Author Topic: And we return to Munich's migration back to Windows - it's going to cost what now?! €100m!  (Read 2753 times)

Offline ShadowAce

From The Register:

Munich City officials could waste €100m reversing a 15-year process that replaced proprietary software with open source following an official vote last year.

Munich officials in 2003 voted to migrate to an in-house custom version of Ubuntu Linux called LiMux and tailor digital docs to be compatible with LibreOffice. Now the councillors have decided that Munich will switch some 29,000 PCs to Windows 10 and phase out Linux by early 2023.

The cost of the U-turn could be even more catastrophic if another council vote by the end of 2018 fails to take a more reasoned tally. An approval would replace the open-source office suite LibreOffice with Microsoft Office.

That decision will cost the city upwards of €50m plus another €50m to revert to Windows 10, according to reports. The bill results from a combination of buying Windows 10 licences and converting some 12,000 LibreOffice templates and macros along with developing a new templating system for Microsoft Office.

(Excerpted.  Read more at The Register )
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:49:52 pm by ShadowAce »

Offline ShadowAce

@BikkFire @geronl @Smokin Joe @roamer_1 @Blizzardnh @markomalley @VarmintAl @Doug Loss @Rikki Tikki Tavi @guitar4jesus @kevindavis @Oceander @EC

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Sheesh! At least wait for a better version.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ShadowAce

Sheesh! At least wait for a better version.
Makes me think they're just looking for ways to spend money.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Or the globalist oligarchy (in this case, Gates, who is well down with globalist policies) is looking for ways to gather more from the taxpayers there.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee

Precisely. I use Linux all day long. It will do anything Windows will do. What normally happens is some high-level bureaucrat will order some incompatible hardware. When they discover it won't work with Linux, they want to toss in the towel. Either that or they just refuse to learn anything new.
It's the same excuses people use to stay on Windows 7 or Office 2000.
The funny thing is they will get a Mac and say "This is so much better than Linux".
Countdown to Resignation

Offline jpsb

It's the same excuses people use to stay on Windows 7 or Office 2000.

Windows 10 (and Windows 8) suck. A one size OS fits all devices solution? No thank you I will stay
with windows 7. Oh, Linux sucks too. At least Mac is running a real Unix OS unlike that
hacked up Linux OS.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:42:13 pm by jpsb »

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Windows 10 (and Windows 8) suck. A one size OS fits all devices solution? No thank you I will stay
with windows 7. Oh, Linux sucks too. At least Mac is running a real Unix OS unlike that
hacked up Linux OS.

Same mentality.
And saying Linux isn't real Unix is unintentionally hilarious.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline ShadowAce

And saying Linux isn't real Unix is unintentionally hilarious.
Yeah--tells us more about the poster than he probably wanted us to know.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Linux isn't Unix though.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Linux isn't Unix though.

I work with both and they are identical. There is literally no difference to the person using it. We ported everything over without any changes to the code except for one change to the print area of a COBOL program. Even the unix scripts were unchanged except for converting PGP to GPG. The reason is that you adapt Linux to be just like your previous version of Unix.

Windows Server and Windows Desktop are more different than Solaris and Red Hat.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I work with both and they are identical. There is literally no difference to the person using it. We ported everything over without any changes to the code except for one change to the print area of a COBOL program. Even the unix scripts were unchanged except for converting PGP to GPG. The reason is that you adapt Linux to be just like your previous version of Unix.

Windows Server and Windows Desktop are more different than Solaris and Red Hat.

I work with both and I can tell that while the commands are largely the same, the code underlying both are very different. Not that that is a bad thing necessarily.