Author Topic: Could Giant “Solar Rigs” Floating On the Ocean Convert Seawater To Hydrogen Fuel?  (Read 562 times)

rangerrebew

Could Giant “Solar Rigs” Floating On the Ocean Convert Seawater To Hydrogen Fuel?
Scientists at Columbia University have designed a device that could make the process economically viable

January 11, 2018

Usually, when we think about energy production at sea, we imagine giant oil rigs, or perhaps rows of towering wind turbines.  Recently, though, floating solar panels have been added to the mix, including a solar farm the size of 160 football fields that went into operation in China last year.

Now, a team of researchers at Columbia University wants to go a step farther. They say it’s possible to use solar panels on the ocean surface to power devices that can produce hydrogen fuel from seawater.

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/could-giant-solar-rigs-floating-on-ocean-convert-seawater-to-hydrogen-fuel-180967750/#lX7S861pvtiWZmJv.99

Offline Joe Wooten

It still would be much more expensive than natural gas. Electrolysis of water to create hydrogen consumes much more energy than you can get out of burning the hydrogen after cracking.

Hard engineering realities still trump alternate energy pipe dreams.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
I'd suggest they put them up in the north sea.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.