Author Topic: Legally Speaking: Can Strava get you in trouble with the law?  (Read 677 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Legally Speaking: Can Strava get you in trouble with the law?
« on: January 14, 2018, 06:57:47 pm »
Intersesting info as all my ride group are Strava Users.

----

Roadie: “A cop on my group ride heard me bragging about hitting 56mph on a descent where the speed limit was 40mph. He jokingly said he would go to my Strava account and issue me a ticket. But could he issue a ticket this way? And, can my Strava be used in other ways, say after a crash with a motor vehicle?”

Lawyer: “No, your ‘KOM’ descent will not pass muster for a traffic violation; however, your Strava account contains useful information that may be used as evidence in a variety of different legal settings. This means that Strava could be your best friend or worst enemy depending on your case.”

Now, let’s back up. We all know what Strava (and other ride-sharing apps) do — functionally, these apps turn your smartphone into a launchpad for interaction with other riders. For instance, Strava allows you to track and analyze the speeds of your rides and then share what you accomplished with others online. That said, most Strava users don’t fully understand the legal ramifications of their uploads.

Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2018/01/news/legally-speaking-can-strava-get-you-in-trouble-with-the-law_454510#qRpQGH8MJDGFCsoR.99

Legally Speaking: Can Strava get you in trouble with the law?
Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2018/01/news/legally-speaking-can-strava-get-you-in-trouble-with-the-law_454510#qRpQGH8MJDGFCsoR.99
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline anubias

Re: Legally Speaking: Can Strava get you in trouble with the law?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 08:38:28 pm »
Since the police love ticketing cyclists in my town for rolling stop signs and speed limits, I think I’ll stick with just my wahoo and keep my records local.  That way, I can use it in court for my benefit, but less likely that they will use it against me.

I have yet to be bothered by our local police, but I know many that have and see them stopping cyclists often.  Thanks for the head’s up @Wingnut    888high58888

Offline dfwgator

Re: Legally Speaking: Can Strava get you in trouble with the law?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 08:41:55 pm »
If you have to ask the question, the most likely answer is "Yes".