Author Topic: Why Did We Start Wearing Pants?  (Read 4845 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Why Did We Start Wearing Pants?
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2018, 08:22:19 pm »
It also makes sense that, as in American pioneer days, if work needed to be done on the farm/ranch and the men were out, the women would just do it.

Well, yes, but no...

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2018, 09:24:19 pm »
I started wearing pants when I could no longer afford bail.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2018, 09:28:58 pm »
I started wearing pants when I could no longer afford bail.

888high58888

Offline musiclady

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2018, 10:08:48 pm »
Well, yes, but no...

Well yes, but yes......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline anubias

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2018, 10:56:11 pm »

Are skirts the next men’s fashion trend?

https://nypost.com/2018/01/12/are-skirts-the-next-mens-fashion-trend/

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:57:00 pm by anubias »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2018, 10:59:22 pm »
Because we don't want to live in a shithole.

Offline anubias

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2018, 11:06:02 pm »
Because we don't want to live in a shithole.

Thus MAGA!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2018, 12:12:15 am »
Well yes, but yes......

No. It is still much the same here...
A woman who lost her man can make do, but the big stuff, like firewood, and keeping it plowed out, general fixing and such is done for her by her neighbors... And she will reciprocate in the ways she can.

Hilljillies are as self-contained, talented, and independent as a woman gets.But I have yet to see one raise a barn, clear a pasture, build fences, and so on. Very few break horses or oxen, or work on mechanical things.

Doesn't happen. What they will do is offer assistance they CAN do, and barter her way trading labor to get it done.

Old men do the same thing.

Feminist dreams die in the foothills.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2018, 12:18:39 am »
A woman who lost her man can make do, but the big stuff, like firewood, and keeping it plowed out, general fixing and such is done for her by her neighbors... And she will reciprocate in the ways she can.

Hilljillies are as self-contained, talented, and independent as a woman gets.But I have yet to see one raise a barn, clear a pasture, build fences, and so on. Very few break horses or oxen, or work on mechanical things.

Doesn't happen. What they will do is offer assistance they CAN do, and barter her way trading labor to get it done.

Not Josie Bassett Morris, who lived alone for 50 years in Utah, built a cabin, grew crops, tended livestock and did just fine.

There are other examples but you won't accept them because you view historical fact as "feminism."

It's not.

It's a reality you prefer to deny.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2018, 12:35:20 am »
Women.
For some reason, they all think men should put pants on.
At least you don't have to wait until August for things to warm up enough to scratch....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2018, 01:14:33 am »
Not Josie Bassett Morris, who lived alone for 50 years in Utah, built a cabin, grew crops, tended livestock and did just fine.

There are other examples but you won't accept them because you view historical fact as "feminism."

It's not.

It's a reality you prefer to deny.

Nah. The evidences you could point to are anecdotes,  and certainly *not* indicative of the norm.
I can point to any number of places right here where the old man died, and the woman makes do in desperate straights. 
Every one of those places are run down,and need fences fixed, and roofs fixed, pastures going back to nature, fallen trees not cleared, and so on and so on. That's the norm. That is the predictable end. And that's women with far more salt in em than any urbanite could ever muster.

That is the reality.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2018, 03:55:50 am »

Ah, you haven't met Mom. 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2018, 03:17:27 pm »
Nah. The evidences you could point to are anecdotes,  and certainly *not* indicative of the norm.
I can point to any number of places right here where the old man died, and the woman makes do in desperate straights. 
Every one of those places are run down,and need fences fixed, and roofs fixed, pastures going back to nature, fallen trees not cleared, and so on and so on. That's the norm. That is the predictable end. And that's women with far more salt in em than any urbanite could ever muster.

That is the reality.

You are basing your entire premise on your personal experience.  I am basing mine on historical reality based on facts about people who have survived and how they have lived.  In other words, I travel, and I READ.   Diaries, documents, historic sites...... information that can be gathered beyond one's personal experiences.

In one of the Native American villages we visited this past summer, the historic evidence is that the women built all the homes themselves (and they weren't tepees) and took care of them by themselves (structurally, that is) while the men hunted buffalo and made war with other tribes.

Women can build.  Women can hunt.  Women can defend against attack.  Women can farm.  Women can ride horses.

These are facts.  And they don't threaten anyone's masculinity a bit.

As for the barn building stuff..... I am much better with a hammer and nails than I am with knitting needles or at a quilting bee.   The first and one of the only C's I got in school was in sewing (you know, what the girls had to take while the boys got to make things in shop?).

Everyone (both male and female) cannot be put into your tiny box and made the same.   You allow males to be whatever they're good at (some are rugged, some are bankers and accountants, and that's OK), but you want to put all women into a cultural mold of human creation........ some societal "system" you want to exist.

Let me wear pants and give me a hammer and nails and a circular saw, and get me the heck away from sewing machines and crochet needles!  Allow us to be different without being accused of being wrong. :2gunz:

Edited to add:

btw, just thought about your 'anecdote' remark and need to rebuff it.  Josie was a real person, whose cabin can be visited near Vernal, Utah.   I obviously never claimed she was the 'norm.'   That's not at all the point.

She was real, as were many other women who did remarkable things either because they were forced to by circumstance, or chose to (like Calamity Jane).  Your denial that these women exists doesn't make them disappear from the record, @roamer_1 .
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:21:17 pm by musiclady »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2018, 03:17:54 pm »
Ah, you haven't met Mom.

He hasn't met a LOT of people!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2018, 06:12:56 pm »

Women can build.  Women can hunt.  Women can defend against attack.  Women can farm.  Women can ride horses.

Knock yourself out...

Offline musiclady

« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2018, 06:22:37 pm »
Knock yourself out...

Way to address the issues I brought up.  *****rollingeyes*****

I guess that means you acknowledge the validity of the multiple, factual points I made.  Right?

btw, this is twice now that you've completely dismissed historic evidence I've provided in order to protect your personal worldview.

I find that curious.

Or maybe not.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 06:23:19 pm by musiclady »

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2018, 06:00:49 pm »

Are skirts the next men’s fashion trend?

https://nypost.com/2018/01/12/are-skirts-the-next-mens-fashion-trend/

Nope.
Well, maybe for the metrosexuals and bleep.....
Not "normal" men.