Author Topic: Developer halts plans after likely Civil War graves found  (Read 1092 times)

rangerrebew

Developer halts plans after likely Civil War graves found
« on: January 13, 2018, 08:48:20 pm »
Originally published January 12, 2018 at 1:32 pm Updated January 12, 2018 at 3:34 pm

By JONATHAN MATTISE
The Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Developers halted plans Friday for a sprawling entertainment and residential complex in Tennessee after archaeologists discovered what they believe are graves on a site near a Civil War fort built by slaves.

The decision gave preservationists a victory in the latest clash between historic conservation and growth in Nashville, a booming city with a complicated racial past.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/developer-halts-plans-after-likely-civil-war-graves-found/

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Developer halts plans after likely Civil War graves found
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 08:57:25 pm »
A liberals wet dream.  It have everything.  Confederate state. Slaves. Freed slaves made slaves again and forced to work for the Union. Dead bodies. A shithole piece of land targeted for urban renewal....Project halted. Investors pull out.  The Shithole remains.  Victory!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:58:25 pm by Wingnut »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 11:43:01 pm »
Originally published January 12, 2018 at 1:32 pm Updated January 12, 2018 at 3:34 pm

By JONATHAN MATTISE
The Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Developers halted plans Friday for a sprawling entertainment and residential complex in Tennessee after archaeologists discovered what they believe are graves on a site near a Civil War fort built by slaves.

The decision gave preservationists a victory in the latest clash between historic conservation and growth in Nashville, a booming city with a complicated racial past.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/developer-halts-plans-after-likely-civil-war-graves-found/
Every city has a 'complicated racial past.

Get over it.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 12:13:56 am »
If they're Confederate soldiers they will just plow them under.  Problem solved.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 01:38:38 am »
If they're Confederate soldiers they will just plow them under.  Problem solved.

Highly unlikely there are any Confederates among these graves.  Fort Negley was built primarily by forced labor of black men and women, to defend Nashville from Confederate counter-attack after the city was captured in 1862; some of those laborers are probably those buried there.  Nashville in 1864 was the most fortified city in the western hemisphere.

BTW HoustonSam is an unreconstructed son of Confederates and a native of the Nashville area, although not this particular neighborhood.  The Army of Tennessee did not move as far north as Fort Negley in its ill-fated 1864 Franklin-Nashville campaign.  However I believe there are Confederates from the campaign buried in the adjacent old Nashville City Cemetery, alongside Dick "Baldy" Ewell and the pro-Union Nashvillian Captain William Driver, who gave the US flag its nickname "Old Glory."  The number of our dead at Nashville is still not known, but it's a safe bet there were fewer than two weeks earlier at Franklin.

As the remnants of the shattered Army of Tennessee retreated back into northern Alabama behind Forrest's rear guard, they sang of their commanding officer, to the tune of "Yellow Rose of Texas" :

"You may talk about your Beauregard
and sing of General Lee,
but the gallant Hood of Texas
played hell in Tennessee"
James 1:20

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 03:01:57 am »
As the remnants of the shattered Army of Tennessee retreated back into northern Alabama behind Forrest's rear guard, they sang of their commanding officer, to the tune of "Yellow Rose of Texas" :

"You may talk about your Beauregard
and sing of General Lee,
but the gallant Hood of Texas
played hell in Tennessee"
I love it.

I also love to read anything about Nathan Bedford Forrest.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 03:33:04 am »
I love it.

I also love to read anything about Nathan Bedford Forrest.

History was written mainly about the ANV and the campaigns of the east, but the war was actually won in the west.  I sometimes wonder when I drive south down TX FM 521 through Brazoria County past China Grove plantation, one-time home of Albert Sydney Johnston, whether things really would have been different had he not been killed at Shiloh.  One theory of his death is that his leg was partially numbed by his 1837 duel with TX General Felix Huston, when Johnston had been wounded in the pelvis, and consequently he did not realize he had been shot at Shiloh until he had nearly bled to death.  Davis later wrote that the fate of the Confederacy had been sealed with Johnston's death.  I was a bit surprised to see his portrait still hanging in the TX Senate chamber just this past summer.

Forrest is, in my opinion, unfairly judged by history due to his pre-war slave trading business and his post-war association with the original KKK.  Serious students of the war also associate him with the Fort Pillow massacre.  Forgotten is his order to the original KKK to burn their robes and disband, or his later-life change of heart in relations with the freed slaves.  The city of Memphis just in the last month sold Forrest Park to private interests, specifically to avoid TN state law which prevented them from removing his statue from the park; I guess they'll exhume him next.  Both Sherman and Lee regarded him as the premier cavalry officer of the war.  He basically threatened to kill Braxton Bragg after the Chattanooga debacle.  His bust still sits in the TN state capitol but I fear "progress" will inevitably have its way with him.  "First with the most" was a ground-breaking tactician and a complex and interesting figure indeed.
James 1:20

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 02:55:01 am »
History was written mainly about the ANV and the campaigns of the east, but the war was actually won in the west.  I sometimes wonder when I drive south down TX FM 521 through Brazoria County past China Grove plantation, one-time home of Albert Sydney Johnston, whether things really would have been different had he not been killed at Shiloh.  One theory of his death is that his leg was partially numbed by his 1837 duel with TX General Felix Huston, when Johnston had been wounded in the pelvis, and consequently he did not realize he had been shot at Shiloh until he had nearly bled to death.  Davis later wrote that the fate of the Confederacy had been sealed with Johnston's death.  I was a bit surprised to see his portrait still hanging in the TX Senate chamber just this past summer.

Forrest is, in my opinion, unfairly judged by history due to his pre-war slave trading business and his post-war association with the original KKK.  Serious students of the war also associate him with the Fort Pillow massacre.  Forgotten is his order to the original KKK to burn their robes and disband, or his later-life change of heart in relations with the freed slaves.  The city of Memphis just in the last month sold Forrest Park to private interests, specifically to avoid TN state law which prevented them from removing his statue from the park; I guess they'll exhume him next.  Both Sherman and Lee regarded him as the premier cavalry officer of the war.  He basically threatened to kill Braxton Bragg after the Chattanooga debacle.  His bust still sits in the TN state capitol but I fear "progress" will inevitably have its way with him.  "First with the most" was a ground-breaking tactician and a complex and interesting figure indeed.
I simply hate the PC and revisionist history going on.  Never a level playing field, just one sided.

Every statue of every Democrat should be removed due to their party's platforms on resistance to civil rights and their participation in the KKK.