Author Topic: Texas economy depends on undocumented immigrants, economist says  (Read 963 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The state’s economy depends on undocumented immigrants, and poverty in the Hispanic community is a major social issue Texas will need to address going forward.

That’s according to Ray Perryman, an economist with The Perryman Group, who gave his annual speech on the economic outlook of the Tyler area at a luncheon at the CrossWalk Conference Center hosted by the Tyler Area Chamber of Commerce.

“I know it’s a controversial topic,” Perryman said. “The bottom line is we need the workers. We need the workers, and the numbers are staggering how much we need the workers.”

Perryman said 1 in 10 workers in Texas are undocumented immigrants, and 4 in 10 workers in the state’s construction workforce are undocumented immigrants. Given those numbers, he said Texas cannot rebuild the Gulf Coast from Hurricane Harvey without those immigrants.
https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/texas-economy-depends-on-undocumented-immigrants-economist-says/article_330fda52-f719-11e7-8f58-7b5b4d08c942.html
This guy is completely off his rocker.

We do NOT need undocumented workers.

We may need more workers, but definitely do not need those who choose to break our laws to come here to work.

This is how the liberal mindset works, instill something close enough to the truth as to be considered, but definitely not truthful.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Texas economy depends on undocumented immigrants, economist says
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 06:02:50 pm »
That's really what you get with booming economies, principles of free enterprise, market capitalism and it's hard to get around that.

The states with the largest economies are California, and then, Texas, New York, Florida and Illinois, I don't know the exact order but one can make observations from this.

It's not that, in Europe, Merkel just loved to see Muslim refugees come in, it's pretty clear that the UK, Germany, etc. have very strong economies but not a good replacement rate.

In the meantime, some sluggish states such as West Virginia for example, will continue steadily as they are.

The best that can be done might be to control immigration; but I"m not sure how well that will work out in the long run, say over 5 decades.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 06:03:30 pm by TomSea »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 06:21:12 pm »
I don't know about "undocumented immigrants", but I do know that illegal aliens are a serious drain on our economy.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 06:28:12 pm »
And talk about outrage.  Remember Ike's "Operation Wetback".   Can you imagine the snowflakes back then.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 06:50:58 pm »
Ray Perryman is FAR off base when he says "Texas cannot rebuild the Gulf Coast from Hurricane Harvey without those immigrants."  but he otherwise gets the numbers correct.

He is a VERY smart guy and I have NO idea why he would say that unless it was to patronize some of those on his client list.

https://www.perrymangroup.com/about-us/m-ray-perryman/
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien