Author Topic: Time Is Actually Slowing Down and Will Come to a Halt, Says a Radical Theory  (Read 1199 times)

rangerrebew

Time Is Actually Slowing Down and Will Come to a Halt, Says a Radical Theory

January 9, 2018

by Paul Ratner

If you think about it, time can really weird you out. What is it exactly? How do we know it is even real and not a concoction of our brain? We certainly have a use for it, and it pretty much runs our lives on a daily basis. We constantly check the time, we make appointments based on it, we judge the courses of our lives based on the seeming fact that certain events happen to us at one point in time and not another. And we don’t know how to get back to the time that’s already passed us by. But as Einstein showed in the beginning of 20th century, we don’t really understand all that well how time works. It doesn’t seem to work the same way throughout our universe and depends on who is observing it. 

http://bigthink.com/paul-ratner/time-is-actually-slowing-down-and-will-come-to-a-halt-says-a-radical-theory

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Time Is Actually Slowing Down and Will Come to a Halt, Says a Radical Theory"

When that happens, I'll just go down to the basement and pull the cover off this:

Offline Suppressed

My college roommate opined one night after lights out that time is merely another description of change.  If nothing changes, does time actually pass? And since time is individual for everything, does time stop for a particle when that individual particle doesn't change in any way?

If so, how could it be acted upon?

He smoked a lot of pot.  We had great discussions.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

My college roommate opined one night after lights out that time is merely another description of change.  If nothing changes, does time actually pass? And since time is individual for everything, does time stop for a particle when that individual particle doesn't change in any way?

If so, how could it be acted upon?

He smoked a lot of pot.  We had great discussions.

If an individual particle doesn't change in any way, but the universe around it does, then the particle is incapable of perceiving anything about the world around it (otherwise, by observing the changes around it, it would have changed).  Since said particle cannot perceive any external changes, it cannot, from its perspective, be acted upon.  Therefore, if time stops for an individual particle if it doesn't change, then time does not (cannot) exist and hence cannot stop.   Tea = No Tea.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline roamer_1

If time is subject to entropy, every measurement Man has ever made is probably wrong.

Offline DB

If time is subject to entropy, every measurement Man has ever made is probably wrong.

And if time varies, would we even be able to notice...

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
IIRC, part of the old "big crunch" theory was that time would reverse while the universe contracted?
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
IIRC, part of the old "big crunch" theory was that time would reverse while the universe contracted?

Meaning I'd have to go through adolescence again?  I sure hope that's wrong.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti

And that might be one of the least disturbing aspects of everything happening in reverse...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
And that might be one of the least disturbing aspects of everything happening in reverse...

True. 

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Time Is Actually Slowing Down and Will Come to a Halt, Says a Radical Theory

With any luck, before I’m seventy.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Maybe time is really going backwards and our universe is wrong.

(Red Dwarf, season 3)
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline montanajoe

This comment from the article caught my attention..

"Then everything will be frozen, like a snapshot of one instant, for ever,” explained Senovilla.

Hmmmm...how can something last forever if there is no time... :chairbang:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Nothing at all radical about that theory. I have been expecting it to happen to/for me for several decades,and can't begin to guess why it hasn't.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Nothing at all radical about that theory. I have been expecting it to happen to/for me for several decades,and can't begin to guess why it hasn't.

Lucky you!  I have found time speeds up dramatically the older I get.  Like the old saying - time is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes.