Author Topic: Survey Shows Majority Of Pensioners Have No Idea Their State and City Pensions Are Underfunded  (Read 1334 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: ZERO HEDGE

URL: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01-04/stunning-survey-reveals-majority-pensioners-have-no-idea-their-pensions-are

Over the past several years, we've written a countless number of posts on the precarious financial situation of numerous state and local public pensions around the country all while frustratingly wondering how the massive $3-$6 trillion dollar ticking time bomb doesn't seem to be that much of a concern to frothy asset markets.  As it turns out, precisely no one (our readers excluded, of course), including the workers who are active participants in insolvent public pension ponzi schemes, have any idea just how underfunded they really are.

According to a staggering new survey conducted by Spectrem Group, 6 out of 10 CalPERS retirees and 8 out of 10 NYC retirees are apparently under the illusion that their pensions are fully funded...

NYC Funds pension members were the most likely to indicate that their pension is fully funded (80%) while the CalPERS members were the least likely to indicate that their pension was fully funded (63%). Sixty-six percent of National members indicated that they believe their pension fund is fully funded. In reality, none of these pensions are fully funded. Based upon annual reports, CalPERS is funded at 68.1% and NYC Funds is funded at 62%.

Of course, as this one simple map illustrates, reality is somewhat different than the hopes and dreams of America's public pensioners.  In fact, when using realistic discount rates, there is only 1 state pension system in the entire country, Wisconsin, that is more than 50% funded....all the others are trillions of dollars short.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline SirLinksALot

Offline SirLinksALot

Offline SirLinksALot

Offline SirLinksALot

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The majority of Americans - whatever their current status  - are pretty much economically illiterate.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
In California they are not worried in the least because they all know the California taxpayer is on the hook for all of it.

Offline Hoodat

The vast majority of Americans have no idea that Social Security is an entitlement program just like welfare.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

The majority of Americans - whatever their current status  - are pretty much economically illiterate.

QFT
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The vast majority of Americans have no idea that Social Security is an entitlement program just like welfare.
That is because the politicians and bureaucrats have consistently lied about what Social Security is and what it is not.

It is the biggest Ponzi scheme ever constructed(which any private entity would have serious jail time if caught doing it), has zero assets and is a massive generational transfer of wealth.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline LMAO

That is because the politicians and bureaucrats have consistently lied about what Social Security is and what it is not.

It is the biggest Ponzi scheme ever constructed(which any private entity would have serious jail time if caught doing it), has zero assets and is a massive generational transfer of wealth.

Which is why reforms and cuts to it will be met with a lot of backlash and howling. But the cuts will have to come when it comes to SS and Medicare.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I don't know where these guys are getting their info. New York State's pension fund is pretty much fully covered. It's constitutionally protected (and the unions consider it sacred), and any shortfalls end up getting passed on to local governments, who are taxed to cover the difference.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
You will face strong opposition, convincing people that paid into SS for 50 years, that they are no different than welfare leeches.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Hoodat

You will face strong opposition, convincing people that paid into SS for 50 years, that they are no different than welfare leeches.

Those people didn't pay into social security.  They paid into the general fund.

And I never said they were leeches.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-