Author Topic: Why Did We Start Wearing Pants?  (Read 4900 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Why Did We Start Wearing Pants?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 09:42:44 pm »
Like when you go to stab a cherry tomato in your salad with your fork and the tomato goes shooting across the table. That doesn't happen when you use chop sticks to pick it up.

Or you could pick it up with a spoon and eat it whole.

But once I did that, and squirted our baby daughter in the face across the table.

It took a while before she forgave me.  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 09:45:05 pm »
Or you could pick it up with a spoon and eat it whole.

But once I did that, and squirted our baby daughter in the face across the table.

It took a while before she forgave me.  ^-^

See?  Shoulda used chopsticks and then cut it with a knife.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 09:46:28 pm »
Like when you go to stab a cherry tomato in your salad with your fork and the tomato goes shooting across the table. That doesn't happen when you use chop sticks to pick it up.

exactly
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 09:58:27 pm »
@BassWrangler
A fork is not better then a chopstick.   Different tool, different use

When used in the right way with the right foods the chopstick is far superior than a fork.

The hell you say. 

I don't butter my butt and call it a biscuit.  Well I do, but that is a whole different thread.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 10:02:38 pm »
BURMA!

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 10:03:45 pm »
The hell you say. 

I don't butter my butt and call it a biscuit.  Well I do, but that is a whole different thread.

I hope this isn't going to devolve into another conversation about **** ****s again.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 10:39:26 pm »
I hope this isn't going to devolve into another conversation about **** ****s again.

I learned how tobuse chop sticks eating peanuts while drinking.   It may

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 10:41:19 pm »
I learned how tobuse chop sticks eating peanuts while drinking.   It may

I see you're still practicing. 
 :tongue2:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2018, 01:45:01 am »
RoosGirl wrote:
"Like when you go to stab a cherry tomato in your salad with your fork and the tomato goes shooting across the table. That doesn't happen when you use chop sticks to pick it up."

Do it right to begin with.
Use your fingers.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2018, 01:49:48 am »
I see you're still practicing. 
 :tongue2:

Scotch but no peanuts

Actually my phone is possessed.  It changes stuff
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:51:04 am by driftdiver »

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2018, 01:58:49 am »
Exactly, @ConstitutionRose

As an athletic female, I always preferred pants to skirts.   Back in the late 60's and early 70's when Christian colleges made women wear dresses, the skirts kept getting shorter and shorter until finally administrations must have realized that allowing women students to wear pants allowed them to be far more modest, and they removed the silly dress code.

Sometimes rule makers get hoisted by their own petards and have to change the arbitrary rules in order to keep the actual goal in mind.
When the small private religious college I was attending changed the rule, my Dad showed up and took me shopping for pants sets and pants suits. 😊
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2018, 02:16:22 am »
Did somebody say kilts?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 02:21:52 am »
Why Did We Start Wearing Pants?

Women.
For some reason, they all think men should put pants on.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2018, 02:25:52 am »
@BassWrangler
A fork is not better then a chopstick.   Different tool, different use

When used in the right way with the right foods the chopstick is far superior than a fork.

A knife works just fine for everything you can't drink...

Women again.
They all seem to demand you use a fork, and wear pants...

Offline musiclady

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2018, 02:46:16 am »
When the small private religious college I was attending changed the rule, my Dad showed up and took me shopping for pants sets and pants suits. 😊

Smart Dad!  ^-^

Protecting his daughter by providing her decent and modest apparel.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2018, 02:57:38 am »
Did somebody say kilts?

Now, those are some nice kilts.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2018, 03:00:32 am »
Now, those are some nice kilts.

Indeed.  :laugh:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2018, 03:00:44 am »
Women.
For some reason, they all think men should put pants on.

Women always find a way to ruin a man's life. Just think before that... After a hard day of hunting and foraging those guys came back to the village and were perfectly content sitting on a log around a fire  manspreading and scratching their sack while sucking on a rib bone.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2018, 03:04:00 am »
Women always find a way to ruin a man's life. Just think before that... After a hard day of hunting and foraging those guys came back to the village and were perfectly content sitting on a log around a fire  manspreading and scratching their sack while sucking on a rib bone.

IT IS EVER SO.
Hunting camp,
Nuff said.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2018, 03:37:31 am »
You want me to fix that? I have answers to the question about what's under a Scotsman's kilt.
Ah Frank, everyone knows that, there's even a song

! No longer available

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2018, 03:40:35 am »
Wow, we really have some he-man woman haters.  Interesting.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2018, 06:21:43 am »
@To-Whose-Benefit?  - Did Vikings always wear pants, or did they ever wear robes of some sort?

It seems that in colder climes with horses and riding being involved, pants are a necessity.

I'll bet Viking women wore them too.

That silly side-saddle stuff because women needed to wear dresses is one of the most ridiculous ways to keep women in "their place."

@musiclady

Kinda hard to say.

Depending on how far back you go the actual records get pretty hard to track down but by what's generally recognized as The Viking Age from the 796 raid on Lindisfarne Abby to the death of King Harald Harfagr at Stamford Bridge in 1066, Yes. Pants it was.

As to the Ladies, the Viking Law codes of the day criminalized cross dressing. One Saga has 2 characters conspiring against one's husband by urging she "Make him a shirt with a neck cut so low that he will be outlawed for it."

But I'm betting that if the farm was short enough of men for whatever reason, they did whatever they had to do to get the work done rather than starve come winter. Women farmers generally took care of the dairy, cows, the house, wove fabrics and made clothes, and a whole host of the day to day back breaking labor of subsistence farmers, . . . in dresses.

They were forbidden by law to wear men's clothing - as in pants. It was also a criminal offence for a woman to cut her hair short or wear weapons. No swords. But most of them wore work knives that would get you arrested on the street today, and most kept a spear and ax within easy reach, and knew how to use them.

Really knowing how to use a spear - without throwing it, but thrust and retreat (it's all about the correct fighting distance: keep your opponent in reach while staying beyond theirs') - can make almost any lady a very formidable opponent. It's quite a skill. Takes practice. It's not an 'on the job training' thing.

Interesting aside on women's hair:

Once a woman was married, IE: no longer a virgin, she then tied her hair back.
[And with that act, the husband was expected to provide a substantial 'morning after' gift to his bride for her favors. Something of real value to increase her dowry, which, if the marriage hit the rocks and they parted, departed with the bride.]

Women and girls who were virgins advertised it by wearing their hair loose and untied.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2018, 07:48:24 am »
Did somebody say kilts?

It's not the kilts, it's the fact there's nothing on under them. Doesn't that make certain things drafty?

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline musiclady

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2018, 03:01:25 pm »
@musiclady

Kinda hard to say.

Depending on how far back you go the actual records get pretty hard to track down but by what's generally recognized as The Viking Age from the 796 raid on Lindisfarne Abby to the death of King Harald Harfagr at Stamford Bridge in 1066, Yes. Pants it was.

As to the Ladies, the Viking Law codes of the day criminalized cross dressing. One Saga has 2 characters conspiring against one's husband by urging she "Make him a shirt with a neck cut so low that he will be outlawed for it."

But I'm betting that if the farm was short enough of men for whatever reason, they did whatever they had to do to get the work done rather than starve come winter. Women farmers generally took care of the dairy, cows, the house, wove fabrics and made clothes, and a whole host of the day to day back breaking labor of subsistence farmers, . . . in dresses.

They were forbidden by law to wear men's clothing - as in pants. It was also a criminal offence for a woman to cut her hair short or wear weapons. No swords. But most of them wore work knives that would get you arrested on the street today, and most kept a spear and ax within easy reach, and knew how to use them.

Really knowing how to use a spear - without throwing it, but thrust and retreat (it's all about the correct fighting distance: keep your opponent in reach while staying beyond theirs') - can make almost any lady a very formidable opponent. It's quite a skill. Takes practice. It's not an 'on the job training' thing.

Interesting aside on women's hair:

Once a woman was married, IE: no longer a virgin, she then tied her hair back.
[And with that act, the husband was expected to provide a substantial 'morning after' gift to his bride for her favors. Something of real value to increase her dowry, which, if the marriage hit the rocks and they parted, departed with the bride.]

Women and girls who were virgins advertised it by wearing their hair loose and untied.

THANK you, @To-Whose-Benefit? !

I knew you would have answers to those questions, and interesting ones at that.

I was thinking that the cold weather in Scandinavia would require women to wear at least some form of leggings to keep warm enough to survive.

It also makes sense that, as in American pioneer days, if work needed to be done on the farm/ranch and the men were out, the women would just do it.

And that probably included defending the family from invaders.

Fascinating stuff!  Thanks again!

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2018, 05:09:05 pm »
@musiclady

This is a bit of a The Saga of Gisli, who is married to Aud. Gisli has been outlawed. A band of men led by Eyjolf are out looking to kill him. Eyjolf has just searched a possible hiding place and come up empty handed.

Eyjolf said, "We have had nothing but bad luck in this case and we may as well turn back."
And so they do, but Eyjolf says he will visit Aud first. They come to the steading (house) and walk in, and Eyjolf settled down again to have a talk with Aud. He had this to say.
"I will make a bargain with you Aud," he says, "that you tell me where Gisli is and I will give you the sixty ounces of silver which I have taken as the price on his head. You shall not be there when we take his life. It will also follow that I will arrange a marriage for you that will be better in every way than this one has been. You can see for yourself," he says, "how miserable it becomes for you, living in this deserted fiord, and having this happen to you because of Gisli's bad luck, and never seeing your kinsfolk or their families."
She answers, "I think the last thing," she says, "that we are likely to agree about is that you could arrange any marriage for me that I would think as good as this one. Even so, it is true, as they say, that cash is the widow's best comfort, and let me see whether this silver is as much or as fine as you say it is."
He pours the silver into her lap then, and she puts her hand into it while he counts it and turns it over before her. Gudrid, her foster-daughter, begins to cry.
She goes out and finds Gisli and she says to him:
"My foster-mother has gone out of her wits, and she is going to betray you."
Gisli spoke, "Put your mind at rest, for it will not be treachery from Aud that will be the cause of my death."
And he spoke a verse:

Loud they tongue my lady
Lords of masted fiord elks, (ships)
Hoards she, they say, hard thoughts
Heart deep for her partner.
I have seen that single
Sorrow keeps she, mourning:
True drops, never traitor
Tears fall from my dear one

Then the girl goes home again and says nothing of where she has been. Eyjolf has then counted the silver, and Aud spoke:
"In no way is the silver less or poorer than you have said, and you will think now that I have the right to do with it as I please."
Eyjolf agrees with this gladly and tells her certainly to do what she likes with it. Aud takes the silver and puts it in a big purse; she stands up and swings the purse with the silver in it at Eyjolf's nose, so that the blood spurts out all over him. Then she spoke:
"Take that for your easy faith, and every harm with it. There was never any likelihood that I would give my husband over to you, scoundrel. Take your money, and shame and disgrace with it! You will remember, as long as you live, you miserable man, that a woman has struck you; and yet you will not get what you want for all that!"
Then Eyjolf said, "Seize the bitch and kill her, woman or not!"
Havard has something to say: "This errand has been poor enough, without this coward's work. Stand up men, and do not let him get his way in this."
Eyjolf said: "The old saying is true. A man's worst following comes from home."
Havard was a well-liked man and many of them were ready to back him up, besides wanting to turn Eyjolf from a bad act; and Eyjolf has to be satisfied to leave it at this and go. Before Havard went out Aud spoke to him:
"It would be wrong not to pay you the debt that Gisli owes you, and here is a gold finger-ring that I want you to have."
"I would not have claimed it." Says Havard.
"I want to pay it, though," says Aud.
She was really giving him the ring for the help he had given her.
Havard got himself a horse, and rides south to Strond, to Gest, son of Oddleif, and he refuses to stay with Eyjolf any longer. Eyjolf goes home to Otradal, discontented with what had been done; and indeed it was everywhere thought to have been most contemptible.

My kind of Woman!
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com