualified for the postseason.

By the end of the regular season, only five teams featured at least one player regularly sitting or kneeling on the sidelines for the anthem: the Seattle Seahawks, the San Francisco 49ers, the Miami Dolphins, the New York Giants and the Oakland Raiders.

None of those franchises made the playoffs, even though four of the five did so in the previous season, leading to speculation about whether the take-a-knee protests wound up dragging down team performance along with TV ratings.

More: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/15/nfls-kneeling-protesters-miss-playoffs/

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: NFL’s kneeling comes to abrupt halt: Protesters miss playoffs
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 12:11:56 pm »
NFL is boring.   4 seconds of play 30 seconds of mind numbing dialog and 5 mins of commercials.   Add in the leftist agenda and anti American players and it's not worth the time.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 01:05:28 pm »
NFL is boring.   4 seconds of play 30 seconds of mind numbing dialog and 5 mins of commercials.   Add in the leftist agenda and anti American players and it's not worth the time.
Plus, the same teams get favorable treatment every year (or should I say team, not to mention any names *ahem* NEW ENGLAND *ahem*). Lately it's been blatantly rigged in their favor.

I'm just glad that quite a few teams that hadn't been in in a while got into the playoffs this year: Buffalo, Jacksonville, the Rams, etc. If the Patriots get into the Super Bowl, and the way the officiating has been going it's probably going to end up that way, I won't be watching.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:06:27 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 02:11:45 pm »
A SB between two teams from third tier market cities  would be a perfect dish for that butthole Goodhell.

Bring on the Frozen Tundra and the ghost of Bud Grant and a ratings nightmare for the National Felons League. .

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 02:34:39 pm »
A SB between two teams from third tier market cities  would be a perfect dish for that butthole Goodhell.

Bring on the Frozen Tundra and the ghost of Bud Grant and a ratings nightmare for the National Felons League. .

Understand the Vikings now have a domed stadium.   :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 02:43:33 pm »

And it's no coincidence that Minnesota has not been in a Super Bowl since they moved from The Met.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 02:49:27 pm »

FYI.  The Vikes play under an ethylene tetrafluoroethylene, polymer pneumatic roof

You can't dome a whole region.   
Unless you are a TV show or a hollywierd movie.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 02:51:02 pm »
And it's no coincidence that Minnesota has not been in a Super Bowl since they moved from The Met.

Was the the "Hubbie"  before naming rights became all the rage to line owners pockets?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 02:54:18 pm »
FYI.  The Vikes play under an ethylene tetrafluoroethylene, polymer pneumatic roof

You can't dome a whole region.   
Unless you are a TV show or a hollywierd movie.

They had to make it very special to avoid another collapse under the weight of multiple feet of snow.

It's going to be fun to watch the reaction of the fans if it's still sub zero by Super Bowl time!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 02:55:51 pm »

College football is still real football.

I didn't miss the NFL at all this season.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 03:02:15 pm »

Funny. I had you pegged as more of a Cricket supporter.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 03:07:12 pm »
Funny. I had you pegged as more of a Cricket supporter.

Silly game.  (No offense to any Brits reading).

I LOVE football, and I loved when the NFL was actually about football.

(And when the Browns had a team that didn't set records by losing every game in an entire season  **nononono*).

The Buckeyes are always worth watching, and I've been a serious fan since I can remember.

(I can throw a perfect spiral too, Frank.  Wanna toss a football around with me sometime?  ^-^)

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 03:11:10 pm »
(I can throw a perfect spiral too, Frank.  Wanna toss a football around with me sometime?  ^-^)

Sounds kinky, but I'll try anything once.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 05:21:37 pm »
Plus, the same teams get favorable treatment every year (or should I say team, not to mention any names *ahem* NEW ENGLAND *ahem*). Lately it's been blatantly rigged in their favor.
Absolutely true.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 07:03:36 pm »
A good double hit for the unpatriotic teams.

Not only have they dragged down attendance at their games, but have diminished the revenue stream for owners.

This is only good news.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 07:12:53 pm »

Same here!